[ROM] AndroidTV Pie Custom firmware by mo123

Thanks that’s really good

Some small update posted.
Firmware is pre-rooted with Magisk, you just need to update the Magisk Manager app, no need to flash TWRP or a different boot image anymore.

2 Likes

Hey mo123,

Thank you for your awesome contributions… I was trying out the AndroidTV 1.1 image, and the Netflix app just opens to a black screen and then closes shortly after a few seconds. I’ve just booted up and added my WiFi details, is there anything I should be doing additionally? Thanks again.

Hi

You can try to clear the cache of the Netflix app.
You can also try to root with Magisk, uninstall it first then reinstall the Magisk Manager app and then hide root from the Netflix app or use a system app remover to uninstall it.
Only the v6.21 Netflix app works from here.
https://apkpure.com/netflix/com.netflix.mediaclient

Newer versions of the app eg. v7 will quit as on most devices that have unlocked bootloaders.

You can also try my LibreELEC image and the Netflix addon to get 1080p Netflix compared to 540p in Android.

I will test the Netflix Android app later since I’m busy working on some more Android improvements.

But it’s a 7 day holiday in China so some troubleshooting help I need might not be provided by Radxa or Rockchip for a few days, but I’ll release what I can.

1 Like

Hi mo123,

You seriously rock, thanks for the super quick response!!!

Dear,
I don’t own a Rock Pi 4 yet but want to purchase if it fulfill my needs :slight_smile: I want an Android Pie TV rom to run on this device that must support 1080p and 4K youtube, 1080p Netflix ( if more that would be nice), wifi and Bluetooth working and for the kids: Chrome cast support working. Will this ROM do that?

Continuing the discussion from [ROM] AndroidTV Pie Custom firmware by mo123:

Hi

Youtube is no problem.
There are Youtube Vanced and SmartYoutubeTV that can play 4K.

Netflix will be limited to 960x540p in Android since they don’t support HD playback on open Android platforms, only locked down devices. 960x540p is decent on a 40" 1080p tv as they use high bit-rate compared to other streaming services. If you have a 4K tv, it will have built-in 4K Netflix anyway.
But if you load LibreELEC onto a micro-sd card, you can use the Netflix addon and play up to 1080p.
You can then install firmware onto the emmc storage.

Chrome-cast won’t work. It only works on the Xiaomi Mi box and Nvidia Shield which both have limitations.
There are other ways to cast videos and photos from your phone or PC to the device by means of Happycast and Airscreen, then you can cast it to a video playing app or Kodi.
You can also mirror your phone’s screen onto the device but it might have 0.5-1 second lag.

Make sure you then get the emmc chip, eMMC to uSD and
ecoPI LP/HP case or ecoPi Starter case + separate big heatsink since Netflix uses software decoding and will cause extra heat. The USB-A to USB-C power/data cable with switch is also useful for powering on/off since there is no ir remote. You can also look at a cheap airmouse(<$10) on Gearbest/Aliexpress, it works great to control the device, otherwise you will need a wired/wireless USB keyboard or mouse.

I’m trying to get dual-booting to work then you will be able to switch easily from Android to LibreELEC in a few seconds and back. But because it’s something new that needs to be developed, it will take some time to get the best approach and test it after Rockchip or Radxa develops it.

Super. Good job. I have Nanopi M4 and Changelog v1.1 have some stability issues, but image Changelog v1.0 works great. Thank you for your work

hi Mo123

first thank you for sharing with us.

I fresh installed 1.1, kodi works well

Prime Video (installed via playstore) does not Play videos

when I start to play one I get the message:

“something went wrong please try again later”
vist:
www.amazon.com/videohelp

I have no Idea whats the reason.

has somebody an idea?

greetings

Hi

Are you using this app, the tablet version?
https://apkpure.com/amazon-prime-video/com.amazon.avod.thirdpartyclient
The app icon will appear in the Appdrawer or you can use http://atvlauncher.trekgonewild.de/ to create a banner icon for the Homescreen by using the AndroidTV app banner.

The AndroidTV app version I think won’t work.

You can also try the Amazon Prime Kodi addon.
If watching streams from Europe then you can enable auto frame-rate switching in Kodi video settings and add the resolutions in Kodi’s System Settings Display Whitelist to play 25/50hz streams instead of playing everything at 60hz for bteer video playback smoothness.

THX

the apkpure version of prime video works fine.

I oped apkpure searched for amazon video and installed it

gretings

I managed to create a banner for the home screen.

but I have more questions

I installed Asphalt 8 and I could start it, but the download pages stays at 0%.
The device is connected via WiFi.

I connected a new PS4 dual shock controller via Bluetooth, but it is not working

What can I do?

and how do you added the controller support, I like to add this also on my tinker board

greetings

You can try to copy these 2 files to the system/usr/keylayout/ folder but you must root with Magisk to access the folder and use a simple file manager like MiXplorer to copy the files as it will also set the correct file permissions which other file managers might not do.

More info

Here is a useful guide to determine the vendor and id of a particular gamepad by using a gamepad tester apk so you can create or search online for a keylayout file you need.

Asphalt only works over wifi since it’s made for phones, but I added a patch so it can also download game data over ethernet.
But I’ll test it, maybe there is something else wrong.

I will upload a new firmware with all the gamepads soon and a better way to update Magisk.

this link doesnt work anymore

You can download the latest Magisk Manager here.

https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/download/manager-v7.4.0/MagiskManager-v7.4.0.apk

The boot.img is already pre-patched, so you only need to uninstall the existing Magisk Manager and install the nwe one.

I also made a banner icon for Magisk Manager.
To check, the banner apps are usually 50-100KB in size and have ATV in the name. The actual apps are the ones 1-50MB in size.

thx again,

I was successful to reinstall Magisk and copy the two files Vendor_054c_Product_05c4.kl and Vendor_054c_Product_09cc.kl.

I restartet the device, but the controller still dos not work.

even after reconnect, it does not work

its a cuh-zct2e DualShock 4 controller.

something more i cloud to?

greetings

On a PC
https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Compatibility_Peripherals/How_do_I_check_the_PID_VID_of_my_USB_device

And on Android
Open a Terminal app(there should be one in the AppDrawer already) enter the command
cat /proc/bus/input/devices

Now you will see the vendor id and product id codes of the remote.
Please paste the output.

When you copied the remote files, can you check their file permissions, it must be read/write, read, read.

Hi Mo,

The controller is connected via Bluetooth, but it is not lkistenet as a device.

the two files have rw- r-- r-- 644 permission

do i need to install an extra driver?

Hi

Are you successful to do the initial bluetooth connection with the PS4 controller and RockPi 4?
“Hold down the Share and PS buttons simultaneously until the light bar begins to flash white to connect to bluetooth.”

Please check if you can do the steps here on a PC to get the remote’s information if you have a bluetooth dongle.
https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Compatibility_Peripherals/How_do_I_check_the_PID_VID_of_my_USB_device

Or run this command in Android in a terminal app after connecting with bluetooth and share the output.
cat /proc/bus/input/devices

I only have Xbox controllers so can’t test any PS3/4 remotes.

I will upload a new firmware soon, also with an extra 20 game controllers support.

Hi

thats the Hardware ID when connected to windows via usb:
USB\VID_054C&PID_09CC&REV_0100&MI_00
USB\VID_054C&PID_09CC&MI_00

only connected to Bluetooth its shown as generic Bluetooth device

I connected it several times to the rockpi, but it isn’t listed as device, I used an app and I check it in the shell via adb.