Introduce ROCK 5B - ARM Desktop level SBC

Music to my ears! I will wait anxiously for this on the Batocera site.

https://youtu.be/N4O5PqjeFN4 - dc to usb-c converter

If make usb-c as a usb slave device when use otg, can use other usually way offer power for rock pi 5b ?
So I think it would be better if it had a DC connector (like thinkboard,of coures,donā€™t instead of audio jack,itā€™s important).
Even if rock pi never use DC connector on previous products,maybe make change in this ITX size like dsi 2 lane changed to 4 lane,pcie point inward finally.
In addition, may has a mic onboard not only with 3.5 audio jack (or offer a mic socket) ļ¼Ÿ
Forgive me,I know I asked too much.

I think the Rock5b maybe quite a concrete design already but the mic according to Allnet is Audio 3.5mm jack with mic so its prob a mobile style TRRS type likely where a channel is for a mic.

I think the USB OTG is a limitation of the SoC and that its USB 2.0 only on the RK3588, my memory is bad at times but got it in my head the rk356x is the only one so far with usb3.0 OTG,

12v DC in & out again prob past point of changes but I will open up a discussion for maybe possible future changes.
I havenā€™t got any concrete solutions but the lack of a 12v bus is likely something that needs addressing and that the onboard 40 pin GPIO grabs a huge amount of space, never has enough pins so its always compromise on what the pin mux presents and always someone loses out to which pin mux is avail.
Also the pin mux and board routing often means its never completely Pi compatible its just this thing that looks Pi like that does something similar, but is never the same.

I have thought for a while higher density connectors such as flexible flat cables would likely make a much better job of distributing pin mux where a 40pin is offboard and merely the terminating connector that can mount on hex pillars if you wish so.
You could have a single 40pin with choice of 2x Flexible ribbons and have a choice of 80 pins from the mux without having to play hardware revision merry-go-round as you just swap the FPC over for a different pin mux or even have different 40 pin connector boards.

That would also likely free up space for DC power connectors also but which and what I dunno, but the connector I often question the most especially when its not 100% Pi compatible is the 40 pin GPIO.

hi, i would like to know the approximate release date of rock pi 5. A month or two? September?
best regards

3 Likes

to make the PCIe lanes on RK3588 to support GPU may be asking a bit too much. if we look at what Wiki says (assume they are correct), a x4 slot will supply 25W only, not 75W, which is available for x16 card only. I donā€™t really think a SBC is ā€œdesigned to be used with a GPUā€ actually, unless it is a speciality product.

if we consider major power draw
m.2 x4 = 25W
m.2 x1 = 10W
USB-A 3.0 x2 = 10W
USB-A 2.0 x2 = 5W
USB-C = ignore (supposed to be power supply)

thatā€™s 50W in total, though I think most ppl will use a NVMe SSD on m.2, of which 10W is normally sufficient, which make the power draw 35W. with 25W left I think it is more than sufficient for the SoC and accessories like 2.5GbE, in a 60W power envelope. a cheaper 45W USB-C adapter should also be feasible (15V@3A) if we donā€™t overload the SBC with all kind of USB devices.

If we insist on using a GPU on the x4, I donā€™t think we can do it unless we supply it with an extra 12V power source from ā€œsomewhere elseā€, and hopefully not routed on the SBC itself.

1 Like

Thank you Jack for you reply.

What was jackā€™s reply?
Iā€™ve been wondering about the release date too

1 Like

The way it works is that 1st or 2nd revision samples have been produced and these are handed out to developers and problems and errors are brought to the attention of Radxa.
Depending on what Devs find in use no-one knows how much is working and what revisions need to be done.

Its at that stage and likely more details will be unveiled next month with the current date I guess.
How much work, how complete, how many revisions are all questions like how long is a ball of string.
Until you unwind it and measure it no-one knows and they can only make guesstimates.

You arent from raxda and you answer??? If you dont know please calm down. No one asked you.
There is no answer from raxda team. My the last post was a sarcasmā€¦

1 Like

I havenā€™t got my Dev sample yet so yeah I pretty much know what stage things are at.
Dunno if I am late too the party or at the same time as others but donā€™t think it will harm to say so far the dev sample has not yet been received and that likely again just a guesstimate that the time frame for dev party might be approx right.

If you check github https://github.com/radxa/overlays/tree/main/arch/arm64/boot/dts/rockchip/overlays you can see Radxa is busy at work and currently adding much for the RK3588, but not finished yet and still at an early stage even though Radxa do have a quick product cycle.

Or even what I think are the 1st images specific for the Rock5b https://github.com/radxa-build/rock-5b/releases/tag/main-50d438d7

Bro take it easy. I know i feel your pain. All we have is eachother until our goodies have been released. These are the last 5 minutes of the countdownā€¦(although they feel much longerā€¦like months instead of minutes :frowning: )

3 Likes
1 Like

Hi ok good. But im buying more than 1 item and i would like plan my budget.
Will rock pi 5 be released by july 22-24rd or after that date, given the current state.

This is me making an educated guess as it is a how long is a piece of string question.
I would say that date is far too short as the RadxaZero2 Dev party was months ago and I am sat here confused to why its not been released as think its brilliant.

Its a bit like Raspberry who can be out of stock for months where something in the supply chain just makes things uneconomical or queued and guess maybe that has happened to the RZ2?

Being honest I would say to get dev party items shipped, get dev info, process possible new revisions, get built, packaged and ready to go, prob not a chance.
I would say Sept/Nov if things go very favourably, if that helps with plans.

Is the price of this going to keep skyrocketing?

I donā€™t ask this with any tone, purely curious ( :blush: ) ā€¦ as of right now my $50 rebate feels kind of pointless given its original pricing ā€¦ Iā€™m saying itā€™s maybe better for me to wash the $5 cost of the voucher.

( iā€™m unemployed, and hence the money is something i need to factor in )

Havenā€™t seen any mention of price change Eliot?

1 Like

Huh, thatā€™s strange ā€¦ only the price is listed on Ameridroid at $219 ā€¦ which is not whatā€™s listed in the below price listings.

Oh well, never mind, since the Dolby Vision isnā€™t a thing either, Iā€™ll just happily drop that $5 in Ameridroidā€™s pockets, and mute this thread, as itā€™s just a bit too expensive. Cheers anyway!

@hipboi Hi, Why donā€™t you use aliexpress as another channel for selling, which is convenient for customers?
For example, your competitors from firefly are actively using this site https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_9JfvnP

1 Like

For what Iā€™ve seen on Allnet they offer two shipping methods (Iā€™m in KY)
US Economy Express ( 7-15 working days ) $13.97, the 7-15 days probably not guaranteed
DHL Express (~5-10 days) $29.68, I personally havenā€™t have good experience with DHL, they always charge excessive amounts for brokerage fees.
In ameriDroid if you only get the board it will be most likely between $5-$10 for shipping since the board is not that big nor heavy.
For me I prefer to order locally, in case the board is damaged I just send it back to ameriDroid between the US instead of having to ship it all the way back to China. Also ameriDroid is taking pre-orders for the board so they can ship in that order, and I guess that Allnetchina will send an email when the boards are available so customers with the coupon can place the order then, but Iā€™m not sure about that.

2 Likes