Uboot doesn't load overlay files

Another problem I am having with uboot is that it refuses to load overlay files.
When I run the following command :
setenv load_addr $ramdisk_addr_r
fatload mmc 1:1 ${load_addr} rockchip/overlays/${overlay_file}.dtbo
fdt apply ${load_addr}

I get the following output in uboot :
failed on fdt_overlay_apply(): FDT_ERR_NOTFOUND

overlays are now loading when using the cm3 io board : https://github.com/flatmax/buildroot.rockchip/blob/master/configs/cm3_defconfig

1 Like

Can you tell me if you were ever to get any overlay recognized during boot on the CM3 IO board? We are desperate. Please, someone help. Any image…just a starting point.

hi - yes it is working

1 Like

I got it finally but had to append overlays to extlinux.conf

oh that is interesting - do you have a repo demonstrating how to setup/use extlinux.conf ?

All I’ve been doing is simply compiling my dtbo and appending it in the list of dtbo files already there. I compile the dts like this

sudo dtc -@ -H epapr -O dtb -o /boot/dtbs/$(uname -r)/rockchip/overlay/spdif-codecs.dtbo -Wno-unit_address_vs_reg ~/dts-sources/spdif-codecs.dts

This results in appending the file to the end of the list in /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf

/dtbs/4.19.193-56-rockchip-gf62b47f70096/rockchip/overlay/spdif-codecs.dtbo

I see them picked up on boot. I still can’t get I2S to work correctly (cpu in slave mode) but at least it boots and I can see my sound card in alsa under aplay -L