M.2 ssd is not recognized

When I connect my Integral 120 GB ssd both directly or via M.2 extension I get the following in dmesg:
rockchip-pcie: probe of f8000000.pcie failed with error -110.

Does it mean faulty board or faulty drive? Currently I don’t have a way to connect SSD drive to any other device to see if it is faulty.

I got M.2 reader. So SSD is fine and not broken. I saw (but lost a link) a post where someone recommended to check voltage with V-meter. Can someone guide me where to check it?

I measured voltage as advised in this post by @jack.
Both pads give 3.33v. So voltage is not a problem I guess. What else can I do to understand root cause of a problem?

Which model is the SSD? Recently we got report from other user that some KingSpec SSD can not be detected even in kernel. But from your log:

rockchip-pcie: probe of f8000000.pcie failed with error -110.

This might be just a connection issue instead of a link/training issue. I suggest you direct plug the SSD to the ROCK Pi 4 M2 slot and test.

1 Like

Sorry, what do you mean by mode? Also I see in FAQ that

- Known working under Linux kernel but not directly in bootloader(uSD/eMMC + NVMe booting) -
Integral 120GB M.2 2280 PCIE NVME INSSD120GM280N

Does this quote say it is not possible to boot from this SSD?

This one

• Integral 120GB M.2 2280 PCIE NVME INSSD120GM280N

is added by users, not tested by us. Usually we only recommend certain brand because some brands sometimes change the controller without changing the model nor notice.

As i said, from your log, it’s more like a connection issue. Did you try direct connect the SSD to ROCK Pi 4? Also, we don’t support hot plug.

I connected SSD directly and I get the same -110 error. Would any additional logs help? It would be helpful for me to understand if connection is faulty or SSD is not supported so I can buy an alternative one.

Yes, please paste the log here.

dmesg | grep pcie