Introduce ROCK 5B - ARM Desktop level SBC

you cant change the ram quantity at ordering time if the coupon should be still valid
but you can upgrade the ram by soldering on a new set of ram chips WARNING thats very dificoult and could destroy your rock 5b

ok will probably avoid upgrading ram for now. but good to know in case I need it in future

yes it never hurts to ask

Hello. Can we still get R3 codes to get discount?

No thats not possible anymore

hello i saw explainingcomputers has posted a video about the rock 5b: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w85QTDPp-4Q
he has a 4GB final 1.42 version

3 Likes

Got my device yesterday (ordered March 19 from Allnet). So far very pleased :wink: Iā€™ve successfully compiled a Yocto image for it. If s.o. is interested in using Yocto, maybe my meta layer might be helpful.

1 Like

Looks like weā€™re almost at the end of October and still no tracking info yet.

2 Likes

yes i am also still waiting on my tracking number

1 Like

You are not aloneā€¦ I hope that the delivery status will change at any momentā€¦

I have placed my 16GB preorder on the 2nd Feb. at Allnet
Got the code Email on the 18th this month and directly ordered it.
IIRC it was eight days in transit to germany with the cheaper shipping option.

So you will get them - keep calm :wave:

2 Likes

Yes, it seems allnet customers getting priority over ameridroid customersā€¦

5 Likes

Excited to get my Rock5ā€¦ Not excited for having to deal with Ameridroid. First and last time I purchase from them. Not because I donā€™t have it. Itā€™s because they have no idea whatā€™s going on, and they charged MORE than had I just gone through Allnet. Not to mention how they think they arenā€™t liable for a purchase if we donā€™t get their extra route protection. Unfortunate.

4 Likes

I tried to Armbian from this topic and graphic acceleration works well, glmark2-es2 score is 1039! But my intel AX210NGW m.2 adapter it doesnā€™t work on this build and also sometimes system freeze totally=( Anyway seemā€™s like this is good single board computer and i believe this problem will be solved (or on Armbian wifi drivers and stability or on official Debian distributive will be fixed video acceleration).

@j.memory
Many companies try and sale you on shipping protection but time and time again (at least in the US) it has been ruled on in court that until the package is delivered it is the responsibility of the sender. The only question is weather one person files a lawsuit over $150 or it happens to enough customers to warrant at class-action.

Iā€™m patiently waiting. Iā€™m also uneasy about the lack of info from Ameridroid but I also understand given how chaotic this launch was. Apparently they had the factory ship them direct to get them out to customers but no shipping or tracking info has been given to them. It could turn out to be messy.

2 Likes

Yes your opinoin is right and i didnt payed for shipping protection

2 Likes

I hope that it is not going to be problematic. Being as patient as possible as I have other projects I am working on. Getting my hands on the Rock5 isnā€™t anything urgent, but I wish Ameridroid was more vocal about whatā€™s happening and assertive. Itā€™s so weird to me that this is the approach theyā€™re taking.

1 Like

glmark2-es2 score is 1039 isnā€™t a really good score for a Mali G610 Mp4. The X11 driver is actually pretty bad.
If you want a good score the 4005 managed on a RK3588s with the Khadas image of Wayland and presumably the Egl driver is probably where things should be landing.

If you provide the same tweaks and environment which you need for benchmarks the opensource mesa drivers of the g52mp4 of the Amlogic A311D which supposedly was a slow implementation manages approximately the same and is 4 generations or Arm claims ahead and really should be compared with a g72mp4 or the g52mp4 with a g510mp4 as there are x4 models now with g310/g510 being the lower models and g610/g710 higher models.

The scores are massively better than anything many of us have seen before but still not good for what the Mali should be capable of that the better integrated Android drivers are producing or what the EGL driver can manage even if it seems unstable.
@icecream95 is doing a ton of work and may get things stable with panfork but have a hunch it probs needs some kernel additions to employ the CSF (Command Stream Frontend) than tweaking drivers to fit the gen1 Valhall frontend. Could be totally wrong there but on Linux it doesnā€™t seem totally happy yet.

