What do we want in the next Rock Pi?

If the RK3588 remains stalled, here’s a thought for an upcoming Rock Pi 5. Amlogic has apparently just released some specs for its new Amlogic A311D2 upgrade to the already pretty amazing A311D CPU. Up to 16GB memory, and a faster Mali 52 GPU are among the features.

I think that it will be waste of effort, there is not much to gain in case of cpu performance - A311/S922 can do almost the same, gpu is also more like gradual improvement than leap forward from S922, yet we are trading I/O for that - rk3399 have more pcie bandwith overall and usb ports, so it’s still more flexible platform, and even A311D2 improvements in this case give us pcie x1 and usb 3.0 x1.

To sum it up, if rk3399 could compete with S922, A311D2 will not change a lot, especially that acording to @jack rk3588 - and therefore rock pi 5 - should be out before new year.

1 Like

But the RK3399 is only about half as fast as the S922/A311D, and its worse than that on graphics, so just how is the RK3399 competing? The A311D2 would be a huge improvement.

Perhaps if the RK3588 is a lock for the Rock Pi 5, the A311D2 could be considered for a Rock 3A Plus.

In real world use, it is the opposite. Allysa explained it in one of her post that rk3399 gpu gives better performance than s922x due to its memory bandwidth.

RK3588 is further delayed so mostly next year we might get working samples.

2 Likes

@hipboi where and when can I get a unit to test?

Which SBC are you referring to?

ROCK5? It’s under development.

My wish list for next board:

• M.2 slot with 4x pcie lanes like on nanopc t4 - that makes this board best in terms of nvme speed
  • 16GB RAM option
  • Slot M.2 E with 2x pcie lanes to support google coral dual edge adapter
  • 2.5GB ethernet is future
  • i personally preffer usb-c instead of bigger USB
1 Like

I would add to it :

• 32GB RAM option - looking at history, this board will be with us for a few years as boards with rk3399 did, so it can be handy to have few gb more
  • 5/10gbe network options - looking at pcie ports on rk3588 it should be possible and maybe something more than 2.5gbe will be possible to feed with new cpu in NAS use case (wishfull thinking xD)
3 Likes

Maybe a little kernel upgrade will be welcome? Can latest LTS kernel (5.15) adopt to new rock pi?

2 Likes

Hello jack,

Is there an estimated date for E25? We’re excited about the dual 2.5Gbps ethernet for DIY routers :slight_smile:!

1 Like

Sooon, I expect next week, but if not, the week after next week. A bunch of project undergoing, super busy at the moment.

2 Likes

Interesting to know about this.
So is e25 work rk3566 and dual 2.5g ?
I cant wait to get it working with opnsense and replace by current rockpiE

E25 is RK3588 with dual 2.5G with:

• 4G/5G cellular card support
  • SATA 2242 support
  • WiFi 5/6 AP card support

A lot of possibilities.

1 Like

Hi,
I expect the NVMe SSD is completely under the brand new SBC.
Please see the next picture. Totally compact size is better.

Thanks.

####################
3588?

Damn that’s a lot of power for a firewall appliance and we need it to have full firewall use cases.

Ids/ips
Dns controller.
Web proxy.
Zenarmor
Etc.

Totally agree - with flex cable that makes no difference and some small nvme drives 2230 would be nice to install under board. On nano pc t4 big module fits under board just fine.
If slot can’t be rotated by 180 degrees just move it further to make it possible to screw smallest 2230 modules.

What about dedicated Coresight 10 debug port?Since there are 3x M0 cores and Jlink is about to support ARMv8.2-A in 2022

Just saw e23 images in the gif of the forum rock3 category.

Now what’s E23?

Found it
https://wiki.radxa.com/E23

1 Like

On the chip there is RK3328 so it may be not this board… Should be RK3566.