[ROM] AndroidTV Pie Custom firmware by mo123

Link updated, copy paste error :slight_smile:

Thank you for your work @mo123 !
Is there a way to update to latest version without the need to reinstall our apps ?

Hi

You can try to use

https://apkpure.com/migrate-custom-rom-migration-tool/balti.migrate or
https://f-droid.org/packages/dk.jens.backup/

Maybe the last app will help with all your needs and itā€™s open-source so the developer can add new features if users require them.
Download the apkā€™s on a PC and install from external storage on RockPi 4 since those apps arenā€™t available in the AndroidTV Store.

Added boot.img to patch through Magisk for people that need it.

and added instructions to patch it with Magisk.
https://forum.radxa.com/t/guide-for-androidtv-firmware-by-mo123/2459/2

Really nice stuff @mo123, I played with 1.1 I had one issue with sounds which seams really low, I tried all bitstream mode (I couldnā€™t test the mini jack mine is broken).
I wanted to download last version but archive seems to be broken.
cheers

The link seems okay.
Did you try the v1.3 link later in the thread here?

Unzip with 7zip and password for unzipping is radxa

Kodi has some problems where audio volume resets for some people but should be fixed in a few days when they update the app.

You can try with Audio settings as Bitstream or Stereo(if not using HDMI passthrough)
Safe volume, you can disable it if needed.
The is also a setting to lock the audio so you can only change volume with your tv or AVR remote so devices donā€™t all use different volume levels.
I canā€™t remember if the volume resets to a certain level after booting, think radxa also set some default value, level 12 audio or something. I can try to change some things later if there are still problems.

I have problems in version 1.3 with sound everywhere, not just in kodi. The sound is very quiet through HDMI. In the settings I increase the volume level, and after exiting the setup menu it returns again as it was.
In this version, CEC continues to work for me after switching to TV. Very good :slight_smile:

I am now loading some systems using the boot flag on boot partition.

# parted /dev/mmcblk0 p
Model: SD SL16G (sd/mmc)
Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 15,9GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name     Flags
 1      32,8kB  4129kB  4096kB
 2      8389kB  12,6MB  4194kB
 3      12,6MB  16,8MB  4194kB
 4      16,8MB  134MB   117MB   fat16        mint     boot, esp
 5      134MB   252MB   117MB   fat16        xubuntu  boot, esp
 6      252MB   789MB   537MB   fat16                 msftdata
 7      789MB   1325MB  537MB   fat16                 msftdata
 8      1325MB  1862MB  537MB   fat16                 msftdata
 9      1862MB  2399MB  537MB   fat16                 msftdata
10      2399MB  13,1GB  10,7GB  ext4         ubuntu

loading mint from nvme now. If I enter ā€˜parted /dev/mmcblk0 t 4 bootā€™, the boot flag from partition 4 will disappear and the 5th partition will be loaded with the boot flag on it.
Android also have boot flag on the first partition. I removed the flag from it, made another boot partition with the boot flag active, but android was booting :frowning:
It would be nice to make uboot for android so that it loads first partitions with the boot flag :slight_smile:

Hopefully Radxa will be able to suggest something after their holidays.

Glad HDMI CEC is working now.

For audio I use a cheap airmouse and use the volume buttons on it.
https://www.gearbest.com/air-mouse-c_11908/ā€™
After setting the audio to maximum, you can try to lock the audio volume, think I added a setting for that.

1 Like

Thanks @mo123, sound level is saved with the 1.3, CEC works perfectly for me.

Ola, qual a versĆ£o do google play usado? Consigo instalar o pubg? Gostaria de uma ajuda sobre isso! Ty

Hello, what version of google play is used? Can I install pubg? I would like some help on that! Ty

You can try to install it from the APKPure App Store in the AppDrawer or manually download and install from a USB Disk
https://apkpure.com/pubg-mobile-4-android-i/com.tencent.ig or install Aptoide App Store and install it from there
https://pubg-mobile-tencent-games.en.aptoide.com/

Hi @mo123 really great work. Some questions (donā€™t have rock PI yet)
1: have you seen rock pi 1.4 has support to boot nvme? so can we follow the basic instructions to install your OS to nvme by default?
2: Does your OS build have hardware video decoding in Nova Player / others or is it software?

I have a standard chinese android tv media box and the issue is for H265 or high efficiency encoded videos the video player always drop frame and doesnā€™t play properly so this is a question for changing to rockpi + your os

Hi

Kodi works great.
HD Audio passthrough is supported - DTS, AC3, EAC3, DTS-HD, DTS-HD MA & True-HD
Auto frame-rate switching is supported so videos play at the correct frame-rate eg. 23.976hz, 24hz, 25hz, 50hz, 60hz
8/10-Bit H264, 8/10-bit H265, VC1, VP9, Mpeg2, Mpeg4, HDR are all supported with hardware acceleration using less than 20% CPU usage.

Nova Video Player is also fully supported.
I recently asked the developer to add 10-bit color video playback for Rockhip devices and it was added quickly. So things work great with this video player, auto frame-rate switching also works with it.

You can also use LibreELEC if you want even better performance and also 1080p Netflix playback(but this is software decoded since itā€™s Linux, so you need the big heatsink for Netflix).

I donā€™t use an NVME, but other users has succcess in booting it and Radxa can also help you if you have problems when they are back after the holidays.

Thatā€™s great.

I like Android TV OS so wanted to buy Raspberry PI 4 but they donā€™t support android tv
which is how I found ROCK Pi & your rom so thanks again for your work

You mentioned spoofing Xiaomi in v1.3 does this mean itā€™s possible to get Netflix HD (android app) by default?

Netflix only works in 940px540p resolution in Android.
You need a Widevine L1 license and Netflix contract to play higher which Netflix doesnā€™t allow on open-source devices and the manufacturer has to sell a minimum of 3 million devices a year which is impossible for most companies.

But 1080p is supported in LibreELEC well since itā€™s Linux.
Iā€™m working on getting a dual-boot Android/LibreELEC firmware firmware up where itā€™s easier to switch between the 2 OSā€™s, but Iā€™m waiting for extra help since itā€™s a complicated process.

I see understood.
Does your rom have 24FPS auto framerate switching working?

On my alfawise h96 android box (amlogic s912 cpu) this is a problem.
So some videos there is stutter/frame drop when playback.

Yes, 23.976, 24, 29.97, 59.94hz can play correctly in Kodi and Nova Video Player.
You can also map a key on a USB keyboard, airmouse to work with the RefreshRate app in the firmware then you can press this key when in an app eg. MxPlayer, Netflix, IPTV app to manually switch to any frame-rate. If you know the video is eg. 25/50hz(EU) or 23.976hz(US) then you can manually switch to this frame-rate so it doesnā€™t play at 60hz which will cause stuttering.

Here is also a link to LibreELEC I made, will update it in future

Nice got it.
Any plan to add TWRP recovery for easier backup and flash partitions?
Will allow to backing up data partition when upgrading rom builds you release

Hi
I tested mo123ā€™s firmware boot from NVME.

My ssd is HP EX900.
and, Android 9 radxa official image booted from NVME completely.
U-boot is here.
https://wiki.radxa.com/Rockpi4/install/android-NVME

Result
v1.1 booted. But the home screen flashed.
v1.2 logo showed, but crashed
v1.3 logo showed, but crashed

I will test v1.0 later.