https://developer.arm.com/documentation/102812/0102/GPU-activity?lang=en

khadas@Khadas:~$ glmark2-es2-wayland 
arm_release_ver of this libmali is 'g6p0-01eac0', rk_so_ver is '6'.
arm_release_ver of this libmali is 'g6p0-01eac0', rk_so_ver is '6'.
=======================================================
    glmark2 2021.02
    OpenGL Information
    GL_VENDOR:     ARM
    GL_RENDERER:   Mali-LODX
    GL_VERSION:    OpenGL ES 3.2 v1.g6p0-01eac0.ba52c908d926792b8f5fe28f383a2b03
[build] use-vbo=false: FPS: 4355 FrameTime: 0.230 ms
[build] use-vbo=true: FPS: 4991 FrameTime: 0.200 ms
[texture] texture-filter=nearest: FPS: 5970 FrameTime: 0.168 ms
[texture] texture-filter=linear: FPS: 5893 FrameTime: 0.170 ms
[texture] texture-filter=mipmap: FPS: 5608 FrameTime: 0.178 ms
[shading] shading=gouraud: FPS: 4256 FrameTime: 0.235 ms
[shading] shading=blinn-phong-inf: FPS: 4327 FrameTime: 0.231 ms
[shading] shading=phong: FPS: 4161 FrameTime: 0.240 ms
[shading] shading=cel: FPS: 4104 FrameTime: 0.244 ms
[bump] bump-render=high-poly: FPS: 2764 FrameTime: 0.362 ms
[bump] bump-render=normals: FPS: 6402 FrameTime: 0.156 ms
[bump] bump-render=height: FPS: 6343 FrameTime: 0.158 ms
[effect2d] kernel=0,1,0;1,-4,1;0,1,0;: FPS: 4992 FrameTime: 0.200 ms
[effect2d] kernel=1,1,1,1,1;1,1,1,1,1;1,1,1,1,1;: FPS: 3499 FrameTime: 0.286 ms
[pulsar] light=false:quads=5:texture=false: FPS: 5799 FrameTime: 0.172 ms
[desktop] blur-radius=5:effect=blur:passes=1:separable=true:windows=4: FPS: 1630 FrameTime: 0.613 ms
[desktop] effect=shadow:windows=4: FPS: 4561 FrameTime: 0.219 ms
[buffer] columns=200:interleave=false:update-dispersion=0.9:update-fraction=0.5:update-method=map: FPS: 556 FrameTime: 1.799 ms
[buffer] columns=200:interleave=false:update-dispersion=0.9:update-fraction=0.5:update-method=subdata: FPS: 505 FrameTime: 1.980 ms
[buffer] columns=200:interleave=true:update-dispersion=0.9:update-fraction=0.5:update-method=map: FPS: 856 FrameTime: 1.168 ms
[ideas] speed=duration: FPS: 2402 FrameTime: 0.416 ms
[jellyfish] <default>: FPS: 3955 FrameTime: 0.253 ms
[terrain] <default>: FPS: 305 FrameTime: 3.279 ms
[shadow] <default>: FPS: 3988 FrameTime: 0.251 ms
[refract] <default>: FPS: 667 FrameTime: 1.499 ms
[conditionals] fragment-steps=0:vertex-steps=0: FPS: 5024 FrameTime: 0.199 ms
[conditionals] fragment-steps=5:vertex-steps=0: FPS: 4575 FrameTime: 0.219 ms
[conditionals] fragment-steps=0:vertex-steps=5: FPS: 5055 FrameTime: 0.198 ms
[function] fragment-complexity=low:fragment-steps=5: FPS: 4917 FrameTime: 0.203 ms
[function] fragment-complexity=medium:fragment-steps=5: FPS: 4710 FrameTime: 0.212 ms
[loop] fragment-loop=false:fragment-steps=5:vertex-steps=5: FPS: 4959 FrameTime: 0.202 ms
[loop] fragment-steps=5:fragment-uniform=false:vertex-steps=5: FPS: 5140 FrameTime: 0.195 ms
[loop] fragment-steps=5:fragment-uniform=true:vertex-steps=5: FPS: 4913 FrameTime: 0.204 ms
                                  glmark2 Score: 4005 

Is what cnxsoft managed in https://www.cnx-software.com/2022/09/20/khadas-edge2-pro-review-rockchip-rk3588s-sbc-ubuntu-22-04/

Like all of you, we have been eagerly awaiting the release of the ROCK 5 Model B. Although we assisted Radxa at their request with the coupon and pre-order campaign, we ourselves have not received any units (early development, pre-production, or production). Understandably, release of the ROCK 5B is a huge undertaking with many moving parts and many parties to think about. Weā€™re trying to not take it too personally.

We have been pressing our factory representative daily for information. According to the information we have received, they have been shipping units to our customers for the past few days. They have told us they are prioritizing getting the preorders shipped rather than investing time in sending the tracking numbers to our customers. We are pressing them to send us the tracking numbers as soon as possible so we can update our customers ourselves.

The good news is that when weā€™ve checked to see if particular orders have already been shipped, we have been told that they have, so things seem to be moving along in the right direction.

We look forward to getting the ROCK 5B units in your hands quickly, and the tracking numbers as soon as possible.

We would have preferred to have received the shipment in advance here at our California warehouse where we could be in control over every step of the fulfillment process. However, overseas shipping plus the time spent in import control (Customs) would have added a significant delay to our customers receiving their units.

We are covering the 25% import tariff to shipments from China to the US - In the unlikely event you are a US customer and are charged an import tariff, please contact us using the link at the bottom of this message below and we will promptly take care of it.

Regarding the shipping insurance questions: Weā€™ve spent a huge amount of time and energy to come up with the best solution to covering packages once they leave our warehouse. This strategy is absolutely critical to keeping losses (and prices) as low as possible. Most shipping services offer little or no shipping insurance automatically, and it is extremely difficult and time consuming to recoup any funds from them if something does happen. Route Insurance will easily replace or refund any lost shipments which is why we recommend them. We have no control over the package once it leaves our hands, and having to raise prices to cover shipping claims is something we are trying to avoid. In most cases, the shipping insurance is around 3% of the value of the order which makes it an inexpensive way to save hassle for everyone.

With that said, we are still looking into other alternatives.

We are always happy to communicate with you. One of the easiest ways to communicate with us is our Contact page: https://ameridroid.com/pages/contact

Thanks for your support and patience. We were hoping for a smoother launch. By our reckoning (as the initial release was estimated to be in Q2 2022), the development and manufacturing delays have caused the release to be more chaotic than anyone would have hoped.

10 Likes

Thanks for the update Ameridroid.
Hopefully mine got shipped :smiley: