What do we want in the next Rock Pi?

I know, right? Who would want a Pico-ITX Windows 10 SBC nowadays?

I canā€™t tell if youā€™re trying to be funny, but if you want wintel trash, go to your local computer store. Theyā€™ve got tons of crap that nobody should ever want.

And FYI: ā€œPico-ITXā€ is a product, not a standard.

1 Like

Pico-ITX is a form factor.

1 Like

Sure.
If you donā€™t mind that it has a VIA CPU, which is part of its specifications.

Radxa is releasing a Pico-ITX x86 with an Intel quad core Z8300 Atom later this year, itā€™s called the Rock Pi X. Iā€™m just hoping for a more capable one in the near future.

1 Like

Could you please be more polite? If you disagree, you could offer some constructive criticism. For example, you could offer your own alternative feature list.

3 Likes

Could you please MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS?
There is no ā€œpoliteā€ way to tell a windoze flunky that theyā€™re saying stupid things.

Seeing a Rock Pi 4-like board (same form-factor and features including m.2 slot) but a bit more recent Intel CPU than Rock Pi X and 8GB LPDDR4 RAM would be nice. However, Pico ITX form-factor and 3 pin molex fan connector are very bad ideas in my opinion.

Another, more general point - there are projects that are attempting to write their own operating systems (for example, using the Rust programming language). It would be good if the Rock Pi or its successors could make it easy to port such systems to your hardware. I am not an expert in this but I suppose that the binary blobs that are used in current operating system builds for the Rock Pi would be a problem for this, so you might want to find a way of not requiring them. Similarly, some projects are trying to code on the bare hardware and they would have similar requirements.

I am looking for a smaller form factor rockpi quite similar to the raspberry pi zero W but with more power in the CPU and RAM and cost effective (like about 20$ maybe).
CpU -1.4Ghz 64-bit ARMv8
GPU-ARM Mali with 4k support
RAM -2 GB DDR4
Onboard wifi and RAM
30/40 pin EDP/MIPI connector
Micro USB / USB- C connector
Ability to run on standard Li-ion battery pack
Ability to run android natively
with this hardware, we can build a tiny touch screen lcd tablet that is customisable to run either android or a linux desktop.

@srinu57 ROCK Pi Z, on our roadmap, not exactly as your requirement but very close.

@Joe_G on our roadmap too, but I can not tell more at this time.

Sorry my Englisch is bad. I would like a pluggable power supply if the board is integrated on a board to work as a PLC. Since then the USB-C connection is somewhat unfavorable. Just plug in play. It should also be designed for + 24V so that a DC / DC converter does not always have to be used. My project does not allow such a part to be used from the space. it is also not possible to use the USB-C. Another pin header is needed for Power + 24V

See red marking

1 Like

Ok. Now I do know what i wanna. Short circuit protection. I tired of my Rock Pi just going in stasis mode in 10% of time i touch USB 3.0 or HDMI cable

1 Like

Rock Pi x2

In general i think a small board wil never outperform a big oneā€¦nor wil it ever be flexible enaugh to halflife upgrades,ā€¦
To my opinion the rockpi ā€¦is currently a toy and schould always be priced as one.
I would like to see the rockpi to evolve as a usefull toyā€¦with realistik expectations of its form factor i would like it to be centerd about browsing pc/makers tool.

Cpu
So stronger cpu/energy friendly/cheap mayby new ryzen v or r series?

Gpu
800 mhz + ( to make sure it hes enaugh juice for browsing/browsinggames for a couple of years)(since upgrading is no option witouth replacing the whole thing)

Ram*
Atleast 4Gb onboard ( incluudit in price) what would be nice would be a combination of onboard +so dimm expension slot.(to browse /play browsergames u need atleast 8gb)

Storage
Emmc onboard 64gb( incluudit in price) with M.2 expension slot

I/o
4xUsb 3.1
Lvds/ips onboard
Ethernet
Full size Hdmi
Audio jack out
Power plug with jack + mechenical atachment onboard
Onboard wifi /bluetooth( mouse and keyboard compactible)
No sdcard slot no need for it when u have enaugh 3.1 portsā€¦usb plug and play is easyer faster+ no need to buy sd usb converters.

New feature i would like to see incluudit is a baked in Built-in Arduino Co-processor: ATmega32u4ā€¦this would make this board more starters friendly + u buy a pc + a arduino great price argument (its the only reason why i would select a late panda above a rockpie x if i had to choose today)

1 Like

Just to be clear. Boards that you describe cost like NUC. 200$+. Why not go with NUC+arduino if you donā€™t need small sizes?

