Power supply for the rockpi

Hey folks,

which power supply do you guys use?

Hi, Donnerspalte

ROCK Pi 4 supports USB Type-C PD 2.0 with 9V/2A, 12V/2A, 15V/2A and 20V/2A. Also, it supports QC 3.0/2.0 with 9V/2A and 12V/1.5A. And you need a USB Type-C charging data cable.

I was also able to power the ROCK Pi4 over the 5V GPIO pins (2 and 4). I provided them with 5V DC with around 30mV ripple out of a 5V/8A buck converter.

I’ve done the same with the 5V GPIO pins. I’ve used a standard LM2576 5V/3A setup. Did you do any benchmarking to see what happens when it starts drawing serious current?

I only did CPU based stress test, which was fine but didn’t draw some very high current. If I find the time, I might try to charge some USB powered devices over the 4 ports. The limiting factor most likely will be the GPIO pins itself. I think they are normally rated for 1A max?

Thanks for your replies. I first tried a normal apple iPad (10W) charger, which worked. But it only has 5V so the Rockpi got an crash during a fullscreen video on Youtube. So I ordered this power supply AUKEY USB C Ladegerät with Power Delivery 3.0 27W from Amazon. I’ll give it a try in the next days when it arrives.

How about 12V?

Is it possible to power the Rock PI 4 from a 12V PSU? Possibly through a cable hack? Or some pins?

In order to reduce cabling and improve efficiency I use a 12V PSU to power several SBCs, a switch and a fan. The PSU has capacity left and I consider adding a Rock PI 4 to it as well.

Should be possible. I think I’ve red it can be powered with dumb voltage up to 20V.
Maybe with this you could do this.

Wait until @jack or @Stephen agree to do this. I wouldn’t want you to burn up that beautiful board.

Yes, you can power from the type C port with dummy 12V, up to 20V. The 40 pin GPIO power input is limited to 5V. Over 5V input from the GPIO will damage the board.