What do we want in the next Rock Pi?

True, but I love eye candy :laughing:

1 Like

There’s still no official mainline support for Rock Pi 4 and you’re talking about the next version? Get real.

Raspberry Pi is annoying because they require a forked kernel, but at least they’re tracking it, and due to their manpower they can get away with it. Raxda cannot, so they really neet to get their stuff into mainline. The RockPi4 is still on 4.4. That’s not a good long term strategy.

Yes I know the effort to get it all into mainline is almost done. That’s not the point, the point is we were stuck on 4.4 for ages. Who guarantees that RockPi5 won’t suffer a similar fate?

I also run my rockpi4b’s upside down with the heat sink on top and little pillar legs

• Then run a 40 pin gpio cable rather the ‘stacking’ extra boards
  • This has me moving the nmve extender to the screw holes on top of the heat sink

Issues to solve

• access to the emmc
  • protect the ssd flex cable
  • protect the sd card that stick out too far

and ship with pin header protection , having exposed +5v pins is too easy to short and
ruin the power management modules

3 Likes

Maybe we could add to the list a green led that is not so bright. It seems that the green lantern is in my room lol

Lols that green led is wicked init :slight_smile: they could prob change the pwm on or it something

Mainline is on the way, stay tuned. Check the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=022ROW2MsYQ&feature=youtu.be

NicoD is working on another video of mainline + open source gpu driver.

3 Likes

Have the SD card be better protected, perhaps by the PCB board. Right now, there is real risk either the microsd card itself snaps in half or the card slot itself.

Also, ability to drive more power to the USB ports. I use those ports to power other devices that do not fully follow USB standard. Would love to have all power-handling go through the USB-C power-port including USB power above standard for dumb devices.

Do you guys feel the need of more usb 3.0 entrances? A friend of mine got a sbc which I think that is nano pi that has four usb 3.0

The thing about nano pi while it does have 4 usb 3.0 ports there is only 2 USB 3.0 controllers, so in NanoPi you actually forced to use half of USB3.0 speed&power if you use wrong pair of them

1 Like

Yeah, finally someone points this out. It just “looks good on spec” :slight_smile:

I personally would love a second PCIe slot, in any form. Not sure if RK3358 will allow it though.

There is also a possible issue in the new Raspberry Pi 4b bettwen the usb 3.0 and the 2.4g wifi signal. It seems that the usb 3.0 gives some interference

http://www.raspberrypiwiki.com/index.php/File:Usb3-frequency-interference-papers.pdf

只要好用,价格高两倍也可以接受。本来你们的产品价格就已经很良心了。有点良心过头了

Your problems seem all to be software related (except M2 boot, which also can be solved by software)

Some info:

• Boot from EMMC: works, always did
  • Wireless: works, always did (try cevaps scripts/images)
  • Bluetooth: works (on boot and after cold/hot start it works for me only with cevap’s images, not sure if radxa made anything here)
  • Boot from M2: works directly with v1.4, v1.3 requires SD/eMMC for boot partition

I agree with you that RADXA should have had all those things working after flashing default image, like already stated:

Main critics still stay, HW is nothing worth if there is no software working with it properly. Whatever you do with your HW, invest please properly into customer relationship and marketing, you badly need it.

Offtopic: If you quit using it, would you want to sell it? If the price is good, I will buy it

please look at me, mipi csi must change to 4 data lane just like raspberry pi zero’s version(4 lane design, just like raspberry pi ‘Compute Module IO Board’ version used).
anywhere, if use 2 lane,you can use FFC to change to it.

1 Like

??? Isn’t the Rock Pi, the piece of hardware?

We’re not here asking about the RADXA team nor see comments about them. Take that stuff elsewhere. And talking back, when you’re obviously in the wrong? Don’t be a little child, take that BS over to Adafruit instead.

To stick to the topic tho… updated RK chip, more RAM, and would be cool if we can stick to the rPI form factor - maybe add a IR led on-board somewhere if possible - since a 2gb version would be great as a home media center.

I opt for:

• 2x or 4x real USB 3.0 going full speed (for SATA3 SSD, or even M.2)
  • Ethernet 1Gbps

Both above not interfering with each other = independent.

eMMC should stay, maybe some better speed should be able to achieve. Bigger selection of eMMC modules is needed on the market.
microSD card reader should be better = better performance for top cards (SanDisk Extreme etc.).

The “sdcard reader” is just a socket, that is wired directly into the SoC. The performance of it is therefore DIRECTLY a function of the SoC’s implementation of sdcard, and also the software implementation/configuration.

According to rk3399 specifications, it complies with SD3.0 (ref: http://rockchip.wikidot.com/rk3399), which should support a maximum bus speed of 104 MB/s. And now of course you are scratching your head wondering why you never saw anything much over 20. Maybe take a look here: SD card SDR104 mode support

2 Likes

The next Rock Pi:
Pico-ITX Form Factor
x86-64
Intel Pentium N4200 4 core CPU or Celeron N3350
1x M.2 ‘M key’ 2280
Integrated low profile heatsink
8GB LPDDR3-1866
2x USB3.0
Integrated WiFi
1x USB C(power)
1x HDMI
1x 3.5mm headphone
3 pin Molex fan connector
Boots Microsoft Windows 10
Configurable BIOS
Uses under 60 watts at full load.

3 Likes

@Joe_G: that is the stupidest set of wants I’ve ever seen. Guarantee that you would be the only one to buy one.