Introduce ROCK 5B - ARM Desktop level SBC

Hi, I ordered (and paid) a long time ago (20 March 2022) 2 discount vouchers, 1 for each model, through AllNet but never received anything so far. Should I get these vouchers eventually automatically in my mail or should I do something first ?

1 Like

By “only”, you mean it will work only? since if it relies on USB, and USB is NC, then it won’t work if I’m right.
From my previous quote both UART and USB communication are supported, so should work through UART then.

you could use something like this for the 4g card (it works with all usb 4g m.2 cards): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002776899631.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.73621047NJTlvA&algo_pvid=b9f9e444-798a-4b27-86b2-a263ad6e08cd&algo_exp_id=b9f9e444-798a-4b27-86b2-a263ad6e08cd-14&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id"%3A"12000022135045307"}&pdp_npi=2%40dis!EUR!20.86!19.82!!!5.92!!%400b0a0ae216658367977037458eceb3!12000022135045307!sea&curPageLogUid=OxO6Gy8Ho571

Nope. The two products you linked both rely on USB for data transmission which is not available in Rock 5B’s key E slot.

Only with those being key B. And the products he linked to were not even M.2 cards but mPCIe (the connector standard) but of course not utilizing PCIe (the data transmission protocol).

Ok, thought one of the item was also UART as quoted from their description:

Both UART and USB communication with modules are available.

Found this other 4G module, in dongle form factor, using one of previous chip. At least I can’t go wrong with that if performing as good as others.

They are delivered automatically, and in the order they were made. As preorders started 9 January 2022, you’re a little back in the line, but you’ll get your order codes soon.

Note that for two, you’ll have to place two separate orders; only one code can be used at a time. You can contact Allnet China to have them shipped together.

As a datapoint, I ordered my AllNet code on Jan 27 2022 and have not received any communications yet either. I’d guess there’s significant demand and you’re pretty far down the queue (as I am).

Received the order invitation earlier today (pre-ordered 21 Jan)

Shipping is rough (17 USD), so it’s a pity I can’t get the passive aluminium enclosure together yet, but settled for the acrylic one for now.

Can’t wait to try it out as my new daily web machine!

did you order from ameridroid?

I got mine from allnet

oh allnet is so far allready i wonder where ameridroid is

I ordered from ameridroid early february 2022. I wonder when it will be shipped.

USB on the ROCK 5B E Key is available since most M.2 WiFi&BT cards uses PCIe for WiFi and USB for BT.

FYI:

I placed a pre-order on AllNetChina for 8GB version on 2nd february1:00AM (french time).
I just received two hours ago the link to buy it.

1 Like

Interesting why real Rock 5B have different mounting holes, CPU and memory locations then in most photos?
Main consern is if Raxda FAN 4012 (I’ve forgot to buy it) compatible with mounting holes and CPU

1 Like

The latest PCB version (ver 1.42) intentionally modified the mounting hole to be a more common configuration that is also used by a lot of PCH coolers, which will only make you get compatible coolers easier. It’s a 55mm distance mounting hole and you can get a lot of heatsinks that use the same mounting use this mounting hole, just be careful about the mounting direction(position of the “ears”) need to be the same as the official one.

There were few revisions of board, each with slightly reorganised elements, mounting holes, moved connectors etc. Of course accessories needs to be adjusted for this layout.

so will my pine64 rockpro cooler work with that modification

Probably not as the “ear” position is different

sad but luckly it is now also compatible with many chipset coolers