Armbian images are now available for Rock 5b!

Is in-browser hardware accelerated video decoding supported at this stage? While it says enabled in Chromium under about:gpu, in reality YouTube seems running off CPU. Developer Tools - Media confirms hardware decoding is disabled. Also, YouTube fails at playing x264/265 even with all the libs installed

This feature does not work under Linux and this will not be changed as I assume nobody is supporting development of any kind?

By downloading and examining the content of the package? By digging into project GitHub commits? Nothing is hidden.

The only way to get this working is to get the patched chromium from rockchip. The official Debian image from radxa included that version and can be used to play youtube videos.

The HDMI clock is limited by default to only allow 1080p. There’s a dts on the linked post that makes it so that 2160p is available on both HDMI ports, and there are also dtb overlays included to make one of the HDMI ports (your choice) capable of 4320p. One of them should enable the widescreen resolution you’re after.

Thanks I will try this later. Does this patched version of Chromium have any specific dependencies? I am using mesa-panfork mali driver, or should I switch back to libmali from Radxa? There’s a bunch of customized packages under https://github.com/radxa/debos-radxa/tree/main/rootfs/packages/arm64. I am using Armbian with GL (ES) working yet no HW YouTube and no Vulkan

I “think” you should be fine if the v4l2 and mpp library is working for you(you can do hardware decode using other software like mpv). The patched chromium is using an v4l2 mpp plugin to do the hardware decoding, for that to work you probably need libv4l installed and there should be a bunch of related debs over there, just search for ‘v4l’ in radxa repo and you will find a few. Please note that hardware decoding of AV1 and HEVC will not be supported by (this version of) chromium and a lot of youtube videos are using av1 already.

To sum up what you will need to perform hardware decoding using chromium from scratch:

• Rockchip’s mpp library for the userspace api to access rockchip’s media processing blocks. Look for packages contains librockchip-mpp, librockchip-vpu and rockchip-mpp.

• Rockchip’s libv4l as a v4l2 plugin so that chromium can use it to access the mpp library. Look for packages contains libv4l and v4l2. You probably need v4l-utils as well.

• The patched chromium itself. You could find an x11 version in radxa repo.

If you’re running Armbian Jammy, you can also simply use the PPA with all the multimedia packages and the patched Chromium (you need to specify its version explicitly though, as it’s a tad older than the current).

HI ,
Any idea how to get the gstreamer mppvideodec , mpph265enc plugins ? are the available or needs to be built from source?
Thanks

This is what I did

OK I will have to play with that tonight. I think YouTube’s software/CPU rendered even with Radxa patched version. I am not sure how to ‘force’ Chromium to using v4l2 mpp for YouTube? I think it defaults to AV1 indeed. Thanks

Anybody managed getting Steam up and running? I got box64, box86 and wine64 (over box64) working by following https://github.com/NicoD-SBC/armbian-gaming. Yet I got nowhere with Steam

With latest image - installation to NVME drive (boot from SPI) just works OOB via standard armbian-install utility

Filesystem     1K-blocks    Used Available Use% Mounted on
tmpfs            1609740    9808   1599932   1% /run
/dev/nvme0n1p1 122485704 2040448 114177184   2% /
tmpfs            8048688       0   8048688   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs               5120       4      5116   1% /run/lock
tmpfs            8048688       0   8048688   0% /tmp
/dev/zram1         47960    2548     41828   6% /var/log
tmpfs            1609736       0   1609736   0% /run/user/0
2 Likes

still can’t boot from nvme (with bootloader on spi) on armbian bullseye CLI 09.12 version.
The UART logs is here https://pastebin.com/h3pSXyyC

I used this image
https://redirect.armbian.com/rock-5b/Jammy_legacy attached formatted nvme drive, boot from SD card, execute armbian-install, choose nvme install / spi boot … waited, power off, remove SD card, it worked. What is wrong with your device, no idea.

Thank you dear.

I have tried the dts file in the thread you linked and it does not work I’m afraid.
Following the steps exactly as described:
compiling dts to dtbo using dtc -O dtb -o rk3588-add-hdptxphy_hdmi_clk.dtbo rk3588-add-hdptxphy_hdmi_clk.dts
Copy dtbo file to /boot/overlay-user/
Adding line: user_overlays=rk3588-add-hdptxphy_hdmi_clk.dtbo in armbianEnv.txt

Still cannot select higher than 1080p in gnome.

Also tried the rock-5b-hdmi1-8k.dtbo overlay.

I placed the overlay as /boot/overlay-user/hdmi.dtbo.

Then added:

user_overlays=hdmi

to /boot/armbianEnv.txt.

I had tried it as /boot/overlay-user/rk3588-add-hdptxphy_hdmi_clk.dtbo but Armbian didn’t want to deal with it; not sure why. I didn’t see any reason to be concerned, changing it to /boot/overlay-user/hdmi.dtbo did the job just as well.

For the 8k item:

overlays=hdmi1-8k

is what arbmianEnv.txt is after.

Erazed my nvme drive (that was used in a windows machine in the past), created partitions and executed armbian-install and voila, it boots without an SD-card!

1 Like

Hi,

I tried installing the following Armbian image I got from the official Armbian site:
Armbian 22.11 Jammy Gnome

I wrote it to an SDcard and it booted without problems.
I powered down and then booted with a 1TB nvme connected, and took the following steps:

• created the partitions on it as explained on the Armbian wiki.
  • did an Armbian-install chose the option to install to nvme and to boot from nvme (without sdcard).
  • i did the install to SPI as well.

I powered down, removed the SD card and it booted straight into Armbian. Great!
However I then did an apt update & upgrade. I saw that some packages were held back, didn’t think much of it and tried to reboot the system. Booting now failed:
the led blinks to green, immediately followed by the blue led and then turns of after some time (this sequence repeats itself).

I then rebooted again into Armbian using the SDcard, but I also did an apt update&upgrade, plus I installed all the packages that were kept back. I redid the install to nvme using armbian-install, but after removing the SDcard the boot still fails.

Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

Best regards,
Jan

P.S.: the nvme drive used to contain a rock5 debian install, but I removed all partitions using gnome-disks before re-partitioning the drive explained in the Armbian wiki

Hi there,

Today I received my NVME ssd and I tried to install armbian according to this guide. My rock 5 wont boot at all. Installing it to sd card also results no boot at all. Same with debian. Can somebody please help me? The only thing that works at the moment is ubuntu server.