[Rock Pi X] More details and photos, please (:

Any updates on those updated images of the board? I believe last time they were mentioned was a couple months ago. I don’t mind waiting longer for the board but it would be nice to see the update layout of it so I can plan ahead for a future project. I’m hoping the CPU will be moved to the top like the RPi and the overall layout of the ports will be identical to other boards like the Rock Pi 4 and RPi so it’ll be compatible with existing Raspberry Pi enclosures.

The redesign specifically moved it to the underside to address cooling concerns (this is the same reason the RK3399 is on the underside). There’s plenty of cases for the Rock Pi 4, and if the X has a similar layout and heatsink, you can use this one (which I highly recommend): https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3499190

Here is the new ROCK Pi X image.

7 Likes

Much excitement!

What is the port between the HDMI and USB-C?

It’s a mini DP port. But it turns out cherrytrail is not capable of handling dual display, so we will probably just cancel it.

Ah, I see the dual NICs didn’t make it :frowning:

Any update on the progress, availability? Besides if you are removing mini dp, maybe there would be a way to squeeze SATA port in there?

Personally I’d be more interested in seeing a PCI-E like the RockPi 4. It would give you more options, plus a faster connection.

RockPi 4 has M.2 PCI-E and its probably M key type. It’s not full sized PCI-E slot.

So…I`m saving some money to buy this x86 board:). Could the radxa team release some tests, photos of the board…or the release date :D?

We’re like 3 months ago we saw a photo of the redesign and like half a year since it was supossed to be realeased.

Please, share some details about the Rock Pi X progress. It’s frustrating to be waiting for that long with no info.

The x86 development is very different from the arm world and we are actually not a big team but with a lot of various projects going on that’s why it’s delayed. The good news is, the ROCK Pi X is very close to MP now. 100pcs is under progress and I think we can send the beta hardware to developers soon.

2 Likes

Rock Pi X is just like a dream for us as linux enthusiast, that’s why is hard to be patient, but is better to wait in order to have a superb product. Personally
I’m using an Asus tinker board as a main desktop for doing my work (I am a linux sysadmin), i will change immediately to Rock Pi X once available. Congratulations for your efforts and go ahead! :grinning:

I’m realy impatient about the Rock Pi X, i realy want to test it. I’m realy curious about one particular thing, it’s about the GPIO. I hope it will be possible to use some RS232 with the X86 UART. I have some bad results with some Arm mini UART which can’t offer the exact same level of expertise.

I think that maybe a X86 architecture can be interesting for many other reasons, First, I have so many softwares that I’ve developped to test on it, for linux and for windows

Something similar might be closer than you think. Check NPS-1.

I recently purchased an atomic pi to use as I wait for the Rock Pi X. It’s the same processor and overall very similar. For my application (robot) I’m hoping the Rock Pi X will be a fairly simple drop-in replacement as the atomic pi isn’t a production unit.

Thanks for the reply, Jack. Looking forward to test my videogame there when possible, and also the performance of some emulators too (Lakka/Retroarch).

This ROScube Pico NPS-1 looks interesting, stki12. Thanks for sharing.

Let’s hope they announce soon if its price is similar to Raspberry Pi and Rock Pi X, and which specific Intel Atom uses to guess if it’s going to be more or less powerful than the other boards…

1 Like

One step forward…

1 Like