With people working on getting Arch working thought I would attempt Manjaro. I am not really exactly sure what I am doing and I am sure a lot of this could be done using dd, but I am following close to what I saw users doing with Arch. I am doing this for fun, and was innebriated during all of this. This is NOT a best effort, but a likely bad idea spawned from boredom and curiosity. These are the steps I tried and what I got as a result.
Burn Armbian Image.
It shouldn’t really matter which one from what I understand, but I used Jammy Minimal CLI
Replace rootfs with one from Manjaro.
This is where I things deviated, where Arch has it in a neat tarball to extract after remaking the partition, Manjaro doesn’t ship that from what I could find. So I downloaded the generic arm image with gnome and used gnome disk utility to create a partition image of the root partition of the Manjaro boot media mounted as a loop-back.
I then used parted to resize the partition to be larger than the Image I retrieved earlier. I put it to 8GB for a little overhead. I used parted instead of continuing with the gnome utility because I was getting errors when I tried to resize with that.
I then returned to the gnome utility and started restoring the image to the root partition, taking note of the uuid before hand.
Fix UUID or adjust fstab
I chose to use e2fsck and then tune2fs to set the UUID back to what was already set on the armbian image.
I popped it in my board, hooked up my UART, turned on my PSU and…
this is where things broke down and I gave up and decided to post my results here. In hopes someone else figures it out.
The only thing I am sure of that’s wrong is there is that things are being mounted as read only. I have never done anything like this before so I might be missing something obvious, or did something stupid that broke it. Either way, I am going to try to look more into this over the weekend.