Power supply for the rockpi

We have built something similar as yours and tested with a power source generator, it works without issues. You can check the video here:

https://im3.ezgif.com/tmp/ezgif-3-b4b332c6b0f9.mp4

However, when we use a 19V power adapter for a projector(xgimi projector) we have, it just burnt the board… It turns out the NB679GD chip is burnt. We can fix it by replacing a new NB679GD.

Another 19V ASUS laptop power adapter seems good and did not burnt the NB679GD.

Multiple 12V power adapters are tested and works without issue.

1 Like

So my setup is correct but board has some issues specific to itself. I suspected NB679GD and gave 5V to GPIO +5V pin as others did in this topic for just only ONCE and it didn’t work either.

Result:
It seems burn of NB679GD may pass through high voltage to 5V power rail of the board and it seems it has completely gone.
I would advise others not to use 20V(trial will be turning fortune of wheel).

Thanks for response.

But it seems responsibility does not make any sense.

1 Like

Hi all!
I’m only waiting for my RockPi, have a big plans for it (NAS, OMV, PLEX etc.)
So as I get, PentaSata Hat is needed for ATX power, so i’m gonna take one 1u server PSU (it’s not so expensive, and after some period i think i will find a real usage for it).
sooo, is it possible to power all from it: PCB, HAT & 5* 3.5 drives? And how should this to be done?

The Penta SATA HAT can also use a DC power supply, which works with 3.5-inch drives.

You mean DC supply from rockpi itself? (from usb-c PD?)

From the hat DC

Sorry, i don’t get it
Correct me if i’m wrong:
There is RockPi itself, it could be powered by Type-c
And there is Penta Sata Hat, which connected to SBC via M.2 and GPIO. Also it have ATX power input.

My question was - can I, with only ATX power supply unit (like standard for PC) power RockPi and Sata Hat? Should i wire somehow GPIO, or find atx->usb-c adapter, to power all in one?

Thanks and sorry for my stupidness

Yes, you can just use an ATX power supply. Just assemble ROCK Pi and Penta SATA HAT together.

Hey there!
Well, I’m successfully powering my RockPi from the standard ATX PSU, but for that I had to shorten green and black pins on main socket, and use builtin power switch. What I missing? Is there a way to manage the power on and off, more convenient -ish? may be some extra PCB or anything else?

Prob something like a denounced push switch on a JK flip flop driving a transistor could replace the short or even just a latching push switch.
Or via gpio but again a JK flip flop that is on via its first clock (power on).

A few ways I guess but yeah its a bit of DiY needed.

Thanks! But unfortunately, i’m not so good in electronics (especially in english terminology), can you provide some links on real products, just like an example please?
Thanks!

Your prob best googling raspberry pi info on driving a transistor via gpio as a switch.

“2n2222 pi circuit”

Actually its also a long time for me a D-type would prob be easier but again you will have to google.

Or as I say replace your shorting wire with a push latching switch.

1 Like

Something similar seems to have happened to me. It worked fine with a Xiaomi 5V/9V/12V USB power supply. I wanted to switch to an old laptop power supply, Dell 19,7V, used this adapter (https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005001609603310.html) and soldered the correct barrel jack to the Dell power supply. But when I connected it nothing happened and it does not work with the Xiaomi power supply either anymore. I tested with a multimeter and the 5V rail is shorted to ground now. I double checked, I did not mess up the polarity. Tomorrow I will attempt to desolder the NB679GB and check if it is responsible for the short.

Will this power supply work with the new Rock Pi 4B+? See datasheet.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/tensility-international-corp/16-00242/12756206

How about this lower priced one?

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/phihong-usa/AQ18A-59CFA-H/11203791

Buy from Amazon, any USB PD PS will work.

It is the NB679GD. It seems to not hold up to well to higher voltages, even if they are within the specs. Luckily I was able to desolder it at can use the Rock Pi with the NB679GD bridged with a 5V supply. Maybe I’ll try to replace it some day.

1 Like

This is wrong! 20V will fry the board. The voltage divider on the enable pin of the NB679GD will supply a too high voltage to it then. Also the input capacitor is rated 16V only according to the datasheet. The specification of the Rock Pi 4 should urgently be corrected! As it is the max voltage is 13V! See also here.

Hi all, after a fair bit of reading (the entire thread and some others), I think I know the answer, but I’d rather be on the safe side…
Will this PSU work : “Meanwell HDR-30-12V”?

Going to plug a couple of USB dongles ; worth going for the 60W version?

Firstly, I want to make absolutely sure I don’t damage the device with constant 12V power. To be on the safe side I bought a USB C power cable, that literally just has the red and black wires ready to solder and connect.

Secondly, is there, or could there be, any impact in using a QC or PD supply versus a fixed 12v when it comes to stability, or performance?

Must admit I initially thought I’d use my Meanwell 60W 5V supply, but even pushing at 5.5V, from what i see I fear I may run into stability issues. If the dumb 12V works, then bingo.

On a sidenote; had a spare Lenovo PSU, and was toying with the idea… Thanks for sharing, that won’t be tested now.

Hi,
I haven’t tried with the QC or PD system, but from the documentation it says it can be powered up to 20V. So at 12V go easy, because it has been working for me for months with continuous, fixed 12V. My problem is that the device I am building goes into an industrial environment, and I only have 24V, now I understand from the diagram that on the board there is intelligent step-down that regulates the power supply, but if they would have given me the guarantee that it could reach 24V I would have connected it directly. Now I have the 24V from the switching power supply of the factory, then I get to my 3A step-down, that’s enough, and I turn it down to 12V that go on the board.
I think I am quite protected, the voltage goes through 3 power supplies. Anyway the important thing that it does not exceed 20V, and you do not go to 5V, at 5V it works but as soon as you add a peripheral that absorbs you even 100mA more it restarts or freezes.
I hope I have helped you with my experience, Hi.

1 Like

Many thanks for the feedback.

Rockpi has been running on a standard “dumb” 12V PSU for a month now, and seems stable and happy so far.