[Guide] FydeOS & openFyde - Rock 5B - the best option 🍺

Chromium Browser - Which with the LaCros Flags u will Get the LaCros Browser which is Chrome Browser.

You can install apks so yes. If it will run like a master piece I think not. Most likely as I said installing it on linux terminal will be better. I have not much interest in kodi as I said so its better if you try it and let me know.

Ok showing my lack of knowledge so the linux version of kodi runs great on fydeOS. The apk of kodi likely will look like a android app on a desktop screen…

No not that… it will run as u expect the issue is the performance… the fyde android sub system has its wierd moments where if nothing else is open it might run perfect… but if ure browsing and then out of nothing you decide to open a ‘Kodi’ most likely it will stutters… Its… something fydeOS has to figure I guess… their android sub system is not perfect and sometimes has some window’ing issues.

LaCros - Chromium.

Android Sub-System.

Kodi via Android APK.

Linux version of Kodi

1 Like

just curious: so in openfyde, Android is realized using AOSP source compiled (with rockchip patches for driver of course) to run inside Lxc? for me the ability to run Android apk “occasionally” like once a month is really my key target usage, while a regular ChroniumOS will work better IMO as a desktop OS than Ubuntu or Android.

on a regular desktop I am more or less “restricting” myself to do a few things like working with libreoffice stuffs, personal finance stuffs (homebank for now) and regular browsing, which I don’t think regular android in “desktop mode” will do me good.

at last, do you know if the NPU is also exposed in openfyde? do you know of anyone who tried tensorflow in this rock5b+openfyde setup?

not openfyde / chromiumos, but you may look into this one? hope this is helpful

That is from 9 months ago so guess an earlier Panfork than we have now. Not really in respect to FydeOS chromiumos which @DarkevilPT this is a question under the hood does openFyde/FydeOS use the android nnapi? Or does it have native?
I guess it maybe both as drop to the linux terminal and use rknpu2.
The npu by some is overrated as really its x3 cores running at 2 tops and the rating is int8 running a small model as it has to be when used the small reserved npu mem area.
The MaliG610 is actually mighty and seems to be equilivalent to 75% of the Bigcores running Neon optimised ML.
I did a hack or armNN to swap the tflite delegate from cpu to gpu so you can bench with a comparison so the RK3588(s) as a lot of relatively unused ML perf under the hood.

Reborn I sort of don’t like as my preference is for a vanilla desktop without pre-installed apps, a minimal desktop.
Hence my preference for https://github.com/Joshua-Riek/ubuntu-rockchip as everyhting needed under the hood is installed, but its a super clean distro as is the server image which I am more likely to use.

FydeOS isn’t really for me and might not be for a Rock5b but erm cough a cheaper version just as a simple very clean Kodi Browser experience which @DarkevilPT has provided great details on.
Wireless keyboard/trackpad that I may have to ilicit a valium supply to show grannies & aunties how to use it, but think without doubt its the cleanest and simplest which for targetted use is best.

1 Like

You guys are making me really hard questions to which I dont know the right answer perharps is better for yous to do some reading here: https://github.com/FydeOS-ArcHero/

Also I think most underestimate ChromeOS sure it will never be an full linux replacement to which yous are used to but for me its very well balanced.

I dont know nothing about NPU so idk what that stands for and what is it yous use it for …

and again… if all you want is Kodi maybe AndroidOS will be even more easier for the granny…

1 Like

NPU with my use scenario isn’t really needed in fact isn’t so cheers thanks for all the great info though.
Android via KB and mouse never again will I try that…
My Gran likes an old school nokia

1 Like

But openfyde/FydeOS ChromeOS/ChromiumOS are desktop environments made for mouse and keyboard…
You can connect an bluetooth controller sure but the environment is this:

AndroidOS is for controllers tv boxes and just ‘kodi’ mostly … as I said…grab this instead: https://store.google.com/gb/product/chromecast_google_tv?hl=en-GB

You just made me confuse with the Nokia part… this is easy as flashing an pen with chromeos flex and booting it up to see what it is…

Too old school for you :slight_smile: https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_gb/nokia-3310/buy

Not really my family had one… ‘Snake’ Challenge was the best.

1 Like

yep, that’s why I would be interested with openfyde in the first place: it gives a good reasonable “desktop” env, which IMO is nicer than the Linux desktop env I tried (Gnome, KDE…) being desktop is the first thing I want my Rock 5B to do, and then Android for apk, and then Linux for docker services like home assistant (but that need to have a working DSI monitor in my case, that’s why I asked in the very beginning)

I still need to drill a few more holes to mount my Rock 5B properly on an acrylic 2mm sheet, as there is no Rock 5B case that I really like, and I don’t have a 3D printer to try out modifying other’s STL files. I will postpone installing openfyde “for real” until I get another 512GB SSD first for US$25… SSDs are cheap these days…

1 Like

Hell Yeah ! If anything I am on the discord for a more quicker approach. I can say I am happy with it… it has met my needs.

Hello,

I installed openfyde on my new Rock 5B but I can’t set the correct resolution (5120 x 2160) of my LG Ultrawide. I have already set the overlays file /mnt/stateful_partition/fyde/Env.txt with this content:

overlays=rock-5b-hdmi1-8k rock-5b-hdmi2-8k

Any advices?

I dont think fyde supports them… you better join fyde telegram and see with one of the devs they might give u better insights on that matter.

1 Like

I got it.
overlays=rock-5b-hdmi1-8k rock-5b-hdmi2-8k dont’t work. With overlays=rock-5b-hdmi1-8k i can set the the resolution

Maybe 1 and 2 represent each hdmi port… idk. Im glad it worked out ! Happy Days !

Pretty sure you can only set 1 at any given time

aye he already got it sorted. Only one could be selected to work.

1 Like