Armbian images are now available for Rock 5b!

Ha, ha just it seems that the TwisterOS (Armbian) does not even boot I assume older Kernel / Overlays etc
Will just keep using https://wiki.radxa.com/Rock5/linux/debian for now and alter the wall paper etc
I guess if the devices is faulty eventual it will crash with that?

maybe the devices is faulty look at the bad blocks around the windows!

2 Likes

我同样遇到了类似的问题,当我运行debian系统的时候

1 Like

This is not the device broken, it is the mali driver that is broken. Everyone using this debian image experienced this.

2 Likes

Although that specific problem is not a hardware issue, you might still have broken hardware.

Go to https://webglsamples.org/persistence/persistence.html in Chromium while using the Radxa Debian and leave it running for a bit while opening some other applications. Do you get a system hang/reboot?

1 Like

Limiting RAM frequency improves stability for me and stops the random hangs/reboots:

$ echo 1560000000 | sudo tee /sys/class/devfreq/dmc/max_freq

Ran the web gl sample multiple times over 12 hours along with bench marking and other things no lock ups / no reboots - so looks like it has an issue with the armbian build - awaiting some more eMMC so that I can swap and change without having to reburn images

A1 rated SD cards are better suited for this since exchanging SD cards doesn’t wear out the slot.

Have you checked for how many mating cycles the eMMC connectors are rated? Me neither but I know people with eMMC-less ODROIDs and Pine boards for exactly this reason…

It seems that it could not boot from nvme SSD without modification.

I use dd command to flash to image to nvme SSD, and it seems that it could not boot at all.

But It can boot and run when I flash this image to sdcard.

boot from nvme require flash uboot to spi flash

Actually, it appears to be from the hacks Rockchip added in https://github.com/JeffyCN/xorg-xserver, because Panfrost shows similar glitches when run against xserver-xorg-core from the Radxa apt repository, but not the upstream Debian version.

It probably wouldn’t be too hard to bisect the Rockchip xserver to find what change introduced the problem, but I can’t be bothered doing that myself.

1 Like

Same here.
NVMe boot with RADXA debian image without issue. But armbian images failed as below:
indent preformatted text by 4 spaces
Device 0: Vendor: 0x144d Rev: 4B2QEXM7 Prod: S6P1NS0T805701H
Type: Hard Disk
Capacity: 1907729.0 MB = 1863.0 GB (3907029168 x 512)
… is now current device
Scanning nvme 0:1…
Found U-Boot script /boot/boot.scr
3242 bytes read in 1 ms (3.1 MiB/s)

Executing script at 00500000

Unknown command '����������������������������o��������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������o���w��������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������}���������������g������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������w�����������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������w������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������?������������������������������������������������������������������������~���������_�������������������������������������������_��������������������������������������������������Unknown command ‘��������?������������������������������?��������������������������������߿����������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������~�����������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������w�o�������������������������������������������������������������o�����������������������������������������������������������z����������������������߿��������������������?���������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������’ - try ‘help’
SCRIPT FAILED:
indent preformatted text by 4 spaces

Awesome, looking forward to try it when my board arrives! Until there is an Arch Linux variant for the Rock 5, this sounds like the best OS for my needs. My experience with Armbian on a router SBC has been very good so far.
BTW, does this support full disk encryption?

Probably, untested. Remember this image is made with legacy kernel where some general things might not work very well.

1 Like

MonkaBlyat from discord made this happen on panfrost…
but went rogue… hopefully he will send us his image as always ready for the fun :smiley:

2 Likes

Modern kernel boots, but its unfortunately not usable for anything yet. #teaser

12 Likes

Still not possible to boot armbian from nvme?

Someone tested armbian with gnome, kde plasma etc and how it performes?

I tested gnome with radxa debian image and was not so impressed by graphical performance.

4K resolution not working?
after configuration (login, password, etc.), a black screen occurs. connected to a 4k60hz tv.

This HW needs a lot of fixing before such minor issues become relevant.

1 Like

Fixing HW?

I see Radxa have added Armbian to their wiki for nvme boot so I guess it works.