New N100 intel board => X4

Arace just added POE+ HAT for X4

is it any different than previous board? all I can see is different type of gpio header
cooling fan is obviously on wrong side for x4, but we all expected that.
there is v1.1 version on photos and x1.2 on others,

The PoE+ HAT page on Radxa’s website lists as the PoE+ board fitting all of their boards. I don’t see why the X4 would require a new PoE+ HAT.

The fan is easy to unplug, or leave it there to cool the SSD and the Wireless module :wink:

The X4 PoE(SKU: RA017x) is slightly different from the one for 5A / 5B(SKU: RA017) because X4 is powered in 12V from PoE HAT, not 5V from GPIO header. This is because we can not power the entire N100 system from 5V. It’s a technical issue we can not solve.

2 Likes

Right now this is confusing,
two hats looking almost the same and there is no compatibility list along each other,
edit: on radxa site there is outdated compatibility list - not including new board, on bottom X4 is listed, if this product is different then You can never say something like that from radxa site, also photos of poe hats are mixed (with different versions and revisions), this is confusing :confused:

If it’s 12V POE HAT it should be listed like this, also it should not fit on 5V boards.

what will happen if someone try to connect wrong HAT to 5B or X4?

If they are not compatible they should not fit on wrong sbc. Raspberry is happy to change POE header location on all even boards, but those are compatible, just header is moved. Here I think that there can be more serious problem :frowning:

also there is labelled on some POE hats connector near GPIO - with 12V and GND.
Is it possible to wire those to gpio of X4 with old POE+ HAT?

Edit4: I just noticed that X4 has two pins neat usb-c described as pwr in. Is X4 POE+ HAT just have additional cable from green connector to those?

Yeah, very confusing

That makes sense that it’s not 5V. So, the X4 PoE HAT plugs into the Power IN pins next to USB-C port?

When are you planning on having documentation on the X4? I have one on order with Arace.

Thanks!

heres the result btw https://pastebin.com/Z2E9WS5e

Result of what? If it’s not X4 on which thingy did you let the garbage run?

heres the result btw https://pastebin.com/Z2E9WS5e

Result of what? If it’s not X4 on which thingy did you let the garbage run?

The x4l

And you are the product manager announcing it?

Nah, im a dev i mostly work on RadxaOS n such, i was sent this device as a backup cause the arm hardware i have sometimes doesnt cut it, i just decided to share the result as its from the X4 family

Hi friend, the POE for X4 information is outdated, we will update very soon

So, in the first ever thread about the X4, you post results from some tests on X4L, not even saying this is about an unannounced board. What made you think this wouldn’t confuse anyone?

Thanks for pointing this out, the compatibility list of normal 25W PoE+ will be updated.

The PoE+ HAT for X4 vs PoE+ HAT:

The X4 one adds a new 2P 2.0mm header at the X4 USB C location for 12V directly in. If you have the normal PoE+ HAT, you can also use a 2P Phoenix cable to 2.0mm dupond cable to power the X4.

1 Like

I know some people who already order X4 with wrong POE board, I don’t know about their arace order status, but they mey be just suprised that listed as compatible adapter lacks something. If it’s just as simple as wiring two pins it should be ok. It was just confusing.

Ok, so this should be safe option:

• old POE+ HAT and ROCK5 = ok
  • old POE+ HAT and X4 => simple 2pin for 12V needed (easy to assembly)
  • new POE+ HAT and ROCK5 = ?
  • new POE+ HAT and X4 => ok

BTW: I think that You should consider some kind of universal POE+ HAT that:

• dont have Pi4 and PI5 POE header - instead of that passthrough holes
  • for needed configuration female-male small 4 pin adapter to stick that into needed place.
  • same thing for 12V for X4?

I tested Radxa POE+ HAT with pi5, all I needed was to extend gpio, spacers and make extension from pi4 style poe to pi5 poe header. I think this should be very very easy to solve. This is quite big POE board, has many functions and i would love to have it as much universal as possible.

Thanks for the info!

What are the X86 GPIO to reset/flash the RP2040?

Hi, I’m joining this conversation to ask about more documentation on the available headers (mainly what we can expect to be different between a pi and the X4).

Any information on how to power the board from a hat is welcome, as it’s not clear if we should provide or not 5V to the X4.

I’d think that no current should be provided through the 5V header from a hat, but it is listed as an input under connectivity :
“- 1 x 5V DC power in”

Thx in advance!

Any plan to release a 16GB version?

Summary:

• old POE+ HAT and ROCK5 = ok
  • old POE+ HAT and X4 => simple 2pin for 12V needed (easy to assembly)
  • new POE+ HAT and ROCK5 = ok
  • new POE+ HAT and X4 => ok

The new PoE for X4(SKU: RA017x) is the universal one…

“- 1 x 5V DC power in”

This is an error and we have fixed it. The GPIO 5V of X4 can only output power but not feed in power.

Ty for the quick feedback!
Have a great day