Will there be a SATA Hat for the ROCK 5?

Will there be an SATA Hat for the ROCK 5 like there was for the Rock PI 4? Or will the old hat still work with the new board?

3 Likes

RK3588 has built-in SATA3.3
Would be nice to have it over GPIO

Hopefully the current Rock5b is set in stone as it is its pretty perfect but I keep hoping Realtek or someone they can source will provide a 5Gbe Phy as the RK3568 for me is pretty perfect for a JMB585 as it gives x5 Sata over a x2 PCIe3.0 m.2 slot at much lower cost.
The RK3568 also has built in sata and just x1 more is needed that with x6 ports your RAID options for ports provides for RAID 03, or 10 style RAIDs with a 3 way stripe or mirror.
I think its a shame that it followed the ‘Pi’ format of the RockPi4 but it can share the sata hat but you get another board and purely because of connectors the answer is probably no.

The sata hat takes a standard m.2 JMB585 controller and fixes it in this really inflexible hat where it only supports certain SBC’s and 2.5" drives.
All was needed was a power delivery board with connectors for sata power strips and we wouldn’t be asking these questions and the answer would be yes for all and also future product.
Also likely much cheaper as those jmb585 m.2 boards are now pretty cheap for anyone prepared to do a google and 5v+12v reg for the sata power strips is all that is needed to support all…

Also even though its USB heresy I think its still possible with the RK35xx boards to still have a USB3.0 to sata adapter but mention of that sort of fizzled out likely because it is USB spec heresy.

I am hoping a board insterted in the m-key m.2, like this:

This will expose the rk3588 SATA pins to a sata connector. Then one should switch the mux to enable SATA, instead of pci-express, somewhere in the devicetree

In theory this should work right?

Or is this the only way? Is this adapter for sale?

Nope.

The M.2 key M slot is PCIe only. Either x4 or 2 x x2 (confirmed just yesterday by @jack)

The three SATA lanes are all pinmuxed with PCIe Gen2 and/or USB3. One of these lanes is occupied by the RTL8125BG NIC, another is USB3 and the last one is routed to the M.2 key E slot. The latter defaults to PCIe Gen2 but can be turned into native SATA via a simple device-tree overlay (needs a mechanical adapter of course) and maybe the same is true for the USB3-A port. Maybe @jack will tell…

2 Likes

does it work on rock pi 5?

if not, are you guys going release one?

I cannot find the mechanical adapter for sale. I finally have the order email, but I would have liked to order this adapter along with the rock5b.

Is it possible to use a combination of the following instead?
:

Sorry to revive a completely dead topic, but I’d very much like to have a SATA hat to be able to build a storage box out of this super powerful board. Does anyone have any information if this will become available at some time in the future?

I bought a M.2 adapter for $10 on ebay to get a pair of SATA ports. Works great - didn’t have to do anything to make it work.

1 Like

Oh that works? Can you please share eBay link?

Yup:

I installed this on the top M.2 slot, so in theory you should be able to still use an NVMe drive on the bottom, but don’t quote me on that - not sure if doing this causes resources to be reallocated.

This thing is also nice since it has a little built-in blue LED that blinks when the disk is being read. Some pin headers would’ve been nice but this works fine.

1 Like

There is now this adapter board that can be used with the existing Penta SATA HAT: https://shop.allnetchina.cn/products/m-2-key-to-ipex, and tested out and works fine with my 5B board. Note that this takes the spot of the M.2 wifi/BT slot, and will not fit in the NVMe M.2 slot underneath (keyed differently).

The only other thing is that the GPIO header doesn’t line up, so you’d either need a longer IPEX cable, or a couple wires/ribbon cable for the GPIO. I’m currently just running four wires from the 5B to the HAT (power + SDA/SCL), as described at https://wiki.radxa.com/Penta_SATA_HAT. Also, their docs appear to be missing pin #6 for ground.

lspci:

lsblk:

penta sata hat connected:

1 Like

Thank you, I ordered one too! Already have a 2T nvme in the bottom slot so I hope it works, but it’s cheap enough to just give it a go.

This is some next level stuff I’d be willing to try if there is a complete kit available specifically for rockb5 with some nice metal housing so the board+drives are properly enclosed, cooled, powered, etc. Knowing myself it would just be a mess of cables, adapters and eventually I would bump into something and kill the setup. Very promising though this setup just works, thanks.

With 2 SATA ports I can just hookup 2 enclosures that have an eSATA port.

Thanks for these instructions on which pins to use, I was able to do the same with the Orange Pi 5 Plus (using the M.2 E key, the M key didn’t work on that either). This allows me to get two ethernet with the sata hat. Now just need a custom case to mount it all.

Does anyone know why exactly we can’t use the SATA hat into the M.2 M slot using the M.2 M to IPEX adapter that comes with the SATA hat for the Rock 4? I don’t understand how the pin mappings work, seems strange to the use M.2 E for drives instead of the M.2 M on the Rock 5B and Orange Pi 5.