What do we want in the next Rock Pi?

Then you will need two different device, one for 5V and one for 12V. And in that case it’s already pretty much DIY.

DC charger with a higher ampere output exist, but I haven’t been able to find one with a 4 pin molex. If it could take usb c then it would be no problem, because there are bountiful DC chargers that can even output 15A. https://www.amazon.de/Stromversorgung-Lichtstreifen-Fernseher-Verstärker-Kamerasystem/dp/B07L5GP7SD something like this would be perfect, for example. Enough power to power the rock pi plus 4 3.5" HDDs.

Would be more desirable to have either a different port or have a DC charger sold separately that works on the ports. One can buy every cable that connect to the rock pi on, for example allnet, except one that can power two of their products: the penta hat and disk bay.

@Devices, I guess you missed my point. You can’t power box from your screenshot by 12v alone. You need both 5V and 12V to power 3.5 hdd

@Devices just grab a PicoPSU from ebay/aliexpress and use 12V 10A+ DC5.5 power brick? Cheap and straightforward.

This looks like a nice one, any spec that you guys can provide? Seems like it comes with 2x GbE (not connected via USB I hope), m.2 2242 and 2280, 1x USB 3.0, 1x USB 2.0 and a SATA port. If it could come with a reasonable case, I will defintely sell my Pi 4 and get this. After all, new upgrade to Raspbian keeps breaking my customization, and I have enough of it.

I can think of a few “types” of cases:

1. one that can host 5x3.5" with 1x5 SATA port multiplier, for those who want to use it as NAS
  2. one that comes with a 2.5" bay (up to 15mm) for “normal user”, say at the buttom (that should allow using U.2 SSD, I hope)
  3. one that comes with no HDD space, for “normal user” as well
    all comes with at least SMA mounting holes for WiFi, and maybe options for fanless and fan?

and on top of the case (I really like the “style” of Pi’s armor heatsink) just leave enough space, or even mounting holes again for accessories.

And I think those “compute module” and “carry board” designs from Pi are also good (or even better). Maybe Rock Pi should also consider that.

I will be keen on Xiangshan RISC-V processor in the next Rock PI, with USB PD power supply ability like Rock Pi 4.

Also, ff next generation Rock Pi can be designed with raspberrypi case compatibility, it will be an advantage.

Is it known whether or not HDMI-CEC will be availabe?

Yes, HDMI-CEC is available.

forget to ask: does it happens to support DP alt mdoe over a charging / power supplying USB-C port?
and, would there be a “similar” board with RK3588 soon? as A76 is really much faster than A72 and A55…

For RK3588, sure. For rk3568, no.

Dunno (RK3588) as if like the A55 to A53 then it didn’t actually live up to Arm claims.
So doubt you will get much difference to a A72 but it is a octa core in a Big-Little config with A55.
Also being a 8nm process it should clock higher, but wondering if its got caught up in all the supply problems as even though it got announced it still doesn’t seem to exist on the rockchip site.
Also dunno what a Mali ‘Odin’ GPU is but the NPU of 6 Tops is pretty impressive.
Its a weird one as got heavily derailed by Covid and the 8nm supply shortages.

No idea as I don’t have exp with using the boards, but if the DMIPS is to be trusted as on wiki, A72 is around 4.5 (A55 is around 2.5) while A76 is around 9.5 to 10.5, so it is safe to assume it could be >100% faster per core on integer perf, and that’s what I am looking for. NPU is also interesting, but that’s totally new to me. I am yet to make use of my RTX 2060S to try different things out :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But of course, $$$ also matters, and I hope I could get that RK3588 SBC from Radxa with a reasonable enclosure (maybe one that can host a 7-15mm 2.5" HDD) say for US$100 perhaps. my Pi 4B 4GB was like US$70 with the enclosure.

