Ubuntu server with NFSD

Has any successfully built an image for Ubuntu Server that includes support NFS server? To do that, CONFIG_NFSD has to be set, and it is not set in the December 2018 image. While I understand the kernel build process in general, and have done it for more standard Linux platforms, I’d like to avoid the steep learning curve that is likely involved with building kernels for Rock Pi.

FYI: CONFIG_NFSD is needed because it enables support for proc-fs-nfsd, the pseudo-filesystem that makes /proc/fs/nfsd work. Without it, nfsd-kernel-server does not initialize.

Hi, @gdf

Kernel supports NFSD after version 4.4.154-82-rockchip.
You can try to update your kernel according to
https://wiki.radxa.com/Rockpi4/radxa-apt.

Thanks! I managed to do that successfully. I’m still not able to get nfs-kernel-server running – now hanging on not being able to mount rpc_pipefs and nfsd filesystems. This is mainly a matter of my not understanding the whole picture of the dependencies for NFS service, so if anyone has successfully gotten NFS server to work. I’d be interested in hearing about it.

One last thought - samba works, so I’ll use that instead.

You must enjoy pain.

Hi gdf, I will look at it today.

Hi gdf,

Can you post the result of uname -a ?

Linux localhost.localdomain 4.4.154-87-rockchip-00029-g8216f17 #2 SMP Sat Jun 22 11:06:39 CST 2019 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

I can run NFSD correctly with 4.4.154-87-rockchip.

Please provide some other information, such as

sudo systemctl status nfs-kernel-server