First problem instalation nvme sorry my english

Hi. I have reached the last point of the installation tutorial with radxa nvme. I’ve managed to boot from nvme. There I have left things,
I can’t make the Step 3 Test M.2 NVME SSD booting from SPI Flash
from lsusb i get this
linaro@linaro-alip:~$ lsusb
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 046d:c52b Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
linaro@linaro-alip:~$
This are my questions

And I add one last question, I’m already running from nvme but trying to update and upgrade asks me again to say for yes or no that…
You are currently running on board:
ROCK PI 4B
There will be two steps that you have to confirm. One is upgrading bootloader on SPI Flash.
The other is upgrading bootloader on eMMC or uSD card.
What do I have to answer, yes or no?

To be quite honest with you, I’d recommend no. I’d recommend that you stop using that OS… it crashes like every night (Radxa’s Debian & Ubuntu builds) when you use WiFi.

Also when I do that update SPI flash for my boards… loading Android stops working without having to do jumper pins on like 25/26 or something. I’m not sure how to revert that update either on the SPI flash. I’ve recently got a USB-A to USB-A cable, but didn’t have any time to do further experimenting =|.

Consider using the Armbian images… particularly Stretch. I’ve tried their Buster image and ran into a few issues. Saves you hella time if you start from Armbian’s images instead.

The script’s hints are confusing, and we’ve improved on them.

Now first type YES and then NO.

How to boot Armbian SPI/NVME without sdcard?

For me, I purchased a USB A to USB A to transfer over the U-Boot files to the SPI Flash.

Here’s the files: https://dl.radxa.com/rockpi/images/loader/spi
Here’s the guide: https://wiki.radxa.com/Rockpi4/dev/spi-install

You will an another Ubuntu or Debian PC to perform it. Or if you use Apple, do-able as well. After that, you can use etcher or win32imager to write the image onto your nvme… pop it in and you should be good to go.

Kopono:Consider using the Armbian images… particularly Stretch. I’ve tried their Buster image and ran into a few issues. Saves you hella time if you start from Armbian’s images instead.<

I mean “Armbian”

I think it should work for Armbian.

From what I’m understanding from Radxa… is that there is a SPI flash module on the Rock Pi 4B v1.4 boards. This allows you to modify that to make the board read & boot from the NVMe module.

So you should be able to write the Armbian image onto the NVMe ssd without any other major changes… after you’ve done the SPI flash portion.

Ok, thanks for the replies. I’m going to move to Armbian. As soon as I have a little time I start trying. I hope to let it work. Saludos

it should, but not work
have you tried?

Nope, not yet. I still run my Armbian on the eMMC module and I then automount the NVMe for additional storage.

But hey, I am curious… which part isn’t working for you?

Just install the latest u-boot-spi in spi flash, and write Armbian in NVMe, it should boot.

maybe Samsung EVO 970 not boot SPI, works well sd-boot with Armbian
i try other nvme ssd

Hi,

yes, I am sorry that in bootloader, the Samsung EVO 970 is not supported. You can try other nvme ssd now or wait for this issue fixed. As far as I know, @ayufanpl is also working on this to fix his Intel nvme ssd.

samsung says vs intel nvme
samsung nvme not boot, vs () intel, it boot fine

reading /extlinux/extlinux.conf
598 bytes read in 0 ms // intel (598 bytes read in 1 ms (584 KiB/s))
select kernel

reading /vmlinuz-4.4.154-90-rockchip-ga14f6502e045
ERROR: status = 2013, phase = 1, head = 1
Error reading cluster

Hello question every time I try a different operating system do I have to reinstall boot-spi in spi flash? I wanted to run armbian from ssd nvme after the problem I had with the debian image and it didn’t work. First I had to record the micro sd and now I’m going to repeat the spi flash process and only then will I try again with armbian de nvme. Will it always be like this every time you want to change your operating system?
And I have another question: if I wanted to run Dietpi, which is based on debian buster, how do I follow the radxan guide where it suggests, to record the spi flash image add the radxa repositories if these are strech?

Once you have written u-boot-spi in SPI Flash, you don’t need to write it again. As long as the firmware/distribution supports sysboot, the bootloader in SPI can boot it. So just write Dietpi to NVMe, and it should boot.

I had this issue>

Step one: upgrade bootloader on SPI Flash
grep: /proc/mtd: No such file or directory
Boot device, SPI Flash, is not found. Make sure there is one SPI Flash on board.
You can install package rockpi4-dtbo later manually and uncomment three lines in file /boot/hw_intfc.conf.
intfc:uart4=off
intfc:spi1=on
intfc:dtoverlay=spi1-flash
After restarting the Pi, execute command, /usr/local/sbin/rockpi4b_upgrade_bootloader.sh.

What’s the output of dmesg | grep spi

Maybe @Stephen have some ideas?

Bad news. I tried many times to boot from nvme without getting it. Yesterday from Debian Microsd I did not start the desktop and when trying to perform the procedure to start from nvme, the console was blinking, and without knowing that my ssd nvme was going to be ruined, I turned off the computer. Now I run out of ssd nvme, with how expensive it is, and unable to launch rock pi, because I wanted it for that, until I have a new nvme. I feel disappointed, because it was not supposed to be so difficult. I am deceived.