RAID Woes with SATA Hat, Rpi4, 4x 1TB WD Red Disks

BLUF: I can see 4 drives in my “Storage | Disks” section, but I cannot see them in “Raid Management” to create a raid.

I am able to get all 4 (1TB WD Red) drives to appear in the OMV GUI by adding the following to /lib/udev/rules.d/60-persistent-storage.rules

KERNEL=="sd*", ATTRS{idVendor}=="1058", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0a10", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", PROGRAM="/root/serial.sh %k", ENV{ID_SERIAL}="USB-%c", ENV{ID_SERIAL_SHORT}="%c"

and adding an executable /root/serial.sh:

#!/bin/bash

/sbin/hdparm -I /dev/$1 | grep 'Serial Number' | awk '{print $3}'

However I cannot get the drives to appear in the RAID Management despite doing a secure wipe on all drives.

The serial.sh file, when executed manually, produces an error:
HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(identify) failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device

I figure it is possibly due to the fact that the subsystem is USB (which OMV warns won’t show drives mounted as such in the RAID Management), but I cannot get it to use the scsi subsystem.

Any thoughts?

Hi!

look:

switching the subsystem to scsi didn’t work for me. I have started fresh with a new raspberian image and will be more careful with my installation steps.

When using this line in my storage rules:

# Quad Sata hat Fix
KERNEL=="sd*", ATTRS{idVendor}=="1058", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0a10", SUBSYSTEMS=="scsi", PROGRAM="/root/serial.sh %k", ENV{ID_SERIAL}="USB-%c", ENV{ID_SERIAL_SHORT}="%c"

I only see sdc and sdd, with both serial numbers registering as “1234567890123”.

If I change the SUBSYSTEMS to usb, I see all 4 disks with (presumably) accurate serial numbers.

In either case, I cannot see any drives in Raid Management, despite performing a drive wipe.

I have noticed that, despite seeing all 4 drives in lsblk, I only see two hard drives under lsusb:

$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 1058:0a10 Western Digital Technologies, Inc.
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 1058:0a10 Western Digital Technologies, Inc.
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 2109:3431 VIA Labs, Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

With the exception of usb/scsi reversal, I am seeing somewhat the same.

On mine, if I do a usb rule, I see the 1234567… serial number, which is a default from reading the hosting device (as noted in the JMicron discussions), since the serial script is not run and the actual serial acquired from the device.

I still only see the two drives with an lsusb (and 4 with lsblk) with the product/vendor id indicating a Western Digital drive. This is interesting since I am using seagate drives.

For me, with the rule set to scsi, I get the serial script executed which gets the actual serial number from the drive, rather than the default from the drive’s parent device.

I do not see any of the drives in Raid Management, but there is the fine print below the window that indicates that OMV considers USB drives to be unstable and won’t show you USB drives to allow you to create a raid device through this UI.

However, if you use mdadm to created your raid array, OMV recognizes the array and will show the statistics about it, state of creation/recovery and so on.

1 Like

Thank you. I’ll follow your suggestions and just make my array in mdadm. This get me up and running enough to start using the hardware. Much appreciated.

You are not seeing Western Digital drives, you are seeing two Western Digital SATA to USB converters that each convert two of the SATA ports on the HAT to USB.

do the wd red drives fit well in the enclosure ? if I’m not mistaken those are 9.5mm, how is the temp on the drives, any space left between them ?

Try : How to upgrade F/W with jms561 under Raspberry Pi