Android TV sound issue

Hi,

I installed the new Android TV version on a rockpie 4 (1.3). And I have sound issues with allmost all my apps (games, emulators, shadow PC) and sometime with youtube. I had no sound first and I needed to change Bitstream sounds options to spdif passtrough. I checked the performance and it doesn’t seem to be push too hard.

Does anyone had this issue ?

Do you use a SPDIF sound system?
Then you must set the sound output as SPDIF.
But I don’t understand since RockPi 4 doesn’t have a SPDIF port for sound output, so you will get no sound if you set it like this in Sound Settings.

If you use the audio line jack, then sound can be set to Default.
Maybe the audio jack driver settings are not set correctly and cause audio problems, then Radxa can investigate.

If you only use HDMI tv sound or HDMI AVR, you need to set the sound output to Bitstream.
Tv sound output can also work on Default.

If you have sound issues, please post a logcat you take after it happens, you need root access or can use adb so Radxa can check if there is something wrong on your side.

Ok thanks,

For info I had sound working with lagging noise (before I broke the mini jack) in both mini jack and HDMI at the same time only on SPDIF, bitstream didn’t work in both mini jack and HDMI. I’ll investigate the logs with adb.
Does any know the difference (or know some documentation) about the differences between the 3 modes ?

Cheers

I found the problem it was my PS4 controller which is detected as usb sounds controller.
I found a way to deactivate using the developer settings > deactivate usb sound.

For Bitstream or SPDIF audio, you can use Kodi(enable the audio settings AC3, DTS and transcode to AC3) or use Nova Video Player, it also has a passthrough setting that you can activate.
These 2 apps should work the best.

Yes, if a USB device has a microphone or speaker, it will try to route the sound over this.
It can be disabled in Developer Options to not route USB sound.
Maybe Radxa can move this menu and place it under the Sound menu in TvSettings, might be easier for users to find :slight_smile:

Just for info, I also realized there is some sound delay (100ms+), I didn’t know it was an Android architecture issue, Someone knows if having a usb controller (my mini jack is broken) will make things faster than hdmi. Overclocking the CPU can change something ?
I confirmed watching performance panel, app that force high cpu frequency have much less sound delay

Running smartphones in safe mode can help to solve the majority of issues to a large extent. Follow the given step-by-step procedure to perform this.

First of all, press and hold the Power and Volume down button. Here, you can see the Power menu having three options: Power off, Restart, and Emergency Mode. You can use this volume automatically down issue on Android.