Introduce ROCK 5B - ARM Desktop level SBC

Thanks for the reply! Just pre-ordered my 8gb, can’t wait to see it!

2-lanes mipi is a shame for such a powerful device. 4-lanes MIPI DSI and 4-lanes MIPI CSI for 5B.

1 Like

That’s a great news for the Rock 5!

Since it was mentioned in Allnet :

MIPI CSI 2 lanes via FPC connector, support up to 8MP camera

Can someone explain me what opportunities the hdmi in port provide?

Hi @fr0gro, as my Rock5 will be replacing an aging home theater PC (htpc), hdmi in gives the option for use as a digital audio input.

I think hdmi 2.0 gives 2 video and 4 audio streams and control sec and also ethernet so I dunno what is connected and what its capable of apart from

HDMI RX interface
 Support HDMI RX 2.0, up to 4K@60fps video input
 Support HDCP2.3

So looking like as @linuxlion says there is a keen media interest

Will the Rock 5 support OTG?

Actually, that spec just says that the RK3588 is capable of doing OTG, with limitations. That doesn’t state, that the Rock 5 has all necessary electronic components and connections to do so.

Though, as previous boards supported OTG, it’s likely that the Rock 5 will do too.

Firefly rk3588 test. When will rock 5 be ready to ship?
3 Likes

I am a Linux user and pre-ordered the 16 GB version. I am interested in 4 things. 1) Which m.2 wifi6e adapter is suitable? 2) Will there be support for HDMI 2.1 120hz monitor openGL hardware acceleration and hevc decoding? 3) what about the work of integrated TPU, will it work no worse than coral from google? 4) When will cooling and/or enclosure be available? I have vast experience in software testing and have been a fullstack developer for the last 3 years. If you need help with testing, I can help in my free time.

1 Like

The 6 tops NPU for me is a bit of an unknown as very little info, near none seems to be avail.
Coral is 4 tops int 8 peak but what 6 tops exactly refers to I dunno and its not like rockchip have an obvious product that is the same as standalone or on another soc.

my concern is more on whether RK3588 supports USB 3.0 OTG, but according to data sheet it does NOT. Thinking about the specification of RK3588 and the possibility of customisation, I think it does missed a couple points:

1. no support of DDR4, just LPDDR4 (and RK3568 does support DDR4)
  2. no support of USB 3.0 OTG (and again RK3568 does support that as well)

#1 means making the one like Firefly ITX board cheaper I guess, as it may be possible to use DDR4 DIMM (and we can install 32GB SO-DIMM easily); #2 means it can work as a more intelligence device, but USB 2.0 is way too slow nowadays.

The firefly ITX board also uses LPDDR as that is very in line with still a mobile style SoC and the ram is soldered on board and approx $20 for each 4gb upgrade with the Radxa whilst I think max with the firefly is 8gb.

Yeah its a shame and also strange to have 2x OTG but usb2.0 and not sure why rockchip went for that arrangement.
The channels and 32bit of lpddr vs ddr4 likely will matter little as its still a soc chip that the bottleneck is very likely not the lpddr and likely why no-one is offering ddr4.

Yep I know about the LPDDR4 “requirement” that it is the RK3588 SoC’s limitation, not something that Radxa can do anything about. I do found that DDR4 and LPDDR4 are slightly different interfaces and thus not interchangeable, hence why all RAM are soldered for RK3588 based design. Again, the odd thing is that RK3568 does support these two (DDR4 and USB 3.0 OTG)

For now I would just keep wait Rock 5 to come and start playing, as I don’t think Rockchip would release a new SoC before some date within 2025.

And on RAM price… https://www.dramexchange.com/
LPDDR4 is like $8.85 per 16Gb and DDR4 is slightly cheaper, though I guess some brand’s DIMM are using eTT ones, which is quite a bit cheaper.

Yeah I guess it was just focus of intended area as for me Rockchip aimed the RK356x chips at specific server bases and been a bit surprised by the general purpose SBC offerings.
RK3568 is more general purpose application base and why many of us are excited at its desktop potential from settop media to netbook/mini pc and make even Nucs look quite cumbersome.

Maybe that is the point as if you want usb3.0 OTG that for that style of application there are much lower cost RK356x options.
I actually think the RK356x had some amazing unique features but the offerings tried to encompass general purpose than specific roles and prob ended up poorer for it.
3x native sata on a ultra low cost SBC was one or 2.5x2/5x1 gbe ethernet never saw light of day.
Wish also they may of taken a similar format or at least something in the same vane with I/O all on one plane and a m.2 that does mount on board.

I really like the format of the Rock5 and only criticism is the onboard switches which hoping on release just become jumpers so like normal mobo’s they can be wired switches/jumpers/relays.
Also got my fingers crossed the rk3568 might get a an upgrade option of the more cores in the G710 gpu.
I guess with the HDMI(rx) in USB3.0 OTG might of had some uses but for most OTG operations I can think of USB2.0 still is enough.

Is there any expiration period for redeem codes?
Will it still be possible to use them, say, next year, to buy ROCK5B boards with a discount?

1 Like

Hello, I’m relatively new to the SBC world and I was wondering about the power supply specifications of ROCK 5 Model B.
Thanks

Sorry, but if you are “new to sbc world” - first read whole thread. To better understand what you are trying to buy

1 Like