What do we want in the next Rock Pi?

it would help to have 8Gb RAM.
I also seem to have problems with overheating and Lock up of the Debian system. Some alteration to the cooling system would be great. Perhaps 2 x fans under base of blowing on to the heat sink fins.

Given that RK3568 and RK3588 were announced, any chance that we will see a new wave of Rock Pi with these new SoCs really soon?

Thinking about it again, I think the size of RK3588 model could actually go a bit bigger, given that the SoCs are expected to be much bigger than RPi’s BCM2835, just like the RK3399. I am thinking perhaps in the size of ~2.5" HDD is good? Hopefully it could support a 2280 only and 2242 only slot on the board directly (only = less mounting hole for PCB trace routing) And assuming that it is powered via USB-C, it would be good if the board could support USB-C DP Alt mode, such that it can be plugged into a computer monitor directly like a laptop.

I measured my Pi4 equipped with the armour case and its size is a tad smaller than a 2.5" HDD, while the thickness is close to a 3.5" HDD (>15mm). I think it is possible to make two types of “armour case like” enclosure? (those armour cases are really good for my Pi4) one that match the size of PCB with 2.5" HDD mounting holes, and one that match 3.5" HDD dimensions with mounting holes as well while supporting extra things like a twisted flat cable and extra PCB to mount 22110 SSD or alike, that it can fit into a 3.5" HDD drive bay easily (that would be for “fun” with PC integration)

Too bad that I think the Rockchip SoCs do not support PCIe end point (device) mode, or it would be even more interesting that it may even act as PC or server accelerator boards (say for machine learning)

for RK3568 based Rock Pi, I think the same sized ~2.5" HDD PCB would help? but hopefully it will be similar to the E model with support for onboard 1xGbE and 1x2.5GbE over PCIe (RTL8125 is good enough) for network applications with a 2242 slot available for WiFi module just as mentioned before (user upgradable WiFi is always good: maybe they want 802.11ad or 802.11ay, who knows)

Hiya, first post, here (second will likely be covering the same ground as a single post :sweat_smile:) … if love to have Radxa make the first board of this form factor with a dedicated, single, SATA port, with power output for one 3.5 sized HDD, as maybe an option instead of the m.2.

I believe that there are plenty of folks out there that can’t afford to buy new (or more) m.2 drives of increasing size, plus, they worry about SD card/emmc wear & tear. Such users would just like to simply plug in the one drive that they have sitting around to run their home server from.

Wishing all the best for future Radxa products, whatever way they decide to go!

@eliotcole with pcie x4 m.2 slot, you can use a 4x-5x or even 8x SATA controller, and hook up according number of drives. If you only need one drive, just use the cheapest 2-port SATA controller to save costs; putting a single SATA port instead of m.2 pcie on the board itself will ruin it.

2 Likes

I’d really love to see PCIe bifurcation support in the next flagship Rock Pi board, to use boards like this. Very sad RK3399 doesn’t support it, would buy this card for Rock Pi 4 otherwise.

I want a miniPCIe version (see here Rock MiniPCIe X). It’s a bit offtopic because it’s not a Pi at all.

If I understand correctly, it can (combined with my idea) give a cluster of Rock miniPCIe X attached to a Rock Pi :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I remember I’ve tried to answer the next post. Maybe this time…

1 Like

@NickDoom yes, it would. However, just using ethernet to bridge SBCs in the cluster is much easier from technical standpoint.

How about one that actually works the way it us supposed to. Oops, did I say that? Fat chanxe Radaxa will ever release that.

Rock Pi 5C (listing my desired changes/improvements from the 4C)
RK3588 CPU
Much faster GPU
8GB LPDDR
32 GB EMMC
Ships standard with heavy full board size finned aluminum heat sink

How far off in time is something along these lines?

Long long or maybe very long time.
No one knows yet. There is no news from Rockchip about RK3588 but RK3568/3566 is in production already.

OK, for the interim Rock Pi 4.5A/B/C

OP1 CPU @ 2.0 or 2.2 GHZ
2/4/8 GB LPDDR (for A/B/C respectively)
Consistent Availability
Decent Price, which is more competitive With RPi4B (including delivery costs)

ROCK Pi 4 A/B Plus is OP1 with max 4GB LPDDR4. Coming soon this summer.

1 Like

How soon will specs for the 4A+ and 4B+ be released. Will there also be a 4C+?

New form factor for the next gen ROCK Pi.

M.2 2280 is at the bottom.

6 Likes

Am I looking at an Odroid N2+ killer?

Hello there :smiley:

Will there be a RK3566 or RK3568 based SBC in the 85 x 56 mm form factor as well? And with a feature set akin to the 4B or 4C…?

What about a Rock Pi board that fits into a Pinebook pro, and powers up / charges by 5 Volt flat Power Banks, with IR sensor and sim ( LTE ) slot (s).

Or A completely modular approach to the RPi form factor, which would enable a completely flat interface instead of the RPi brick format that suits absolutely nowhere. while still retaining backwards compatibility with the RPi brick shape.

Or why not enter the future of laundrable electronics by sneaking in optical PHY:s and or even optical PCB wiring?
Thanks 4 my 20 Agoras.