[ROM] ROCK 5B Android 12.1 rkr10 GoogleTV

for radxa android build (leanback), it still long way to go. at the moment i cant set up my google account, hot-swap external drive support still broken and i cant install android tv version of youtube. maybe this google tv build will fix most of the problem that we had with radxa android build.

Did v3 boot ?

it went to recovery on a h96

Hi, v3 won’t boot for rock 5b from microSD
V2 works

Leave emmc on rock5 and connect the rock5 to PC then use program to send image to emmc that’s installed on rock5. It worked for me. No issues booting.

Thnx

do you have a log where it halts or loops ?

missing file probably. (was stuck at rockhip kernel logo screen)

[ 102.415411][ T1] init: starting service ‘surfaceflinger’…
[ 102.415785][ T1] init: Could not create socket ‘pdx/system/vr/display/client’: Failed to bind socket ‘pdx/system/vr/display/client’: No such file or directory
[ 102.416009][ T1] init: Could not create socket ‘pdx/system/vr/display/manager’: Failed to bind socket ‘pdx/system/vr/display/manager’: No such file or directory
[ 102.416231][ T1] init: Could not create socket ‘pdx/system/vr/display/vsync’: Failed to bind socket ‘pdx/system/vr/display/vsync’: No such file or directory
[ 102.420993][ T2836] libprocessgroup: Failed to open /dev/stune/foreground/tasks: No such file or directory
[ 102.421035][ T2836] libprocessgroup: Failed to apply HighPerformance task profile: No such file or directory
[ 102.439744][ T1] init: Control message: Could not find ‘aidl/SurfaceFlinger’ for ctl.interface_start from pid: 302 (/system/bin/servicemanager)
[ 102.495200][ T1] init: Control message: Could not find ‘aidl/package_native’ for ctl.interface_start from pid: 302 (/system/bin/servicemanager)

[ 102.506982][ T2840] mali fb000000.gpu: Firmware header version 0.1 not understood
[ 102.507032][ T2840] mali fb000000.gpu: Firmware initialization failed

androidtv-console.zip (40.5 KB)

thnx

surfaceflinger crashed due no egl
and mali couldnt load firmware

but lan worked
recompiling it with just the working kernel

I’m trying out V2 and so far it’s working well but sometimes Google Play seems to reset and then, like for others, the connection to the remote is reset.

The Rockchip “5.10” kernel isn’t really 5.10, in reality it’s a whole other fork of Linux. Maybe that’s why.

Radxa WiFi module works, Bluetooth seems to work too but I’ll need to check. And I like that it’s rooted, good job!

v4
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XYV1X7L-Yd_BjVeGCpE8wpMFFMf3otI-/view?usp=share_link

it is far from perfect :slight_smile: v3 didnt boot

3 Likes

Any chance you can include a changelog?

ethernet working. bluetooth working. wifi working. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

OK so this ROM (v2) is much better than the official one, I can set the sound output to HDMI Bitstream and get sound. Bluetooth works.

It’s a poor benchmark but when I run webgl aquarium with 5000 fish, on Radxa android I was getting 22 fps and with this one it is 45. So they must have messed something up.

One potential problem is that the OpenGL ES support seems to be lacking - on Radxa android I could run the compute test with OpenCL and Vulkan, now the only option is Vulkan (same score as with Radxa android, 4200).

A changelog would be useful, then people would decide if it’s worth upgrading.
Is there a way to keep my userdata between android updates?

To be honest I can’t make Skyline work. Some app is missing and can’t give file access permissions. I think google files might be missing.
Also on v4 Hey google, configure my device does not show code on screen.
Anyway I would like to run it from nvme. Is it possible?

Edit: corrected spellings - writing on phone sucks.

i have the same issue with dolphin emulator ,google file explorer is needed

Is there a non-box version?

I am unable to boot from SD card with official android 12 rk12.

a Changelog now you ask a lot :slight_smile:
no log needed if it goes from no boot to booting :wink:

and most people dont now what the changes do but i try to notice some if there is a update

and you score is maybey due 1080 gui vs 4k gui ?

i look for the opengl if i can find something i messed up

1 Like

sure there are google files missing but i put a lot of them in already , i wll look into it do you know perhaps what it is missing ?

and the permission drama in android is not that easy for me , i am even surprised that google voice is working in box .

and nvme i dont know did you try ? , i have it running on my rk3566 with sata , just flash it on a nvme or sata and on a sd or emmc and remove on sata/nvme everything except super and user (last partition) , and on the sd/emmc remove the super and user partition . but boot from straight from uboot wont work i think .

Can’t give you exact app name as I got very generic system notification.

Hello! I never used a 4k GUI as I don’t have a monitor with such a resolution, my HDMI cables won’t support it either.

Anyway great work with the build (v2). I will see whether AetherSX2 and Redream work OK.

As for the permissions, when I tried to copy something using MiXplorer from a network drive to the Kodi directory it complained about permissions. Copying using Kodi itself worked. To me it seems to be the SELinux within android which is preventing this stuff (a feature not a bug).

EDIT: OK it is a bug. Android TV and Google TV since version 12 don’t seem to have a native file manager and therefore some apps cannot access files. This seems to be a serious problem with android and not with this distribution.

this build is really great, much better than radxa android build in my opinion.
though it is not perfect, i do find some issue.

• hdr playback on youtube is broken(on samsung tv), it blinks every few second.
  • android mediacodec cant decode hevc content on kodi, i think similar thing happened to radxa android build too.
  • standby mode might be broken, i cant get the device wake up with remote (+tv remote) or power button (haven’t tried with keyboard though)

some quality of life improvement suggestion (not really):

• disable talkbalk accesibility mode by default (though this is unfair for people who have bad eyesight)
  • increase volume step from 25 to 50.

also to note that never install this on class4 sd card, it is a totally unusable :smiley:

1 Like