Introduce ROCK 5B - ARM Desktop level SBC

No need to use Google, just rely on @CNXSoft. This is public information thanks to him and setting the size of a BGA chip in metal can package in relation to a CSP package is most probably misleading. RK3588 even with same ball pitch needs to have a larger PCB area for the additional I/O pins alone.

And just a reminder (again): https://www.cnx-software.com/2022/04/19/roc-rk3588s-pc-first-rockchip-rk3588s-sbc-32gb-ram/#comment-591822

will there be an uefi to boot normaly with grub and or most linux distros

I tested this eMMC rom pine64 on rock3A, it worked and it was slightly faster than any other eMMC I have :slight_smile:

Totally agree :slight_smile:
Because of difficult availability of laptops and computers (with big nvme drives) some companies are buying what they can get and then replacing disks to something better. Thanks to that 256GB nvme are cheaper than good quality SD card and much more than eMMC.
Of course if You already have some eMMC still it’s worth to add it but it won’t be faster or bigger than m.2 :slight_smile:

RaspiKey is not that wonderful solution. It’s not compatible with every reader and device, still uses UHS-1 so won’t be better than good SD card. It’s big and expensive sd card, I think it’s just better to get any “high endurance” sd card than this. My raspikeys are not working on any pcie reader so I don’t use then at all.

1 Like

Quick reminder that bios/uefi is actually separated system, if you need it - you are going for wrong sbc. You need something like Huawei Taishan.

@hannes-campidell

1 Like

Just a matter of time until Jared or any of the other BSD heroes ports it over to RK3588…

Update: the alternative would be Radxa picking up Rockchip’s own EDK2 port.

For what its worth on the schedule: Mine was a early Jan reserve, just got my order notice today and got the order completed within about 5 minutes. Noticed no heat sink with fan still, so opted for just a heat sink. Will worry about a fan on my own when it arrives.

bought coupon Jan 11, just got an email and ordered my 16GB Version
I also ordered the Acrylic Protector which you can choose to be Active Cooling and it seems to include a fan and heatsink. We will see.

rock5activecooling

1 Like

i didnt notice that the fan was part of the protector. I had planned on shoving it into an extruded aluminium housing so didnt even look.

i have preorderd it at june 1st from ameridroid and i am curius when it will start shipping

All our ROCK5 units are shipping from the factory. They tell us they plan to have shipped all units by the end of October.

1 Like

I decided to throw in the towel on waiting for this Rock 5B device; a combination of missed deadlines plus the unexistent support from @allnetchina on both their website chat and e-mail support channels left a sour taste in my mouth.

Cheers to PayPal buyer protection for refunding my deposit. Good luck.

1 Like

Really? I was hoping I bought another coupon, but I didn’t, sigh…
I sent email by replying to the coupon email I got back in Jan, two times, and both were replied, though they just asked me to wait. Then last Sunday I got the order email, completed order, and have received my 16GB board already…

2 Likes

cool if all units will ship in october

1 Like

why did you delete this post?
just curius

I just realised it was on the allnet site, i should of looked first before asking :slight_smile:

oh ok that would be still interesting to know but i think for now ameridroid is faster with the preorders:

My is on the way since yeaterday.

oh cool is it a 16GB model, i have orderd a 16GB model