Boot from USB3 HDD

Trying to boot my rock5 from a usb3 hdd in a caddy. It works fine on my odroid N2 using petitboot. So I followed the wiki on flashing spi img file from inside linux on sdcard.
Shutdown remove sdcard attach usb3 cable reboot nothing on screen even with no sd or usb3 attached. So what should happen? Some kind of screen output from spi ? Spi should look for usb hd’s /boot which has all the kernel files that the sdcard has plus I reflashed the boot.cmd/scr so it has /dev/sda3 in it. I’m stumped.

I don’t think USB is a valid boot device at present. You can very likely put root on a USB drive, but without some hacking of U-Boot to get USB storage working there - at least a rebuild to enable it, but possibly more - you’ll need some internal storage, whether that’s SD, eMMC, or NVME, to hold the boot partition.

Yes boot sdcard with it pointing to usb3 does work well but not the solution.

I have already suggested this option and it will be implemented. Just be patient.

Installed new u-boot into SPI. It won’t boot my nvme distro’s anymore. Have to use sdcard now. Grr. Usb boot was supposedly added too and it don’t work either. This is with the latest v36 build and 5.10.110-11 kernel.

Read this topic.

Maybe we can use the Armbian SPI that supports it. I still have not tried it yet (waiting until i can push the second Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB), but you can already maybe try it.

Had to wipe the nvme drive and let deb B36 bullseye have its way. Boots/runs good fr nvme alone now.

How did you put the image on the NVME. Because i am trying almost everything, but it just wont boot.