If we go bigger size its better to go micro itx packs bigger punch for the buck + is upradeble.looking for small with more fire power ā€¦the current x86 pi couldent hold its own against a modern mid range smart phone i know not fair to compare (x86 vs arm)
More ram/stronger processor/same form factor/around same priceā€¦
Phones get /laptops get better processor s every year and yet stay the same price Ā± so its definly possibleā€¦some up boards pack more power but there way overpricedā€¦because they know they currently lead the board

Example:

100 usd
I say strip it down down size it. Ad ramā€¦and it should be possible around 140 usd unless you say ddr4 8gb costs more then 40 usdā€¦keep in mind asrock already makes profit when they sell the board at 100 usdā€¦u need to add les features since its stripped version

Essentials

Performance

• of Cores4

• of Threads4

• Processor Base Frequency1.50 GHz

• Burst Frequency2.80 GHz

• Cache4 MB

• TDP10 W

Supplemental Information

• Embedded Options AvailableNo

• Product BriefView now

Memory Specifications

• Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type)8 GB

• Memory TypesDDR4/LPDDR4 upto 2400 MT/s

• Max # of Memory Channels2

• ECC Memory Supported ā€”No

Processor Graphics

• Processor Graphics ā€”IntelĀ® UHD Graphics 605

• Graphics Base Frequency250 MHz

• Graphics Burst Frequency800 MHz

• Graphics Video Max Memory8 GB

• Graphics OutputeDP/DP/HDMI/MIPI-DSI

• Execution Units18

• 4K SupportYes, at 60Hz

• DirectX* Support12

• OpenGL* Support4.4

• of Displays Supported ā€”3

• Device ID0x3184

Expansion Options

• PCI Express Revision2.0

• PCI Express Configurations ā€”1x4 + 1x2 or 4x1 or 2x1+1x2 + 1x2

• Max # of PCI Express Lanes6

I/O Specifications

• of USB Ports8

• USB Revision2.0/3.0

• Total # of SATA Ports2

• Integrated LANNo

• Integrated Wirelessā€”IntelĀ® Wireless-AC MAC

• General Purpose IOYes

• UARTYes

• Max # of SATA 6.0 Gb/s Ports2

Package Specifications

• Sockets SupportedFCBGA1090

• Max CPU Configuration1

• Thermal Solution Specification105 deg C

• TJUNCTION105 deg C

• Package Size25mm x 24mm

Advanced Technologies

• IntelĀ® Optaneā„¢ Memory Supported ā€”No

• IntelĀ® Speed Shift TechnologyNo

• IntelĀ® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 ā€”No

• IntelĀ® Turbo Boost Technology ā€”No

• IntelĀ® vProā„¢ Platform Eligibility ā€”No

• IntelĀ® Hyper-Threading Technology ā€”No

• IntelĀ® Virtualization Technology (VT-x) ā€”Yes

• IntelĀ® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d) ā€”Yes

• IntelĀ® VT-x with Extended Page Tables (EPT) ā€”Yes

• IntelĀ® 64 ā€”Yes

• Instruction Set64-bit

• Instruction Set ExtensionsIntelĀ® SSE4.2

• Idle StatesYes

• Enhanced Intel SpeedStepĀ® TechnologyYes

• Thermal Monitoring TechnologiesYes

• IntelĀ® Identity Protection Technology ā€”Yes

• IntelĀ® Smart Response TechnologyNo

Security & Reliability

• IntelĀ® AES New InstructionsYes

• Secure KeyYes

• IntelĀ® Software Guard Extensions (IntelĀ® SGX)Yes with IntelĀ® ME

• IntelĀ® Memory Protection Extensions (IntelĀ® MPX)Yes

• Execute Disable Bit ā€”Yes

• Anti-Theft TechnologyNo

• IntelĀ® OS GuardYes

Or any processor(embedded) with simular specs schould be prety cheap aswell since the latest one dates back 3 years ā€¦then theres the j4205 ā€¦ Even older i bet you can buy them at rock bottom now

I would like to see a PCIe x4 slot, for external gpuā€™s, etc.

I think improving the video player and codecs would be good. If I connect my Rock Pi to my 4k tv I have to scale down the resolution to get a full screen desktop. No issues with a monitor.

full function type-c support
like dp1.4 ,so we can build muti display screen
hdmi+typec dp