[Rock Pi X] More details and photos, please (:

Given the current situation in China, I think it would be prudent to be a bit more patient on updates. Nobody needs the extra stress.

2 Likes

Apart from any further more pretentions like asked it would be great to get an update when you can!

We literally have a project on hold becuase of this boards because as far as I can see there are no other x86 boards of the same size out there.

Really can not wait

The UP board exists, Atom X5-Z8530 in a RasPi form factor.

Can you provide a link please?

Any updates on those updated images of the board? I believe last time they were mentioned was a couple months ago. I donā€™t mind waiting longer for the board but it would be nice to see the update layout of it so I can plan ahead for a future project. Iā€™m hoping the CPU will be moved to the top like the RPi and the overall layout of the ports will be identical to other boards like the Rock Pi 4 and RPi so itā€™ll be compatible with existing Raspberry Pi enclosures.

The redesign specifically moved it to the underside to address cooling concerns (this is the same reason the RK3399 is on the underside). Thereā€™s plenty of cases for the Rock Pi 4, and if the X has a similar layout and heatsink, you can use this one (which I highly recommend): https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3499190

Here is the new ROCK Pi X image.

7 Likes

Much excitement!

What is the port between the HDMI and USB-C?

Itā€™s a mini DP port. But it turns out cherrytrail is not capable of handling dual display, so we will probably just cancel it.

Ah, I see the dual NICs didnā€™t make it :frowning:

Any update on the progress, availability? Besides if you are removing mini dp, maybe there would be a way to squeeze SATA port in there?

Personally Iā€™d be more interested in seeing a PCI-E like the RockPi 4. It would give you more options, plus a faster connection.

RockPi 4 has M.2 PCI-E and its probably M key type. Itā€™s not full sized PCI-E slot.

Soā€¦I`m saving some money to buy this x86 board:). Could the radxa team release some tests, photos of the boardā€¦or the release date :D?

Weā€™re like 3 months ago we saw a photo of the redesign and like half a year since it was supossed to be realeased.

Please, share some details about the Rock Pi X progress. Itā€™s frustrating to be waiting for that long with no info.

The x86 development is very different from the arm world and we are actually not a big team but with a lot of various projects going on thatā€™s why itā€™s delayed. The good news is, the ROCK Pi X is very close to MP now. 100pcs is under progress and I think we can send the beta hardware to developers soon.

2 Likes

Rock Pi X is just like a dream for us as linux enthusiast, thatā€™s why is hard to be patient, but is better to wait in order to have a superb product. Personally
Iā€™m using an Asus tinker board as a main desktop for doing my work (I am a linux sysadmin), i will change immediately to Rock Pi X once available. Congratulations for your efforts and go ahead! :grinning:

Iā€™m realy impatient about the Rock Pi X, i realy want to test it. Iā€™m realy curious about one particular thing, itā€™s about the GPIO. I hope it will be possible to use some RS232 with the X86 UART. I have some bad results with some Arm mini UART which canā€™t offer the exact same level of expertise.

I think that maybe a X86 architecture can be interesting for many other reasons, First, I have so many softwares that Iā€™ve developped to test on it, for linux and for windows