PLEASE HELP: sd*s are not showing

It has been a long time I haven’t worked on my gadgets. I bought my Quad SATA HAT Enclosure back in February, but didn’t even try it until today. I’m having problem to set it up.

Hardwares:

Software:

• Tried Debian ARM64 Buster (custom build), Ubuntu Server 20.10 64-bit (from Raspberry Imager), Ubuntu Server 20.04.1 LTS 64 bit (from Raspberry Imager).

Problem:

• None of them shows any of the 2 SSDs, basically, no sd* under /dev
  • lsusb doesn’t show any of those devices.
  • lsblk doesn’t show any of those devices.

Working:

• Installed software following the instructions, the OLED display and fan are working, I can change the fan speed too.
  • i2c-tools shows 3C (of course, the OLED and fan are working).

Tried but failed:

• Tried to run JMMassProd_v1_16_15_12 following the instructions, but Windows 10 popped up and says the USB device is malfunctioned (question mark shown in Device Manager). JMMassProd_v1_16_15_12 doesn’t show any connected device (see screenshot). The USB-A cable is directly plugged in the HAT.
  • Can’t try the Linux procedures since /dev/sd* are not available.

Thank you for any suggestion!

Thank you for providing such detailed information. It is possible that the USB bridge is bad, can you find an A-A cable to test it?

Thank you for the quick response. It doesn’t look good. I replaced the USB bridge with 2 sets of USB-A cables, ubuntu shows:
[ 126.626612] usb usb2-port1: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?
[ 130.718379] usb usb2-port1: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?
[ 130.725379] usb usb2-port1: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?
[ 131.752025] usb usb2-port1: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?
[ 131.763892] usb usb2-port1: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?
[ 135.660253] usb usb2-port1: unable to enumerate USB device

Tried different USB combinations, all the same.

Consider Windows 10 complains about “USB device malfunctioned” when directly plugged into the HAT USB port, it’s more likely the USB part on the HAT went bad.

Since no error messages when using the USB bridge, I guess the bridge is bad too. Maybe it’s the bridge damaged the USB on the HAT?

More testing:

• The same “Cannot enable” messages after removed the SSDs and the top board.
  • The same “Cannot enable” messages with a proven working USB-A cable.
  • The USB port on Raspberry Pi 4 is proven working (with a USB dongle).

What do you think?