I want to run some compute and I/O intensive P2P software. However, no matter what I do the system can’t run stable for more than 30 minutes. I have also tried copying data from another machine using rsync. That also leads to a crash eventually (<30 minutes).
My hardware config:
Radxa Rock 5B
Radxa power adapter (I tried a variety of others but bought the official one eventually just to be sure)
WD Black SN850X 4TB NVME
OS running on microSD (I tried running the OS from NVME as well, doesn’t make a difference)
I tried various OS images:
rock-5b_debian_bullseye_cli_b39
rock-5b-archlinux-installer
Armbian_23.2.1_Rock-5b_jammy_legacy_5.10.160 (<-- most stable so far)
Observations:
Power meter at power socket seems to suggest power consumption usually doesn’t exceed 12W
CPU and NVME temperature doesn’t usually exceed 70˚C (I have also tried throttling the system and maintaining <40˚C as well but that doesn’t help either)
Not running anything (idle system) seems ‘stable’
Tried (without effect?):
Throttling mem clock: echo 1560000000 | sudo tee /sys/class/devfreq/dmc/max_freq
Throttling CPU clock: echo 408000 | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed
Setting affinity of my processes to ensure only 4 out 8 cores are being used heavily to reduce overall load
No matter what I do the system eventually crashes. Symptoms vary. Sometimes it’s a core dump. Often the OS becomes corrupted/unusable: for example, my P2P processes are still running alongside other things such as htop but entering new commands in the terminal result in ‘Segmentation Fault’ or other weird errors (e.g., shared libraries are corrupted etc…). Shortly after the whole system crashes.
I am really frustrated right now and could use some help.
Even though U-Boot and BL31 is different on the SD card, the SPL on SPI-NOR flash (if present) will always have precedence. So if your board does not like the ddr binairy that is on SPI-NOR flash that much, it does not matter which boot medium you use, you’re always using that ddr binairy.
So install 2400Mhznewest ddr binairy on SPI-NOR flash and see if that helps.
Also make sure your power cable wires (copper) is thick enough, although I found that the problem here results in sudden reboots.
However, I think you may be referring to something different that I haven’t tried yet. Would you mind pointing me at the relevant docs or where to find the 2400 MHz DDR binary?
Thank you!
BTW, the cable I use is the one that comes with the official Radxa power adapter. So I am assuming that’s fine.
@Eric_Woudstra
How would you write it to SD/eMMC with dd ?
And does it search for /extlinux/exlinux.conf ? and the contents is the same as radxa extlinux?