[ROM][Android9.0][RockPI 4A/B] Android TV firmware released

哈哈,又瞎折腾一把,下次记得整个右键跟底部栏调音键补偿补偿。

2019.11.22 new version release.

I must say the software support for the RockPi 4 is great.

Any work going on towards Android 10?

Hi
i have magicsee n6 max rk3399 and i want to update my device to this version .
I updated it but it didn’t work out.
Is there any way to make this firmware work with my device?
Thank you.

Continuing the discussion from [ROM][Android9.0][RockPI 4A/B] Android TV firmware released:

If you still use a Magicsee device, I would recommend you get rid of it as soon as possible as they have no support. This firmware also won’t work on it as it’s for very different hardware components.

@Lili

Hi

The Google Play Store updated itself to the new layout on your firmware and on mine.

Now I can’t use a keyboard or airmouse to click on the top Apps, Games, Settings anymore.

Here are screenshots of the new Play Store

And app(Can just install it, it will update old Play Store app if not already updated)
https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-play-store-android-tv/google-play-store-android-tv-17-8-17-release/

Is there a way to fix it in firmware perhaps, the app maybe uses different keylayouts now?

Also browsing the first row of apps where it changes the background for those 5 apps, it lags and is very slow, takes 2 seconds to browse left, right between the apps but the app rows below that that don’t change the background is faster. There is probably not something in firmware that can fix this slow browsing? Maybe only if Google updates the Play Store app again?

Also pressing back(right mouse button) or ESC, it doesn’t close the new Play Store app, only way to exit it is to press the Home button to return to the launcher.

Thanks

I haven’t updated your UI here, And I installed the link to GooglePlay, GooglePlay UI is the same as before.

Also update AndroidTV Home app
https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/android-tv-home-android-tv/android-tv-home-android-tv-1-12-5-280096032-f-release/android-tv-home-1-12-5-280096032-f-android-apk-download/

In the Google Play Store, make sure the store is version v7.8.17.
Update all the apps inside the Google Play Store, there might be 5 apps or so to update.
After everything is updated, restart and open the Google Play Store again.
Check if your router is busy when opening the Google Play Store, it might be downloading files still, when router activity stops, Google Play Store and all the apps will then be finished updating.
It should have the new layout.

I read it is a server side switch Google makes if they detect you have the latest apps installed and won’t just happen instantly if you install the new Play Store app.

I wonder if the problem is not perhaps that the DPI must be 320.
I will also try this.
Update: 320 DPI also doesn’t help.
I tried the new Play Store on other AndroidTV Amlogic devices and it allowed me to choose the top items.
If this can’t get fixed, you won’t be able to install apps or update them anymore on AndroidTV firmware on RockPi 4.

Oddly enough, I still have the same UI here.

I reinstalled my firmware and also only get the old layout now.
At least the Play Store can work now.

I read Google makes a server side change to show you the new layout and it’s not necessarily the new app version that shows the new layout.
Some users with Google Nexus devices I heard also got the new layout and now Google pulled it to show the old layout. So maybe Google is still experimenting with it or improving the new layout before rolling it out. But strange that I also saw the new layout on my Amlogic devices and the new layout stays and works correctly.

Is your Amlogic device a certified ATV device? Maybe our upstream code isn’t as new as amlogic.

It is Mecool KM8(Google Certified), I also updated Google Play and apps on Rockchip RK3328 AndroidTV Nougat(not Google Certified) and it also updated to the new ATV Play Store layout and there you can choose the top menus correctly. Maybe can check if there is something in RK3328 Nougat ATV that can help?

Maybe need to build it as tv or atv instead of box and
include device/google/atv/?

Maybe can experiment with these settings to see if AndroidTV can be built differently?

@Lili
Late yesterday the Google Play Store on RockPi 4 ATV firmware updated again to the new layout :frowning:We really need a way to solve it.

I think there might be atv flags in device/rockchip/common or frameworks/overlays that only get activated if firmware is build as atv which is missing in box firmware that might change the dimensions of AndroidTV that might help.
But I did try to build firmware as TARGET_BOARD_PLATFORM_PRODUCT := atv & PRODUCT_CHARACTERISTICS := tv
PRODUCT_AAPT_CONFIG := normal large xlarge hdpi xhdpi
PRODUCT_AAPT_PREF_CONFIG := xhdpi
& included atv_generic.mk
but it displayed the bootanimation in an endless loop.

2020.03.04 new version release.

When will we be seeing Android 10?

And also when can we expect to see the rock960 builds?

We have no plans to upgrade to android10. temporary.

Hi @Lili

Can you check

1. With the new kernel highspeed sd-card change
    I can’t boot new firmware from a Sandisk Ultra 64GB micro-sd card anymore, it says system mount error and can’t run script.
    I also tested on a Adata 64GB micro-sd card and it booted fine.
    If I remove the kernel change then Android also boots on the Sandisk Ultra 64GB card.
    Is it some incompatibility that can be fixed?

2. Also can you test stock Android recovery with latest firmware?
    https://gitlab.com/google-group/platform/bootable/recovery/-/commits/rk33/mid/9.0/develop
    I tried all branches but couldn’t get it to work, they all fail with an error and boot to the recovery screen. Stock recovery is needed for latest SDDiskTool v1.59 to transplant firmware from a micro-sd card to the emmc easily.

Thanks

1. I merged stock Android recovery:
    https://gitlab.com/rk-vendor/platform/bootable/recovery/-/tree/rk3399-9.0

2. Let me see if I have Sandisk Ultra 64GB card.

The full name of the micro-sd card that can’t work with new firmware is
Sandisk Ultra MicroSDXC 64GB UHS-I. Capacity: 64 GB, Flash card type: MicroSDXC, Flash memory class: Class 10, Internal memory type: UHS-I, Read speed: 80 MB/s.

I tested with my own new firmware and with new stock firmware several times and also reformatted it with SD Format tools in Windows but it always failed with finding and formatting partitions in TWRP and said script failed and then the screen said no signal.

With
Adata MicroSDXC Card and Adapter (64GB)(Class 10), 50MBPS read speed, it is working

With stock recovery, the following error:
bootable/recovery/vendor.c:27:8: error: expected ‘;’ after top level declarator
int run-vendor(const char *filename, char *const argv[])

Must not perhaps change to same as Nougat commit?
int runVendor instead of ‘run-vendor’