HDMI-in audio recording

I am trying to record signals from the HDMI-in on the Rock5B. I’m able to record video with hardware video transcoding successfully, using v4l2-ctl or gstreamer. But I’m having trouble recording audio.

When attempting the simplest test with ALSA’s arecord, I receive the following error:

# arecord -c 2 -r 48000 -f S16_LE -d 2 -D hw:4,0 test.wav
arecord: set_params:1416: Unable to install hw params:

At the same time, the following entry appears in dmesg

rockchip-i2s-tdm fddf8000.i2s: ASoC: error at snd_soc_dai_hw_params on fddf8000.i2s: -22

I saw in another thread that there was a recommendation to use PulseAudio instead of ALSA. Is it necessary to replace ALSA with Pulse for this to work? Should I fall back to using Radxa’s Debian instead of Armbian?

Some supplementary information:

arecord -l
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 3: rockchipes8316 [rockchip-es8316], device 0: dailink-multicodecs ES8316 HiFi-0 [dailink-multicodecs ES8316 HiFi-0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 4: rockchiphdmiin [rockchip,hdmiin], device 0: fddf8000.i2s-dummy_codec hdmiin-dc-0 [fddf8000.i2s-dummy_codec hdmiin-dc-0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Kernel: 5.10.160-rockchip-rk3588

Can anyone offer any assistance?

An update.

I reflashed my Rock5B with the official Jammy image (rock-5b_ubuntu_jammy_cli_b36.img) and it seems the audio recording works fine there.

So either this is a problem with Armbian or a problem with the newer kernel that image uses.