One step forward

I would like to apply for a sample. Although not a software developer, I could contribute by other means like testing and reviewing, while waiting for the final product.

2 Likes

All that is very promising !

I have some questions, you don’t talk about the Gigabit Ethernet connexion, is this ok under linux and under windows ? it’s not in the list of the things that are ok under windows.
About how to test the GPIO under windows, it’s a good question, is this possible ? maybe the serial connexion with UART tx and rx. I remember Microsoft has developped Windows on things for Raspberry pi and it’s possible to use GPIO with it, but certainly because Microsoft has developped some tools to do it, because the Raspberry pi was popular, so finaly it’s not certain that we can do it easily.

I use windows 10 on a raspberry pi 3 with Windows on Arm with 1 Go only, we can already do interesting things even if there are of course some limitations, so with a X86 processor and 4Go, it can only be better, and offer more possibilities.

Will it be possible to boot on uSD, or is this impossible ? To my mind it’s not a true probleme if eMMC is ok, but It could be interesting just to have different OS via different uSD cards, because if we make a eMMC for Windows, we couldn’t change as easily for Linux.

1 Like

Hi all.

Very interesting too with a sample.
You say in the main page description that rock pi x support dual screen.
That is always supported ? I only seen one HDMI port and have you tested dual display?

Thanks for sll

A previous revision also had a DP port, but @jack mentioned it was removed as cherrytrail is not capable of handling dual display. However ark.intel.com reports 2 displays supported. Could someone explain this further?

Will it have PXE support? Is there gonna be an official case?

Also, what’s the MSRP (hackerboards says $69)?

Intel Cherrytrail is indeed capable of dual display, but not DP. It supports eDP instead, from our testing, routing eDP to DP port doesn’t work somehow and besides the gpu is not really that powerful to handle two 1080p. So we just dropped the DP port.

1 Like

Sounds great! I would love to have a sample board to test and review! I’ve made OSs for other boards such as the Raspberry Pi (3) and Atomic Pi and this board looks like another great board to test and of course recommend if it is working well :slight_smile: How about ethernet though? Is it 100 Mbps, gigabit, 2.5 gig? Which ethernet chipset is used for it? Does it come with the EMMc or is that a module which must be added?

1 Like

@jack I’m not a software developer, but building a NAS with Rock Pi 4, I have enough experience and additional hardware to showcase the Rock Pi X for NAS usage, and make a meaningful comparison with Rock Pi 4B in NAS role. Thus, I would like to apply for a sample, if this scenario interests Radxa.

Hi team. I didnt about Rock Pi until today when i heard the news about RockPi 4. Its very interesting that you are building something on X86 with small form factor. I have been using Raspberry pi for my sons projects. Would be excited if there is an option for hardware sample as well. If this has an 8Gb version or option to expand it would be great.

1 Like

Would I be able to run the x86 image of OPNsense (based on FreeBSD) on this?

I think the answer is yes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dual Intel 1Gbit/s RJ45 would make this a killer board for pfsense and home network. Would this be possible?

Jack let me know if samples are still available.

No dual RJ45 for ROCK Pi X.

> *Damned my project of Arma3 server or DayZ server under this board is not possible :sleepy:*
> *But still good hardware :slight_smile:*

Well after checking hardware, this sbc seem compliant for custom game server for Arma3. Can be good alternative of VPS or dedicated VM of many webhosters.

@jack in case of you have a spare unit not planned to more critical project, i will glady ask for free sample for testing, installing, modding a gamer server onto.

Any reason it will not work with Ubuntu 18.04? I’m building a robot using ROS Melodic and it needs 18.04 and the SDK I’m using requires an x86. I recently purchased a Atomic Pi but would rather switch to this (I wasn’t sure this would ever come out, to be honest…). If it’ll run 18.04, I would love a sample if available to a hobbyist. You can see my build log here:

You know, I have been developing for Feather, Raspberry Pi, and numerous other small boards. I have done quite a bit of work with windows and servers, and programming C++ macros and applications. I’m currently in a process of remaking a few smart home appliances, and beginning to trim down my power profile usage. I’ve been playing with the Atomic Pi, but would much rather work with something newer and more powerful that can handle some of the tasks that i would toss on it. As an example, I made a connected water well pump for the house. it not only is connected to the house system, and able to be controlled by it, it makes its own decisions based on inputs but in near real time, as im messing with water pressure, 240VAC, 10+ amps, and multiple kill checks, along with intelligently keeping the pump cool, avoid running dry and measuring volume to list a few. needless to say i would love to test this device out and start wringing some good stuff for it!

1 Like

I’m hoping a USB NIC such as these should work https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Gigabit-Ethernet-Network-Adapter/dp/B0095EFXMC
https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Ethernet-Gigabit-Network-Compatible/dp/B00AQM8586

I’ve seen comments elsewhere that the performance with a USB NIC is fine as long as you only use the adapter for the wan facing connection, and leave the built in one for lan.

Edit: Warning, neither of the adapters I linked to use a chipset with driver support for pfsense or opnsense

@vandelay there is absolutely no reason those USB NICs wouldn’t work on Rock Pi X. I’d recommend RTL8153 over ASIX, and these usb3.0 to dual GBe adapters might interest you.

Hi Jack,

I’m a software developer for an open-source computer vision application for high-school robotics competitions. I’ve been testing this on many different SBCs but have yet to test on an x86 SBC as I’ve not seen any in a good form factor. I would be happy to test my program on this board under both Windows and Linux OSes. I’d also be using the GPIO via my program, and using USB web cameras.

I’m excited to see what comes next from Radxa,
Banks T

1 Like

@DIYprojectz thanks for the heads-up! Neither of the ones I linked to would have supported my intended use