Quad SATA HAT Assembly and Troubleshooting

I think it’s the right behaviour. It means the HDD “activity”.

Hello,

I am new to Linux and OMV. I bought the Quad NAS and got OMV5 setup. OMV sees the drives, but when I try to create a RAID, the drives dont show up. Theres a note about the USB devices not being listed (too unreliable). Please help.

OMV hates USB drives and will refuse to create raids with it… u can get around it by manually creating a raid array via command line… google around on how to create raid arrays… OMV will pick up the created raid array just fine…

Hi there,
I created a RAID array as well, works fine, reading-writing to and from through sftp is working, I am running ubuntu on it.
How do I make the case to display the array’s capacitiy as it did with individual drives before the array?
With individual drives the display was rolling through the system data (cpu heat, percentage), the used/available memory, the Rockpi Hat thingy, and it was displaying. sda 22%, sdb 10% for drive usage. I formatted the drives, created a RAID0 with mdadm, copied data onto it, its name is md0, and I was expecting the display to show the array’s state, like it did before with the drives, but it just skips that screen. It still displays the cpu stats, the memory stats, and the RockPi Hat but then starts over. No info on the array.

Is it capable of doing it?

you can do it if you know how to do it in python… i didnt have time to explore how to tweak the python script to do so, but i’m sure theres a way to do it…

Here comes another language I need to learn :slight_smile: lol

to do what you want to do, i dun think you need to fully learn the language… i have 0 coding experience, and i manage to make some modifications to the script to suit my needs…

yea, I guess it won’t be too difficult. just have to look around in the code.

@setq is there any “howto” for spinning down the HDDs after shutdown the pi? thx

Good afternoon, I got my sata hat, but neither the display nor the cooler works, what could be the problem1234

@Red_Hat

The cable may be broken, can you find another one to test it?

well I tried putting some extra info into the config files and the configparser, but no luck. also it does not display now anything else other than the cpu load, temp, uptime and ip

this is inside misc.py

def read_conf():
conf = defaultdict(dict)

try:
    cfg = ConfigParser()
    cfg.read('/etc/rockpi-sata.conf')
    # fan
    conf['fan']['lv0'] = cfg.getfloat('fan', 'lv0')
    conf['fan']['lv1'] = cfg.getfloat('fan', 'lv1')
    conf['fan']['lv2'] = cfg.getfloat('fan', 'lv2')
    conf['fan']['lv3'] = cfg.getfloat('fan', 'lv3')
    # key
    conf['key']['click'] = cfg.get('key', 'click')
    conf['key']['twice'] = cfg.get('key', 'twice')
    conf['key']['press'] = cfg.get('key', 'press')
    # time
    conf['time']['twice'] = cfg.getfloat('time', 'twice')
    conf['time']['press'] = cfg.getfloat('time', 'press')
    # other
    conf['slider']['auto'] = cfg.getboolean('slider', 'auto')
    conf['slider']['time'] = cfg.getfloat('slider', 'time')
    conf['oled']['rotate'] = cfg.getboolean('oled', 'rotate')
    conf['oled']['f-temp'] = cfg.getboolean('oled', 'f-temp')
    # disks ***added these three lines and...***
    conf['disk']['root'] = cfg.get('key', 'root')
    conf['disk']['raid'] = cfg.get('key', 'raid')
except Exception:
    # fan
    conf['fan']['lv0'] = 35
    conf['fan']['lv1'] = 40
    conf['fan']['lv2'] = 45
    conf['fan']['lv3'] = 50
    # key
    conf['key']['click'] = 'slider'
    conf['key']['twice'] = 'switch'
    conf['key']['press'] = 'none'
    # time
    conf['time']['twice'] = 0.7  # second
    conf['time']['press'] = 1.8
    # other
    conf['slider']['auto'] = True
    conf['slider']['time'] = 10  # second
    conf['oled']['rotate'] = False
    conf['oled']['f-temp'] = False
    # disks ***added these lines too***
    conf['disk']['root'] = 'mmcblk0p2'
    conf['disk']['raid'] = 'md0'
return conf

and in /etc/rockpi-sata.conf

[disk]
# Try to get info of disk array md0
root = mmcblk0p2
raid = md0

what did I miss or do wrong?

@Istvan_Arany

I have plans to add something new for the display message, and I’ll do that when I’m done with the task at hand.

If you want to try to change it, then it’s located at gen_pages of oled.py

I was tweaking it a little bit, now I think I’ll get it work. Had to look up some of those regexes in the awk command. and how my array shows up with it. cross fingers, its rebooting at the moment

I’m running into walls everywhere…
Is there a command to restart the display?
other than rebooting the pi every time

I got it to display the raid array, but I somehow cannto do it together with root. When I try to give disk info array with ‘root’ and ‘raid’ keys, it doesnt work. if I give only one of them, it does… strange

Hello ,
I am new to Linux and OMV. My fans is too noisy, I could do with some help.

Many option discussed on the “Airflow on the SATA HAT Quad” thread. These include swapping out the top fan for a quiter fan (Noctua), reversing fans, removing the bottom fan, cutting holes in the case and enlarging the bottom plate holes and using an external fan. It’s worth a look.

Okay, I see, many thanks!

Hi, so when I run the install script it gets stuck in the Running Adafruit_PureIO setup step and hangs infinitely. Anyone run into this before or have a solution? Thanks.

Installed /usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/Adafruit_GPIO-1.0.5-py3.7.egg
Searching for adafruit-pureio>=1.1.5
Downloading cos.setf.me/rockpi/pypi/Adafruit_PureIO-v1.1.5.zip
Best match: Adafruit-PureIO 1.1.5
Processing Adafruit_PureIO-v1.1.5.zip
Writing /tmp/easy_install-n2g2xza9/Adafruit_PureIO-1.1.5/setup.cfg
Running Adafruit_PureIO-1.1.5/setup.py -q bdist_egg --dist-dir /tmp/easy_install-n2g2xza9/Adafruit_PureIO-1.1.5/egg-dist-tmp-7hi_zt_r