WIFI on Manjaro

I feel like this problem is not about Manjaro but its about zero.
I have 2 boards in total. My first zero works great and there is no problem with wifi or anything.
I have the latest release of manjaro installed.

i got the second board yesterday and im dealing with wifi problem. I came to conclusion that its not the problem with the OS but it is with the zero board.

what doesnt makes sense to me is;
1st board > 4GB 64GB eMMC
2nd board > 4GB 128GB eMMC

I’ve checked the hardware on wiki and both uses same module

2GB or 4GB memory, it comes with AP6256 module

I wonder if they changed any firmware or any other setting / setup on the board ? its very much frustrating to deal with these problems in OS environment while the problem might exist on hardware…

Please share the output of the following command

sudo dmesg | grep brcm

Lets see what is the logs saying.

thank you, here is the log

You already have wifi on wl0

but it doesn’t connect…keep asking for password. and it doesnt connect at all.

Sound like channel incompatibility to me or maybe really a wrong password due to difference in keyboard layout? Or maybe wifi is overloaded with connections ?

Try to change channels on your wifi router, I don’t think it is an issue at zero’s end.

I got this error

Connection activation failed: (7) Secrets were required, but not provided

Then I checked for solution to fix it;

1st one didnt do much;

nmcli con delete <SSID>
nmcli dev wifi connect <SSID> password <password>

//////////////
2nd didnt work too

• Edit with sudo grants: /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
  • Add the next two lines:
 [device]
 wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no
  • Execute: sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager
  • Use your WiFi. :wink:

3rd attempt:)

I did factory reset on my modem & router. I thought maybe there was soo many connections or something else was going on.
but no luck…my other zero device works and connects.

new one doesnt .

as a note i did turn on show password for wifi and entered that way to check if i was making a mistake. but i was entering correctly.

1 Like

Sadly that’s a very rare case scenario.
Maybe Radxa team can advice if there is any change in the model you’re using.

Please wait till Monday when they’re back to work.

yes, i did give up and I will wait for Radxa team to advice.

Thanks again for the help @spikerguy

1 Like

Maybe play around with encryption standard on your router, and give 2.4G and 5G channel different SSID. Also if you use a model without onboard antenna you will need to connect one.

I actually have my setup that way, and that didnt help at all. As i mentioned on my comment that i did reset everything. At that time, i did separate the channels to see if that would make any difference.
But at the sametime , i have 2 models of zero and one of them works perfectly other one doesnt wanna connect or do anything.
I have 64GB 4GB version (works perfect)
128GB 4GB version (trouble maker)

is there any difference with batches you guys are selling ? or any firmware difference which might effect and create problem ?

You can read the version number on the PCB. It is right below the SoC with something like Radxa Zero V1.X.

You can also try running sudo rmmod brcmfmac && sudo modprobe brcmfmac to see if that brings back WiFi. There is report about it being a kernel bug. I’ll try verify this issue this week.

thank you…looking forward to it. I do feel that there is something going on for sure…

yes, i did try

sudo rmmod brcmfmac && sudo modprobe brcmfmac

Saddly it didnt work.

by the way, i just checked… both boards version is same.

Radxa Zero v1.51

How about lower the sdio frequency a little bit? @RadxaYuntian

Hi, today I installed Manjaro 20220214 dev release. I realized that wifi working while setting user informations (oem setup). After reboot wifi does not work. I am able to use wifi without any problem stable 21.12 release on uSD card. Is there any change on system that cause wifi problem on cleaning oem files process?

Having the same problem (no wifi) here on the 1GB, no eMMC varient.

After hours of messing around, I’ve identified the problem, at least for my case.

The Manjaro Radxa Zero images come with the ap6256-firmware package installed, which only provides firmware for the AP6256 chipset, NOT the AP6212 chipset.

I was able to get wifi working by cobbling together some files from around the internet (mostly armbian), and I’m working on making an AUR package (PKGBUILD) to automate the task. I’ll try to get Manjaro to accept upstream if possible…

One thing that’s annoying is that it’s hard to find the most up-to-date version(s) of the firmware. So, thus far, I’m using files that are many years old, and not terribly reliable. I.E. wifi doesn’t reconnect after reboot…

I’ll follow up with a link to the PKGBUILD when I’m done, but in the meantime, if anyone has any additional information, lemme know.

Cheers.

Turns out the linux-firmware package contains all required firmware but is not installed by default(on minimal build at least) and fails to load with:

[    7.350190] brcmfmac mmc2:0001:1: Direct firmware load for brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.radxa,zero.bin failed with error -2
[    7.370548] brcmfmac mmc2:0001:1: Direct firmware load for brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.radxa,zero.txt failed with error -2
[    7.370656] brcmfmac mmc2:0001:1: Direct firmware load for brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.txt failed with error -2

which can be easily fixed with:
ln -s /usr/lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.AP6212.txt /usr/lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.txt
or
ln -s /usr/lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.AP6212.txt /usr/lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.radxa,zero.txt

wifi now working as expected.

@spikerguy Can you take a look at this?

Will have to link 6212 also as we didnt add that one.