Docker install problem

So this problem showed up when I was fixing the openvpn problem.

I did the upgrade and the update of ROCK3A, and docker shows this:

Setting up docker-ce (5:20.10.9~3-0~debian-buster) …
Job for docker.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See “systemctl status docker.service” and “journalctl -xe” for details.
invoke-rc.d: initscript docker, action “start” failed.
● docker.service - Docker Application Container Engine
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/docker.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2021-10-12 05:05:39 +03; 16ms ago
Docs: https://docs.docker.com
Process: 2512 ExecStart=/usr/bin/dockerd -H fd:// --containerd=/run/containerd/containerd.sock (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 2512 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
dpkg: error processing package docker-ce (–configure):
installed docker-ce package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
docker-ce
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

rock3a$ systemctl status docker.service
docker.service - Docker Application Container Engine
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/docker.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2021-10-12 05:22:06 +03; 40s ago
Docs: https://docs.docker.com
Process: 5314 ExecStart=/usr/bin/dockerd -H fd:// --containerd=/run/containerd/container>
Main PID: 5314 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Oct 12 05:22:06 rock3a systemd[1]: docker.service: Service RestartSec=2s expired, scheduli>
Oct 12 05:22:06 rock3a systemd[1]: docker.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter >
Oct 12 05:22:06 rock3a systemd[1]: Stopped Docker Application Container Engine.
Oct 12 05:22:06 rock3a systemd[1]: docker.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Oct 12 05:22:06 rock3a systemd[1]: docker.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Oct 12 05:22:06 rock3a systemd[1]: Failed to start Docker Application Container Engine.

2 Likes

The kernel supplied by Radxa for the Rock3 is too crippled to run Docker.

You will need to follow the instructions to build kernel+Debian, and then wade through the scripts & methods in order to get it all built and installed. It’s a bit of a mess.

You will also have problems with iptables (related to the docker issue), GPT partitions, and (adjusting) zramswap.
It’s quite a process!

OR checkout the OpenVPN thread for an updated kernel.

Having a quick look at the config, it looks like it’s more likely to support docker, but hasn’t got auditing, apparmor+selinux and hugetlb enabled, which the various docker and k3s check-config scripts look for.

1 Like

thanks for the reply, I was trying reinstall a lot while making some changes in the docker installer. Maybe the kernel or some packages aren’t mature enough for docker to work in Rock3A. It will take some time but it will work…hope so :smile:

Kernel that comes with the hardware is demo quality and will never get much better. It demonstrate hardware ability which is “job done” for people that sells hardware. There are a few of Rockchip and Radxa engineers doing ultra tiny changes … and that’s it.

Yeah this is bad, the board is cool and it is usefull for my purposes even with that old kernel. I’m setting my computer to compile some new kernels and see what happens with the board and debug…

I’m learning how to compile with image provided in the armbian docs. Tried with my Rock pi S. Could you point to some material of how to add and test new kernels in new boards?

Thanks for the reply too :slight_smile:

Mainlining / porting to “some new kernels” can easily costs several hundreds of thousands of $. Keeping support there needs some as well, unless you have (but you don’t) enough free workforce like Rpi does. Hardware vendor invest somewhere around nothing.

Rockpi S and E are not maintained anymore and download images will probably be dropped since its too big waste of time & money keeping them. Get some other board.

Start with FAQ.

I have the same problem while installing docker.
Install image “rock-3a-debian-buster-xfce4-arm64-20220302-0909-gpt.img”
Did you end up finding a solution to get docker working?

hi @Suveju,

No, I didn’t succeded in installing docker. It’s mainly because the kernel 4.19 is old to put docker, there are some stuff in some site about installing docker on older kernel, but the task is kind of demanding and requires some programming for that, it’s trick.Support to port docker to older kernel would be expensive. It’s better use the 5.10 or above that and then you can use docker normally (or more easy to install), my rock3a works docker with kernel above 5.10.

1 Like

What operating system did you install right now?

I’m using manjaro 5.17 now, throught CLI (from SSH), but I use too ARMBIAN images made by Catalinii, by me (from armbian build image tool) and other dudes from armbian and radxa discord.

1 Like