12v transformer with 5.5mm barrel to USB C 3.1 adapter

I am not completely up to spec with USB PD.

WIll the RockPi adapt to voltage levels or is it the charger that adapts to output signals.
As just wondering if I can get a 12V transformer with a Type C adapter so I can have 12v & 5v available?

You can open wiki and read about it. Not that hard.

Also, you can use forum’s search to find out that there is two pins on GPIO that can be used to power up board and some extra stuff LIKE ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION.
Not that hard to type 12v to search box
https://forum.radxa.com/search?context=topic&context_id=1108&q=12v&skip_context=true

Basically USB PD or QC is protocol to talk to the power adapter, what voltage to output. ROCK Pi 4 accept wide range voltage. from the type C port, 6V to 28V.

• If the power adapter support QC/PD but the device doesn’t it will output default 5V.
  • If the usb c power adapter is dummy/fixed voltage, as long as it’s in range of 6~28V, you can power ROCK Pi 4.
  • If power from the GPIO, only 5V is accepted, this is to keep compatible with the HATs on the market.
1 Like

When you search for 12v as you suggest the only 2 results are my question and your completely pointless reply.
Also where in the wiki maybe you would like to actual be of some worth and post a link, there is always a first time?

There doesn’t seem to be any details that you could qualify as a yes no problem for permanent supply.
There also doesn’t seem to be a rating for the max current draw off the 5v GPIO.

I am well aware that USB C PD is multi-step but before I do it I wanted to ask someone from Radxa that continuous 12V is no problem as long it has the ampage.
That is really great as my previous question of if the board has a 12v supply that can be accessed was answered no, but yes to a 12v fixed voltage solves that.
I can get a 10A 12V transformer for about the price of a 45W USB-C one and tryout the eGPU project with a GTX1050/ti.

@jack I am after taking 5v from the GPIO and with a fixed 12v also I have 12V covered so if I was to go crazy with 3.5" Sata hardrives or eGPU I could quite easily off a single power source without things turning into cable spaghetti.
There is also the option of relatively cheap 2nd user ATX PSUs also, so all good and far better than Raspberry options.

Which does answer your question if you read them carefully. Like

or

Well, not wiki, but should do: http://bfy.tw/Nom6

You may read this if you can LiPo battery connector
or this
Power supply for the rockpi
if you can read ofc :slight_smile:

It has already been answered, you don’t answer to a question and then answer to a solution :confused:

@Jack anyone know the max power draw on the 5v GPIO?
Prob going to use an old ATX PSU so not that essential.

Well, your question was about how does QC and PD works, so i guessed you did your homework, before asking here. Also, by using answers from post i linked you may xo logic assumption, that RockPi can adapt to dumb voltages, even without proper protocol interaction.

As for 5V power draw, if i understood you correctly and if you remember physic (theme “Electronics”) you may go to “Benchmark and tests”, there a few posts about Watts drawing. Just in case you forgot about physics: W=V*A.

Hey, folks. Let’s all chill out a bit, okay? Here’s a link that provides a full explanation of USB-C, QC, & PD.

Yes, several weeks ago, I posted the question about being able to use an unregulated 12 VDC power source. But, I found @jack’s reply confusing. On one hand he said that an unregulated source could be used. Then, he said that QC was required to negotiate voltages between a QC power source and the Rock Pi’s USB-C connector.
So, I read the above site.

My understanding is that there is no way to attach 12 VDC to the Rock Pi, but through the USB-C connector. @jack just confirmed this 12 hours ago. But, I’d like to know how to connect a 12 VDC battery (w/o a USB-C connector) to the Rock Pi. Is anyone here suggesting that I cut open the power cable, fish out the correct 2 tiny wires, and attempt to splice on an adapter?
Furthermore, I have an aluminum case and would like to install a barrel connector and power switch, wired internally. Is there anywhere to connect the +12 VDC directly to the board, from inside the case?

I just purchased

2 of those as going to do the same with a Sata splitter cable and run off an ATX PSU so I can attach 2x 3.5" HD.

You can get USB-C with terminal or a solder jack and an adaptor, but the usb-c is the only path through the onboard regulator as I am taking @jack reply.

1 Like

Cool. :star_struck:Thanks for the link. That also allows for a local in-line power switch, Raspberry Pi style. Very helpful. :+1:

It isn’t like having what I had planned, with everything being neatly contained inside the case, but a good second best.

Prob some on ebay and singles maybe local but you get the style there are also terminal versions but for me a bit bulky.
Doing what you said and splicing a cable is just as valid and guess you can get push-in case mounts if needed.
I am really liking the USB-C PD power input as its much more flexible than the Pi 5v only.

I was only referring to the Pi’s in-line power switch. I agree that 5V is insufficient and increases the amperage to borderline levels.
The USB-C connector is only surface mounted and easily worn out from repetitive connects/disconnects (already have). That’s why I prefer having a local power switch instead of using a surge protector switch on the floor (knees are too old) or a mess of cables on the desk. Besides, using a surge protector switch means power cycling everything in unison or having a dedicated surge protector, just for the Rock Pi. Yes, there are power blocks w/individual switches on each socket, but that only brings me back to a mess on the desk.
Yes, splicing the cable is doable, but not a path I want to go down. Your breakout adapters are the only feasible solution, IMHO. A short USB-C cable to your breakout adapter, connected to a power switch, connected to a barrel jack, all safe in a small enclosure. Voi la!

Yeah a header just behind the USB-C would be so cool but hey.
I haven’t got my board yet and check first but the power pins are the bigger legs on either side of the pin out.
Dunno if its possible to bodge some soldered fly leads there.

1 Like

Yeah, I checked out that as a possible option. All of the surface mount pins on the back of the USB-C are so tiny, that I just can’t see it. “A man’s gotta know his own limitations.” -Dirty Harry
I appreciate your attempts to accommodate my needs, though.:wink:

BWT, welcome to the Radxa Forum. Looks like you will be an asset to the discussions.

1 Like