USB wifi keyboard/trackpad poor performance since updating to Manjaro Arm linux-5.18.0-4-aarch64 kernel

The linux kernel linux-5.18.0-4-aarch64 has multiple regressions for RockPi4B+. Previous kernel linux-5.17.9-2-aarch64 did not have these problems.

Wifi trackpad becomes almost unusable sometimes when resource intensive programs are running (eg chromium or mpv), it can take 30 seconds to move the mouse from one side of the screen to the other. Problem goes away when reverting to old kernel. The wifi keyboard also misses many keypresses and sometimes repeats keys when mpv or chromium is running too.

This fix is proposed for RaspberryPi users:

Edit /boot/config.txt (with sudo or as root) and change the line dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d to dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d-pi4 .

This file does not exist on my system, is there an equivalent file for Manjaro/RockPi4?

No nothing like that for rockpi device.

Let me test the latest kernel on the device. Which DE are you using?

1 Like

I had the issue with sway (version 1.7)

Hi spikerguy (and anyone else who sees this problem),

I have tried the new kernel again, this time using sway-git from ArchLinux AUR, which is installed with CAP_SYS_NICE. I also installed tlp and changed the CPU_SCALING_GOVERNOR_ON_AC=performance (it was on schedutil before).

I have just tried the trackpad and keyboard for a few minutes while mpv and chronmium are running. So far it is working fine with the linux kernel linux-5.18.0-4-aarch64 :slight_smile:

Possibly the problem seen by the RaspberryPi people was unrelated…

1 Like

So it must be regression in sway package.

Will inform sway maintainer.

Thanks for testing and reporting.

1 Like