Power supply for the rockpi

It is the NB679GD. It seems to not hold up to well to higher voltages, even if they are within the specs. Luckily I was able to desolder it at can use the Rock Pi with the NB679GD bridged with a 5V supply. Maybe I’ll try to replace it some day.

1 Like

This is wrong! 20V will fry the board. The voltage divider on the enable pin of the NB679GD will supply a too high voltage to it then. Also the input capacitor is rated 16V only according to the datasheet. The specification of the Rock Pi 4 should urgently be corrected! As it is the max voltage is 13V! See also here.

Hi all, after a fair bit of reading (the entire thread and some others), I think I know the answer, but I’d rather be on the safe side…
Will this PSU work : “Meanwell HDR-30-12V”?

Going to plug a couple of USB dongles ; worth going for the 60W version?

Firstly, I want to make absolutely sure I don’t damage the device with constant 12V power. To be on the safe side I bought a USB C power cable, that literally just has the red and black wires ready to solder and connect.

Secondly, is there, or could there be, any impact in using a QC or PD supply versus a fixed 12v when it comes to stability, or performance?

Must admit I initially thought I’d use my Meanwell 60W 5V supply, but even pushing at 5.5V, from what i see I fear I may run into stability issues. If the dumb 12V works, then bingo.

On a sidenote; had a spare Lenovo PSU, and was toying with the idea… Thanks for sharing, that won’t be tested now.

Hi,
I haven’t tried with the QC or PD system, but from the documentation it says it can be powered up to 20V. So at 12V go easy, because it has been working for me for months with continuous, fixed 12V. My problem is that the device I am building goes into an industrial environment, and I only have 24V, now I understand from the diagram that on the board there is intelligent step-down that regulates the power supply, but if they would have given me the guarantee that it could reach 24V I would have connected it directly. Now I have the 24V from the switching power supply of the factory, then I get to my 3A step-down, that’s enough, and I turn it down to 12V that go on the board.
I think I am quite protected, the voltage goes through 3 power supplies. Anyway the important thing that it does not exceed 20V, and you do not go to 5V, at 5V it works but as soon as you add a peripheral that absorbs you even 100mA more it restarts or freezes.
I hope I have helped you with my experience, Hi.

1 Like

Many thanks for the feedback.

Rockpi has been running on a standard “dumb” 12V PSU for a month now, and seems stable and happy so far.