M.2 ssd is not recognized

Hey,

I do have exactly the same problem but actually using a ‘tested by team’ HP EX900 M.2 with 120GB. demsg output is exactly the same than in Druid’s case. Tested with Ubuntu, Armbian, Debian both directly connected to the RockPi and with the extension board. Manjaro seems to give a slightly different output only looking for a 12V supply including a driver error exiting also with -110.
Shall I also try with another SSD? What do you recommend for a smaller SPI bootable SSD?

I also found the German FAQ where it is stated that the HP EX900 is exactly the one that doesn’t work. Compare here (German) vs. here (en)

Thanks folks!

I am waiting for Acer AT500M which is marked as good in English FAQ and see how it goes. If it also doesn’t work I will ask for a replacement. I think it is fair. @krang where did you buy your board? I ordered mine from Germany.

Board + extra stuff is from innet. They replied quickly when I had a question about the Germany only weird U.LF adapter /w and w/o… And good prize, though.
SSD and case from Conrad, the only ones with a smaller kind of tested SSD. I really don’t need 250GB for network controller, maybe pfsense, pihole and openvpn. :smiley:

It looks to be similar problem reported here:

@krang and @Druid did you try the Radxa Debian image? The u-boot in that image is reported to work.

Hey aaditya,

I don’t think, it is the same problem here. In my case it is absolutely not recognized. There is no /dev/nvme* entry, lspcie is empty, lsblk lists the sd as mmc* with the different partitions only.
And yes, I used the official Radxa images, both Ubuntu and Debian. Kernel Versions are 4.4, I think, for Armbian, I used 4.4 and 5.4 and for Manjaro 5.4 and 5.6. The latter says the also updated u-boot…

1 Like

Ok. For some users /dev/nvme* entries dont appear, as witnessed here:

This looks more familiar. Problem with the board? :confused:

Cant say if its a problem with the board or with u-boot unable to set up the SSD while booting.
If I find anything relevant will post here.

I got this error with one of my nvme drives (Silicon Power 512GB p34a80) on the current Armbian buster with kernel 5.4. However it worked fine on the latest Manjaro.

Hey @Druid
Where did you buy your Acer and it is working? I’m going to return the HP and try another one before thinking of returning the board (and probably go for something entirely different)…

Which one is more likely to work and boot SPI/SSD only?

• Intel 760p Series SSD 128GB TLC PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 - M.2 2280
  • Gigabyte NVMe SSD 128 GB NVMe 1.3 M.2 2280

Maybe some comments before I order?

@krang

The acer one is known working under u-boot:

https://shop.allnetchina.cn/products/acer-m-2-nvme-ssd-for-rock-pi-4?_pos=2&_sid=21fab7f62&_ss=r

@krang If you are from EU I bought it here.

Thanks, the two of you!
And @Druid, can you please let me know if it works? So excited. :slight_smile:

@krang Some delays with delivery. I only get it next week. I’ll let you know if Acer SSD works.

I have an intermitent issue with -110 on mainline 5.6.7, very strange. I have the HP EX900 above.

If I use the Rock Pi 4 Ubuntu 18.04 image then it works fine everytime.

1 Like

Funny, I didn’t get it to work with the same SSD and Ubuntu 18, amongst others.
Waiting for my Gigabyte SSD now, will order Acer if this fails as well…

Acer SSD is recognized. I was able to write image and boot from SSD only when SD is present. So it boots in a strange way.
Can anyone advise how to fix it (if it is possible).
In the logs I see

Scanning nvme 0:4…
Found /extlinux/extlinux.conf

But later I get

** Unable to read file /dtbs/4.4.154-59-rockchip-g5e70f14/rockchip/rk3399-rock-pi-4b.dtb **

Then it goes to sdcard and loads this

reading /dtbs/4.4.154-108-rockchip-ge9277b7e857a/rockchip/rk3399-rock-pi-4b.dtb

So it boots and when I check /boot directory I see that it is from SSD drive. And I don’t see rk3399-rock-pi-4b.dtb there I can only find rock-pi-4b.dtb.

There was another name for the file with this kernel (rockpi-4b-linux.dtb) . The programmers in the latest version of Uboot set a different file name rk3399-rock-pi-4b.dtb and therefore new versions of Uboot do not work with old kernels from radxa. Therefore, you must either apply the old uboot, or copy boot 4.4.154-108 from microsd instead of 4.4.154-59 … or copy all rockpi-4b-linux.dtb to rk3399-rock-pi-4b.dtb.

1 Like

can confirm it works with the Gigabyte SSD as well, at least the OS recognizing it with correct size.
I’m currently on the write SPI step and will decide to try Armbian or Debian on the SSD. Let’s see