Swap memory disabled at kernel level

Swap memory functionality is disabled at kernel level. Is this disabled on purpose, being an embedded board?
Would it be added later? or we need to build kernel from source in order to get this functionality?

total used free shared buff/cache available
Mem: 426M 46M 94M 21M 284M 329M
Swap: 0B 0B 0B

Have you installed zram-config?
Or does it not work?

I haven’t installed it, but I tried the conventional swap enabling commands which didn’t work

thank you

+1 - I tried to enable zram but the default kernel shipped with Debian has ALL swap features disables. No possibility to use zram or any file/device as swap :frowning:
I was able to use swap with a manually compiled kernel but as the standard RAM is not sufficient to build I needed to cross compile following the descriptions on the developer page. With the updated and swap enabled kernel installed and 1G swap added I was able to compile the kernel on the Rock Pi S itself… but this is a pain for long term maintenance. I would rather like to get a kernel with required featured upstream…

Also missing in default kernel shipment: iptables support, network bridging.

Details:
root@rockpis:~# iptables -F
modprobe: FATAL: Module ip_tables not found in directory /lib/modules/4.4.143-23-rockchip-g394d86b2b38b
iptables v1.6.0: can’t initialize iptables table `filter’: Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

ok.

It will be added in the next kernel release.

ROCK Pi S Kernel is updated to version 4.4.143-30-rockchip, which includes many
network modules enabled.

Yeah, thanks just tried this with the new debian buster release and I really like this - now I don’t need to manually compile a custom kernel. Just still ny test to implement a NAT router seems to be not working… but this might be caused by other problems… will troubleshoot there.