Zero vs Zero 2, What is the difference?

Good info, thx @stuartiannaylor! When I first started reading about the Zero2 I checked out this comparison and my jaw dropped with how much of a performance increase Radxa is adding to this form factor: https://gadgetversus.com/processor/amlogic-s905y2-vs-amlogic-a311d/

I cut down a passive cooler to fit my Zero since it’s going to live in an utility closet. Active cooling the Zero2 seems like a strong option.

radxa rock5b = rk3588
khadas vim3 = a311d = radxa zero2 soc
radxa zero = s905y2

ncnn neural network benchmark (cpu time, less is better)

1 Like

Prob but don’t go crazy as a 12v fan on 5v is 42% and virt silent
5v fan on 3.3 is 66%
On ebay or ali 30/40mm are a couple of $

You just need a small movement of air over a heatsink to make a huge difference to a passive.
Generally nearest I get to an enclosure are hex studs as legs but prob blower type fan is better to fit a enclosure than an open chassis type a couple of dollar more than chassis fan but not huge.

But have to agree the Radxa Zero2 CPU, GPU & NPU in this format is a just got to get, I keep annoying the Radxa crew about when the next release revision will be avail.
Radxa a 12m heatsink fits as didn’t bother with the ram but maybe a idea in a small enclosure.

That rk3588 is just bat sh it crazy fast though :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info.!

Thanks @stuartiannaylor, this is good info!

For my current project, I picked up one of these lil fans to mount in the enclosure with the Zero and relays as needed.

I like the idea of connecting it at 3.3V to start rather than running full tilt. If it doesn’t get used this time, it will be ready for either the Zero2 or Rock5B :wink:

1 Like

Yeah 200ma supposedly there is 1amp on 3.3v but there is also the soc but pretty sure that should be ok, but on 3.3v that will drop to 0.132 I think.
I tend to go for 12v on 5v because of that but both work pi is only 500ma and I had one running fine.
Its amazing the difference what difference a minuscule amount of airflow can do.

I quite like the blower fans as they are quite easy to stick into place and just draw across an enclosure but sure you will be fine.

Oh, hello turbine fan, I haven’t used these yet but expect I will soon. Thanks for the tip!

Its just a fan like any other but rather than a big hole of fan diameter you can cut a small square hole for the inlet/exhaust depending on which way it spins, but can be more convenient to fit in an enclosure.