Yocto Project build for Rock 5C fails. missing "pam" in DISTRO_FEATURES

New to Rock 5C, following instructions to build Yocto Project core-image-minimal here:

quickly got:

ERROR: Nothing RPROVIDES ‘weston’ (but /home/rpjday/BOARDS/rockchip/rock5c/yocto-rockchip-sdk/build/../poky/meta/recipes-core/images/core-image-minimal.bb RDEPENDS on or otherwise requires it)
weston was skipped: missing required distro feature ‘pam’ (not in DISTRO_FEATURES)

I have no interest in a graphical desktop so I’m just as happy to not include anything related to weston, but for the sake of getting around this error, I added to my local.conf:

DISTRO_FEATURES:append = " pam"

It’s building but given that I was following the build instructions on that page, should I have expected this? Do the instructions need updating?

rday

For what it’s worth, I simply reduced the Rock 5C machine configuration file to skip all that “demo” stuff:

# include include/demo.conf

which obviously removes a ton of stuff that would have been included and built. Still, the online recipe should work as written.

The other thing you can do, which I’ve done in my local.conf, is:
DISTRO_FEATURES:remove = " directfb opengl wayland vulkan pulseaudio x11"
MACHINE_FEATURES:remove = " qvga screen qemu-usermode"

Which both cut back on the bloat and prevented the unneeded graphical interfaces from being built. I’m sure there’s a step further that could be taken, but that alone was sufficient.

Just had to BBMASK xorg-server and a few others.