What is the architecture for the Rock4B?

Edit: the ‘architecture’ setting that I should use for compiling is armhf according to Radxa’s configuration file and the Rockchip documentation (for compiling).

So 32-bit with hardware floating point then.

Hi, martin

Currently the image released by us is armhf. If you want to build your own image, you can build either armhf or arm64.

where can we find documentation on how to build our own image? I happen to need an arm64 OS for my project. But I haven’t found a working image so far.

Hi, nimrod

There is a guide to build a image(32bit or 64bit) in Build ROCK Pi 4 Debian.

Thank you for adding this!

I’m asking this here so I don’t have to start a new thread.

Are all the “official” images (i.e. Ubuntu Server, Debian Desktop) 32bit or 64bit images? I would like to have a 64bit image and can’t believe we don’t have at least one official working and stable image that supports the hardware that is on the SBC,

Ubuntu is arm64 but only got that far, which is called Ubuntu Server but just the base.

DD the image
gunzip -c rockpi4b-ubuntu-bionic-minimal-20190104_2101-gpt.img.gz | sudo dd of=/dev/sda
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-minimal
That will prompt you for all the locale stuff.
Then
sudo apt-get install tasksel
sudo tasksel
Then pick what you want to install

Mate & Budgie desktop seem to install OK budgie looks quite good, mate seems lighter.
I am picking mate-desktop & open-ssh-server from tasksel and you can equally do a apt-get install but tasksel is convienient for various levels of knowledge

You might want to change /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf and append the video resolution for the console.

timeout 50
menu title select kernel

label kernel-4.4.154-59-rockchip-g5e70f14
    kernel /vmlinuz-4.4.154-59-rockchip-g5e70f14
    devicetreedir /dtbs/4.4.154-59-rockchip-g5e70f14
    append earlyprintk console=ttyFIQ0,1500000n8 rw init=/sbin/init root=PARTUUID=b921b045-1d rootwait rootfstype=ext4 video=1920x1080@60

Debian is ArmHF32 but full blown LXDE desktop

Thanks for the info. I’ll work on getting Ubuntu server up and running. I’ll probably run a lightweight desktop since I will be using it 99% headless.

If you are used to Ubuntu server just mind the serveball that for networking they have changed to netplan.
The usual config in /etc/network does nothing and you have to create yaml files in /etc/netplan.

Thanks for the additional info. I would have been looking everywhere on where to static configure my interfaces

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AocmAh35i26QiE2romV2T4pQSu-r

PS there is a 64bit stretch there as the compile is pretty easy.