New N100 intel board => X4

I just saw that radxa homepage have changed, and radxa X4 is added :slight_smile:

This looks great, 2230 nvme slot is everything I needed, I suppose there will be some extender for 2280, but for me small is perfect.
No photo from bottom of board, will there be heatsing lik for bottom oriented ROCK4 family?

2 Likes

https://dl.radxa.com/x/x4/

It would be nice if we would have a metal enclosure for this. Given the power consumption of the N100, I think it will need a fan.

2 Likes

Now… all this needs is a quality shell covering it ! Nice job rad-Axa!

3 Likes

Any idea if it’s going to be available with eMMC?

There will be SKUs available with and without pre-installed eMMC.

1 Like

Afaik that emmc is for roobi only it doesn’t show up without me pressing R on startup

2 Likes

If that’s the case 8/16GB should be enough for roobi, like Rock 5 ITX. And I saw the 32/64/128GB eMMC SKUs on JD not long ago but they are now off the shelves. So I think this is a bit overkill for roobi.

Hmm, why is Radxa trying to limit the usefulness of the eMMC this way? Many users are just going to circumvent this and have an OS there, or some read-heavy data.

1 Like

It seems there’s an option in the bios

2 Likes

Maybe an os could be installed along side roobi?

I think it is feasible. If roobi supports UEFI, then you can dual boot roobi or linux/windows from eMMC.

Regarding eMMC interface, so far we seen either pads for soldering eMMC or socket to insert module,
Interesting idea come in jus announced orange pi 5 max:

Seems that they will have version with socket as well as soldered memory. I wonder if it’s possible to have both at same time and some switch to choose which one is active. This may be perfect solution for roobi os - solder small and read only eMMC and allow users to stick own modules and switch to them.

If you take a closer look, you will find that there is almost no space for eMMC b2b connectors on this board. This is because the N100 does not integrate Audio and GPIO, so two additional chips are needed. This takes up a lot of space.

emmc

Also I guess they want to avoid stability issues caused by random eMMC chips, which happened to both the Rock 5A and 5B.

2 Likes

Sure, but it’s the matter of design,
it’s just interesting idea to design both solutions for one board. As far as I can see now they will use either socket or soldered chip, two of them will not fit together as in this sbc.
Maybe it’s just possible to have both at once and some switching mechanism. On the other hand roobi is for burning the right image and You may be interested in burining that into second eMMC :slight_smile:

I agree that having both is a better solution. Maybe it will be worth having in the x4l or future products.

BTW: no cooling solution for board yet available, but I think that most heatsinks from computer modules should work, like this one:

1 Like

Mipi for lcd is have to be on this nice board

looks like a heatsink is planned

4 Likes

Very interesting. Any idea about when we will be able to buy (I mean really buy the card, not some announcement) ?

I wonder if like a X5 is planned. Rock5B+ has the perfect I/O in my opinion but paired with the n100 or (hopefully) N97 it would be an instant buy