Audio Jack broke off

I’m scared just ordered this:

2 Likes

This solution is very effective

so the solution is buying an extension cord?

The extension cord can change the position of the actual plug well and is a solution to the existing problem.

We will explain how we solved it here, at the right time in the future.

I had the same issue and wrote Radxa support to let them know of the issue, although I’m certain they already knew given the hot glue as a fix(?). If you do the same they’ll make you jump through some hoops i.e. taking pictures of the damage, in order to get a replacement. I’m not even sure whether it will be worth it if I have to cover shipping and import taxes again. sigh

The protective effect of hot melt adhesives is also limited

The audio jack is indeed a lack of consideration for our ROCK Pi 4 V1.3, we accept it modestly

We didn’t mean to design like this way, because of the back of the audio jack is a DDR chip

1 Like

Noticed the on ROCK Pi 4 V1.4 you use a different type of connector with a metal ring front, is this issue resolved in 1.4 then ???

Where did you see Rock Pi 4 V1.4? The pictures on Allnet still show V1.3

This is what Allnet sent me when i ordered last month. So assume thats what is shipping now.

I wonder what else was updated on the 1.4 version ?

First, I am sorry for Rocky and others’ bad experience. I have to say, this is a design/engineering tradeoff issue. As Luffy mentioned in previous post, the audio connector type on ROCK Pi 4 is SMT, usually this type of connector is used on products with case. We use it on ROCK Pi 4 because there is no space/room for the though hole connectors.

There are two legs for the current audio jack connector, which protect against the force from the direction of 3.5mm hole in Y axis. And we have tested in the factory on this connectors with hundreds times plugging/unplugging. It proves fine with normal plug/unplug. The glue is to prevent the force from the Z axis, which should not happen usually unless the plug/unplug direction is not exactly parallel with the connector(The case can prevent that). So if you need to plug/unplug the headphone many times, be careful and make sure not pull to the direction with angle.

1 Like

Rockpi4 the cheapest board with rk3399 on board. That’s the answer (:

Low cost is not the excuse for the quality. Low cost is only the business strategy and as we said, we want the users in less developed countries can afford it.

2 Likes

This happen to me also. Bad quality of jack and bad fixed on the board. When I was about to buy the board, the guys from AllNet were very kind, but when I reported the problem, they not even answered my e-mail. Desapointed.

What version do you have?

he has the version 1.3

@Pypirock: he (@py5pr) didn’t leave any indication of what version he has. For all anybody knows, it could be a 1.4 and was run over by a bulldozer.

The version is 1.3. Just for information, I didn’t force the male connector.

I broke mine is there any way to fix it myself or get access to audio out from pins ?

I broke mine too. The reseller who I purchased from offered to resolder it if the pins were intact (can be risky unless you are expert in soldering).

If your monitor has audio out support, can get audio via that route (thats what I am doing).
Kind regards.

Thanks @aaditya, I wanted to try hdmi out but as I explained here, I have sound issue on HDMI (maybe on both on android TV 7 and 9).

There is nothing risky about resoldering the audio jack if the pins are intact (they probably are NOT). Those pads are so big that a baboon with a soldering GUN could do it, blindfolded.