One step forward

@TomaszJ, about BSODs you have met. I had a lot of them too, the problem with them is in drivers for one of the following device:
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_22B8&SUBSYS_72708086&REV_36\3&11583659&0&18
ACPI\BCM2EA4\4&29E26D5C&0
SD\VID_02d0&PID_a0bf&FN_1
SD\VID_02d0&PID_a0bf&FN_2
SD\VID_02d0&PID_a0bf&FN_3

As long as I don’t have them installed - i have yet to meet any BSOD (from every 1-2 hours to already 2 days without any)

Update:
I discovered at least one of the driver that just summoning BSOD. It’s
SD\VID_02d0&PID_a0bf&FN_1

Update 2:
Ugh, now i know why. Latest Windows 10 update just incompatible with bcm43455\bcm43456

1 Like

When will this board be available to buy?

1 Like

@TomaszJ, i’m still testing it, but if you still have problem with BSOD, please install this driver
https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=Broadcom%20802.11ac%20WDI%20SDIO%20Adapter version 1.596.33.0

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/ScopedViewInline.aspx?updateid=5a7d17b7-cb49-4d50-b943-66f7ad0f0e92

@Dante4

I have wiped Windows and installed Linux on eMMC so this problem does not affect me anymore.

Anyway - thank you for sharing. Maybe your tips will be helpful to other users.

I hope it will. I would install linux too, but i need Heroes 3&5 with Microsoft Office, and using wine is…not optimal (like why emulate something when i can use it without it).

Btw, if you have free time, may you test any x265 10 bits video? I’m interested maybe Linux doing better job at it (jellyfish-20-mbps-hd-hevc-10bit.mkv and jellyfish-10-mbps-hd-hevc-10bit.mkv)

As far as i can see the GPU in Rock PI X can hardware video decode only HEVC main profile - which is 8bit as far as i understand:

root@rockpix:~# vainfo 
libva info: VA-API version 1.5.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib64/va/drivers/i965_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_1_5
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA-API version: 1.5 (libva 2.5.0)
vainfo: Driver version: Intel i965 driver for Intel(R) CherryView - 2.3.0
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
      VAProfileMPEG2Simple            :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileMPEG2Simple            :	VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileMPEG2Main              :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileMPEG2Main              :	VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline:	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline:	VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264Main               :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264Main               :	VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264High               :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264High               :	VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264MultiviewHigh      :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264MultiviewHigh      :	VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264StereoHigh         :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264StereoHigh         :	VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileVC1Simple              :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Main                :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Advanced            :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileNone                   :	VAEntrypointVideoProc
      VAProfileJPEGBaseline           :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileJPEGBaseline           :	VAEntrypointEncPicture
      VAProfileVP8Version0_3          :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVP8Version0_3          :	VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileHEVCMain               :	VAEntrypointVLD

I dont think it would work any better than under Windows.

I’m actually positive surprised it does the x265 hardware decoding at all :slight_smile:

I do know that, but i’m more interested in how good x265 10bit performs under Linux, since Windows likes to take additional CPU for nothing.

For Windows you can also install the HEVC codec from the Microsoft Store to enable HEVC system-wide like in browsers to play high quality Netflix or other streaming services.

This is not available for Linux but perhaps you could use Kodi and the Netflix addon to get up to 1080p at least.

Well, the x265 is not a problem, 10bits is

@Dante4

Your videos do not play at all. Here is the output i’m getting from the VLC app:

[00007fb4f8c4a3c0] avcodec decoder error: more than 5 seconds of late video -> dropping frame (computer too slow ?)
[00007fb4f8c4a3c0] avcodec decoder error: more than 5 seconds of late video -> dropping frame (computer too slow ?)
[hevc @ 0x7fb4f8c46b70] Could not find ref with POC 176
[hevc @ 0x7fb4f8c46b70] Could not find ref with POC 174
[hevc @ 0x7fb4f8c46b70] Could not find ref with POC 172
[hevc @ 0x7fb4f8c46b70] Could not find ref with POC 170
[hevc @ 0x7fb4f8c46b70] Could not find ref with POC 166
[hevc @ 0x7fb4f8cace10] Could not find ref with POC 198

Other videos play normally.

Hm, okaaaay, thank you :slight_smile:

Do I have to worry about device tree on Rock Pi X?

This is (luckily) an x86_64 board so it has a standard UEFI firmware.

No need to mess with a device trees.

1 Like

Does anyone have driver ids for analogue sound?

Hi Jack!

I am a software developer, working for ARM architectures. I think that Rock Pi X is a very interesting alternative and I would like to contribute to this platform. Please, I would like to apply for a sample. Thank you.

Yours sincerely,
John.

@tarsot, what type of contribution would you be doing? I would be very happy to see what you are working on.

@irqisequalto, I usually work with different projects under Docker for ARM on Linux. Soon, I will update my GitHub repositories so that they can be consulted.

That would be awesome, looking forward to it!

Hello everyone.

Is the competition for a Rock Pi X still going on, or am I to late for the party?

Anyways: I’m working on a minimal Linux-based operating system optimized for running Docker containers. I’d really like a similarly minimal x86-based platform for developing and running this on, as I think it would make an perfect companion for the Rock Pi X.

1 Like

How could I only get to know about this now? This would be perfect for what I was planning on doing.

I was planning on doing cheap thin clients and a blade server with RPis, but they kind of suck for this purpose, so I had to stop. I had even made some drawings about the enclosures and diagrams of the circuits that I would use.

An x86 platform with the same form factor as the RPi will probably make those two projects possible, so is the free sample program still going on after more than 2 months? Because I would like one (or two, for the blade server project).