Power supply for the rockpi

https://www.google.com/search?q=usb+c+pd+pinout

There is a data channel but just use a pinout https://www.google.com/search?q=usb+c+pd+pinout

+12v & gnd

" Power

The power supply for the ROCK Pi is really a challenge because unlike other SBC less than 10w power consumption which you can just use 5V/2A to power it. the ROCK Pi’s design power consumption is 15w to 18w. Take USB 3.0 as an example, the spec current for USB 3.0 is 900mA, one port is 4.5W max. So if you have four USB 3.0 ports like NanoPi M4, you need provide 22w at least for the USB only. To meet the higher power consumption of the electronic devices, USB PD is come up with up to 100w power delivery. We support that on ROCK Pi, with USB PD, we can support common USB PD adapter voltage 9V/12V/15V/20V to power the ROCK Pi. For example, you can just plug the 87W power adapter of recent generation Macbook Pro to ROCK Pi and not worrying damage the board. But there is a disadvantage of USB PD, that is the USB PD adapter are expensive currently. Remember we want to design the ROCK Pi for all the countries? Yes, we want a lower cost power adapter solution. So we add Quick Charge adapter support for it. Because everybody uses smart mobile phones nowadays, and even the entry level smart mobile phones supports Qualcomm Quick Charge. So we can just re-use the power adapter of mobile phones to power your ROCK Pi. It can work at 9V level by default, which can provide 9V/2A 18W power supply for ROCK Pi.

Please note that, although we don’t recommend, you can actually power ROCK Pi with ~5V adapter, we have no issue powering it with the 5.1V/3.4A adapter from Radxa Rock2. But if the power adapter output is just 5V, the actual voltage from the adapter to the cable on the other end will drop a little bit, it may not boot."

https://wiki.radxa.com/News/2018/11/introduce-the-new-rockpi-4-hardware

SY8113B BUCK,PWM

Which is sort of strange as Radxa say anything up to 20v but the spec on the onboard buck seems to be a max of 16v/18V.

https://datasheetspdf.com/pdf-file/948510/Silergy/SY8113B/1

12v your fine I have been looking and they all seem the same with one side 2 big pads for vcc & gnd with data lines other side.

1 Like

Checkout page16 of the schematic. The type c power goes into NB679GD, which is 5.5V to 28V input range.

1 Like

Thanks for the datasheet. I get it. When I worked for MS support, we had a saying for lazy coworkers, “RTFM.”
My question came after looking for ~ 1hr (wearing 2 pairs of glasses and a magnifying glass) for NB679GD, but only found ALTG743 which has the same # of pins.
Google & Bing return no results for the ALTG743.

BTW, I have discovered that Amazon carries several USB-C to 5.5x2.1 barrel adapters, if that’s any help to your objective. No need for USB-C breakout adapters. Between the two of us, we’re making progress.

:face_with_monocle: Never mind. Found NB679GD on the last page of:

As I suspected, it is labeled ALTG743.

2 Likes

ALT is the Product code of NB679GD G= year ? 743 = lot its in that spec but could not be sure.

Page 2

1 Like

Well done. You are flying blind w/o a Rock Pi?
I found VCC12V_DCIN on the board.
Thanks for your assistance.:+1:

Yeah I was checking as 12v supply makes far more sense for me. Just going to use an ATX PSU from an old PC so saved me having to purchase as has Sata connectors for the Sata M.2 I got that will likely not work :slight_smile:

You’re probably right, but there M.2 to USB 3.x adapters that might work for you. Of course they aren’t as fast as the NVMe SSDs.

Its the m.2 pice and drivers that might not work.
Generally the USB HD adaptors are poor equivalents, but already have USB if I wanted to use.
Hence the 12v Atx but struggled to find m.2 sata at a good price hopefully Raxda might be able to source a 4 port at reasonable cost, the ASM1061 is a bit mweh.
I would even try a GPU but m.2 to picex16 kits are a tad pricey for just experiment.

Its M.2 which is just a PCIex4 that in theory should support anything up to 4 lanes.
Hence the test, but got the extender also.

Just stumbled across this:

https://wiki.radxa.com/News/2018/11/introduce-the-new-rockpi-4-hardware

M.2 section:
"A PCIE to SATA is also possible with adapter board making the ROCK Pi a NAS. "

Sata card B+M they fit same B I think signals 2 lanes.