Same and it was just from reading as the 2nd gens apart from process where not much faster. Its the process as its a 8nm opposed to 28nn for say an current rk3399.
Prob if you shrink the die of a rk3399 and it was also octo they would prob be about the same was all I was saying.
Prob is like GPUs fabrication queues on less 12nm are currently huge and guess they are demanding a premium.
As far as I know the RK3588 is on hold and the likes of Nvidia, M$, Sony and AMD have there foot far infront of Rockchip as if you look on the Rockchip site its not even published https://www.rock-chips.com/a/en/products/RK35_Series/index.html 3568 & 3566 is prob because the fab is 22 nm but the 3588 is nowhere to be seen and don’t know if anyone knows if it is going to see the light of day after this length of delay.

2 Likes

Given the high level of interest in the RK3588, it would be a shame if it does not see the light of day. But indeed, at this juncture it is beginning to appear as if it will not materialize.

If Rockchip are going to a release a flagship cpu its specs might already of shifted, as flagship specs get quickly dated.
It might still carry the same rk3588 moniker or maybe redesignated, but have a feeling whatever it is it might not be exactly the specs that expected a launch date in Q3/Q4 2020.

It will be really cool whenever it turns up, like gpu prices its hard to say, but expecting quite a wait before its a $100 SBC.

I wonder if Radxa has been given a few early 3588 chip prototypes whereby to begin designing SBC’s around them. Or if not even prototypes exist yet.

CPU architecture does change from A72 to A76 that it would lead to higher IPC (hence in WiKi ppl claims that it goes up 2x DMIPS from A72@4.5 to A76@9.5), where a simple die shrink would only help in power consumption (which is also a good thing, of course) and a bit high core frequency (but you still need a deeper pipeline in general to go for higher clock speed). Even if the Wiki figures are a bit off, the 2 extra core should definitely bring the overall perf up 100%, which is actually very nice.

RK3588 is going for (Samsung) 8nm which is what nVidia RTX 30s are using, so I think given the GPU shortage (AMD CEO said we can’t expect worldwide fab capacity to turn better until end of year) it is safe to assume Radxa could only get their RK3588 Rock Pi sample / dev board by then, and release the final production board in Q1 or Q2 next year. A long wait for me indeed, sigh.

Yeah suppose so as really its an upgrade from the 75 > 73 > 72 but yeah the 8nm is still a backlog and likely a long one as there is a lot of high price silicon that has its foot in the door.
I have wanted a new GPU for over a year but its just crazy prices still, double MRP!

True.
I don’t think anyone have recieved any prototype yet.

For me anyway the RK3588 isn’t all that big of a loss anyway as the general purpose application area is sort of getting crowded with options from various vendors where Intel to AMD are also converging.
I am a big fan of reuse and my $85 NUC (i5-4250U) that had 8gb & 120gb SSD has been great buy and still on my todo list is to do something with the $25 coral mini pcie 4tops NPU.
Got a strip down, clean and new thermal paste and maybe the fan is noisier than new but comes in great for trying X86 only software.

So maybe not another general purpose application SBC, the Radxa Zero looks really interesting for multimedia as its video & audio capabilities look really great and fretting at the moment that uniqueness hasn’t been lost whilst opting for pads general purpose.

The RockPiS should of been a great audio SoC but dunno why the ADC is so noisy and the fixed PDM mic array via the POE hat sort loses all flexibility and cost effectiveness which has been a shame.
The A35 are great low power cpus but the way the memory was implemented it also ended up a bit slower than I expected.

The RK3568 PCIE3.0 1 ×2Lanes/2 ×1Lane@8Gbps is interesting seen as how the Sata enclosure picked up so much interest, the onboard 0.8t NPU is a bit limited but again with PCIe like the NUC you could add a Coral accelerator.

EdgeAI in terms of development and investment has overtaken CloudAI and maybe its about modules such as the Rockchip imageAi dsp chips or the Chipintelli voiceAi chips or NPU’s.

Adafruit look like they are going to add a 4 channel ADC to there line for use with a Pi.

Depends on the cost but thinking of just hooking up 2x ADC to a Radxa Zero, would be great if the noise on the RockPiS ADC was fixed though as that was the unique selling point of that SoC.

I didn’t see the release of the Radxa Zero so was a little late to the party, could be very interesting and waiting for a delivery.