What happened to the ‘DC Adapter 12 V’ shown on sheet #3?
This is exactly what we are longing for.

I must admit I am the same and wondering why Raxda don’t supply a 12Vdc power supply that has a 5.5mm to type C adapater.

The 5v and 3.3v for an SBC is great but also 12V is also a major bonus any other voltage just needs extra bucks,
I would prob use the above adapter for the RockPi4 as 5.5mm 12DC splitters are common due to CCTV.

For this sort of thing.

I didn’t buy a PSU because of that and one of those is a target but for now using a ATX but for me voltages other than 12volt don’t make all that much sense. The 5.5mm barrel also has splitters which so far haven’t been able to find for type c. Its that combination that makes standard USB-C PD variable voltage less acceptable and actually seem to be more expensive for ampage output.

1 Like

You found the USB-C to 5.5mm barrel adapters I mentioned. lol
There are also adapters on leads, so that it is less weight on the USB-C connector.

This is what I’ll use for a local power switch and 12 V input, along with a similar power adapter to yours, but only 4 amps.

I am surprised to see HDMI, audio, and other USB-C adapters on the market. But, as you say no splitters and no hubs w/individual switches. 2 way negotiations probably get out of hand when they are in parallel.

1 Like

Yeah not a complaint just some feedback to Radxa or a wiki page on the various above 5.5mm/USB-C peripherals.
I really like the PoE Hat as that is pretty cool for certain situations.

An 8gb eMMC might be a cheap and cheerful boot option that makes it fairly simple to clone the root directory. I think there are some images that go over 4gb but maybe 4gb if people think its common enough.
There was mention of a tiny 100-200mb boot eMMC which is a great idea.
Also to drop another hint for a Radxa 4 port Sata M.2
I have also been looking for a 2x1Gb ethernet M.2 they do exist

https://shop.udoo.org/eu/m-2-dual-ethernet-module-kit.html

No demand, but just saying I would be interested in purchasing as long as the price is reasonable.

Then the long shot due to price I may give a miss but…

If you want the latest greatest Power Delivery adapter, here is it:
https://www.ravpower.com/preoder/61W-PD-GaN-Wall-Charger

That is exactly what we are talking about as for what we want its totally not. Its expensive and provides for many other systems non standard voltage levels and has connectors that forces you to splice and solder cables.

For computer voltage compatibility 12V, 5V and 3.3V are all commonly used and the ravpower costs almost 500% an equivalent wattage 12V transformer can supply whilst not giving the addition of 12V.

You even get a decent length of cable and also a 240v end that doesn’t suffer from extendended length volt drop like low volts DC.

That is what we are saying the USB-C PD types actually have many disadvantages over a 12V one and if you want one as a phone or tablet charger then yeah great but for powering SBC peripherals prob not that great and there are a rake of em on ebay at really good prices.

1 Like

Well, it’s up to the very specific use cases you have. For me, USB-C PD is one of the top must-haves. If you are planing to use 12V DC for multiple SBCs, I’d pick a Mean Well LED 12V power supply, it’s good to power a stack of SBCs.

I posted my setup before, multiple PD power supplies on a power strip with switch button for individual outlets. I don’t keep any non-PD power supply in the house, anything I own can be plugged into those PD power supplies - or directly to the AC outlets, no other DC connectors allowed here :smiley: No need to read the fine print on the label, just plug it in.

Some of the newer PD power supplies doesn’t support 12V rail, I bought one once and immediately returned it - my power supply must be able to handle anything I throw at it.

I own a Dell XPS 12 9250 since 2015, it uses PD. My other laptop is an ASUS ZenBook 3 Deluxe, it uses PD. My headphone, Bang & Olufsen H8i, uses PD. My toothbrush, Sonic Diamond Clean, use a Qi charger through PD, needless to say, my smartphone and my mobile power bank …

Besides, all of my USB-C cables are 100W rated. Actually, all Thunderbolt 3 capable, so I don’t have to think which cable to use, just plug it in.

2 Likes

This one, 350W, capable to power 30 Rock Pi 4 simultaneously:

and it doesn’t have who-knows-what-it-is connector, so I wouldn’t mind to keep one at home if I need to power a cluster.

1 Like